Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Egg fest

Options
Went to my first egg fest today in LongWood Florida.
 Not sure how I'm supposed to feel about this fest. Only about 15 cooks, maybe about 75-100 customers.  most of the food were small hors d'oeuvres.  One person was cooking pizza another one had wings.  It was definitely interesting smelling all the different types of food being cooked at one time.
 I was expecting to try some pretty bad ass food like brisket, pulled pork, etc.

Seems like most of the vendors there had their own little barbecue businesses and we're promoting their spices, rubs etc. 

But on the bright side I did pick up a smoke where cap for my eggs as well as the adapter for my mini max and I also got one of those Kick ash basket for my minimax.  The guy said it was highly recommended for the minimax over my extra large because this will get a lot more airflow to the lump since these little eggs do you have an issue with getting up to temperature.  Plus all these accessories were 15% off..

I also spoke with the owner of flame boss for about 10 minutes.  Told her some features that I was looking for if I ever decided to swap out my DigiQDX2 unit and she told me that their company is working on somethings that will be out hopefully by next year.
 The one thing I did like about flame boss that I did not know is they are located here in Central Florida about an hour south of me 
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I love watching other people spend money!

Enjoy the new toys!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,973
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Most cooks don't do overnight cooks, so brisket and fresh pulled pork are very unusual to see at a fest. I suggest the BIG one, Eggtoberfest in Atlanta if you want to see large teams of cooks pulling off overnighters. 

The fest isn't over til 5PM, who knows what you missed by leaving early!

But I hope you enjoyed the your first fest and got some new ideas. Have fun with your new Eggsessories!

Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,529
    edited November 2016
    Options
    nice toys!

how was Pat's picanha? he's an old timer on the other forum...
    (Pat, if you're reading this, hope you don't mind me stealing your photos!)

couple of other great grubs I saw...

canuckland
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I deff didn't see any of that ^^^. I left a little after 1pm. Got there at 930ish
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Eggfests are a lot of work for ma and pa operations. I'm really impressed by the work the members do to hold their own BBQ fests. Keep in mind the time and effort the cooks donate to the events. My advice is to cook next year. You will only make the event better. You will meet some good friends too. 
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I'm not complaining, hope I didn't come off that way. Just saying this was my first event and wasn't sure what to expect.. thought it was going to be a lot bigger
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Come to Ga Mtn eggfest in the spring. It's more what you were thinking, but not as big as eggtoberfest. A few hundred cooks, a few thousand tasters. Lots of "different stuff". However, the idea is a bite here, a bite there. Don't expect big portions. 
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I didn't expect big lunch portions. I knew it was finger food sizes lol
  • saratoga2323
    Options
    If this was your first fest, I could see your thoughts.  It is one of the smaller ones, but that doesn't take away from what the cooks do for you, the taster.  Jen and Rick make everything from scratch, even her frosting on her pumpkin muffins......her breakfast strata was so good.  Chris from Gentry BBQ made an INCREDIBLE gumbo towards the end of the day, stirring his roux for over an hour over a very hot egg. He also served excellent food through out the day.  Marcia made some tasty Monte Cristo sandwiches and her portion was more than enough. Jim and Kay made some delicious apple cake and pork sliders among other things, they know how to bake on the egg! Josh and his crew from True Craft BBQ..... it is a pleasure to taste his creations, even if he doesn't use pimento wood :)    Please remember, they have to pack, prepare, and cook for you while using a couple of tables outside.   They also have to pay for all of the food themselves, there is no "fund" for the food that the cooks can take from. We drive from Miami for this fest and have never been disappointed by the size of the fest or the quality of the food. Thank you to Peter for putting on another great event and to Wekiva Island for sponsoring the event!  See you next year!!!
    XL - LG - 2 Mini Max
    Miami Fl.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    What features are planned for FB?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    It seemed that most of the tasters didn't showup until 1:00 or so. Pete did a great job organizing this one.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Butt Blast is the best, you are welcome.  N GA Eggfest is da bomb!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    If this was your first fest, I could see your thoughts.  It is one of the smaller ones, but that doesn't take away from what the cooks do for you, the taster.  Jen and Rick make everything from scratch, even her frosting on her pumpkin muffins......her breakfast strata was so good.  Chris from Gentry BBQ made an INCREDIBLE gumbo towards the end of the day, stirring his roux for over an hour over a very hot egg. He also served excellent food through out the day.  Marcia made some tasty Monte Cristo sandwiches and her portion was more than enough. Jim and Kay made some delicious apple cake and pork sliders among other things, they know how to bake on the egg! Josh and his crew from True Craft BBQ..... it is a pleasure to taste his creations, even if he doesn't use pimento wood :)    Please remember, they have to pack, prepare, and cook for you while using a couple of tables outside.   They also have to pay for all of the food themselves, there is no "fund" for the food that the cooks can take from. We drive from Miami for this fest and have never been disappointed by the size of the fest or the quality of the food. Thank you to Peter for putting on another great event and to Wekiva Island for sponsoring the event!  See you next year!!!
    Thanks for the support! ☺

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    edited November 2016
    Options
    No message

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    No message
    No message.  He meant to encourage you you to come to the N GA Eggfest.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
     Not sure how I'm supposed to feel about this fest. Only about 15 cooks, maybe about 75-100 customers.  most of the food were small hors d'oeuvres.  One person was cooking pizza another one had wings.  It was definitely interesting smelling all the different types of food being cooked at one time.

Seems like most of the vendors there had their own little barbecue businesses and we're promoting their spices, rubs etc. 

But on the bright side I did pick up a smoke where cap for my eggs as well as the adapter for my mini max and I also got one of those Kick ash basket for my minimax.  The guy said it was highly recommended for the minimax over my extra large because this will get a lot more airflow to the lump since these little eggs do you have an issue with getting up to temperature.  Plus all these accessories were 15% off..

I also spoke with the owner of flame boss for about 10 minutes.  Told her some features that I was looking for if I ever decided to swap out my DigiQDX2 unit and she told me that their company is working on somethings that will be out hopefully by next year.
     The one thing I did like about flame boss that I did not know is they are located here in Central Florida about an hour south of me 
    Were you the person looking to check out a thermapen? You should have stayed until the end as you missed a lot.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

Were you the person looking to check out a thermapen? You should have stayed until the end as you missed a lot.
    Yes that was me.. were you the one who helped me with my purchase ( i'm guessing you work for Travel Country? We cut out around 1ish.  Looks like a lot more food was being cooked in the afternoon hours from I'm reading. If we would have known that we would have definitely stayed but we figured what they were cooking during the time we were there that's all that there was going to be. First egg fest,  we will definitely do it different next time for sure. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I'm just a cook! I'm the person that brought my thermapen for you to check out, but you never stopped by to say hi. Did you buy one? I spoke with the owner of travel country Friday and asked him to bring you one. The wife and I cooked the following, breakfast casserole, apple cake, jalamango lime wings and Pork tenderloin BBQ sliders. We started cooking around 9:00 and ran out of food about 3:00. I sure wish you had found me I could have helped you understand how Eggfest work, no two are alike and there aren't any bad ones.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm just a cook! I'm the person that brought my thermapen for you to check out, but you never stopped by to say hi. Did you buy one? I spoke with the owner of travel country Friday and asked him to bring you one. The wife and I cooked the following, breakfast casserole, apple cake, jalamango lime wings and Pork tenderloin BBQ sliders. We started cooking around 9:00 and ran out of food about 3:00. I sure wish you had found me I could have helped you understand how Eggfest work, no two are alike and there aren't any bad ones.
    No, I'm not that person. I was at the table Travel country had looking at their (2) thermapens. I didn't speak with any cooks about them. Just one guy from Travel country. 
    Im going to go ahead and get the thermapen from the manufacturer. The ones at the show were not the new MK4 model, but they were priced at $97 
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Sign up for emails from Thermoworks.com. They will send you discounts and specials on their MK-4. 
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Sign up for emails from Thermoworks.com. They will send you discounts and specials on their MK-4. 
    I did about a month ago. Haven't received anything yet. Just some recipes lol
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    The only one I've been to is the NC Butt Blast and the food was unbelievable in both the quantity and quality.  I had meat sweats for days. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius.