Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guidance on Turkey

Options
TEggSun
TEggSun Posts: 244
edited November 2016 in EggHead Forum
I am hoping this group of gifted grillers can give me some guidance of what brand and where to buy my turkey this year.  I'd like to move away from the ubiquitous Butterball this time around.  Any suggestions?

By the way, I live in NE Ohio, so HEB is not an option for me.  I'm certainly open to ordering online and having it shipped.
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I live in southeastern Michigan and if you want a fresh turkey you have to order it the year before and they raise it for you for next Thanksgiving.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I really like turkeys from Trader Joe's if you have on near you.  They are fresh (never frozen) and brined.  

http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/turkey-roasting-guide

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I use Whole paycheck.  Fresh, heritage birds.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    I get Publix natural turkey.
    War Damn Eagle!
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Did you do a search to see if there is a local turkey farm around you? I had no idea I had one about 10 miles away, and now I get one from them every year. The one I go to suggests ordering as soon as possible, but as time gets close to turkey day, they usually have extras, but you just may not end up with the exact size you want.  Just a thought....

If you do, ask questions and tell them exactly what you want. They might also have "options" available. For instance, this one allows you to get a "Fresh" bird or a bird that is "freshly processed". The difference is drastic, and I did not know it the first year I ordered one.
    "Freshly processed" is what you picture: a shrink wrapped bird.
    But of course the first year I ordered a "Fresh" bird. When I walked up, they said "Oh, you got a fresh bird, I will be right back." Well, they came out with a bird they killed earlier that day. Feathers and feet still on it, and a bag ziplocked around the neck.  I was horrified only because I was not expecting that at all.  I mean really, who would!?!?!?
    Needless to say, I was able to change my order and I got a "fresh processed" bird, but it was about 4 lbs bigger than the size I originally wanted.

Funny story now..... Still makes me laugh. But at the time? Not so much!

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Did you do a search to see if there is a local turkey farm around you? I had no idea I had one about 10 miles away, and now I get one from them every year. The one I go to suggests ordering as soon as possible, but as time gets close to turkey day, they usually have extras, but you just may not end up with the exact size you want.  Just a thought....

If you do, ask questions and tell them exactly what you want. They might also have "options" available. For instance, this one allows you to get a "Fresh" bird or a bird that is "freshly processed". The difference is drastic, and I did not know it the first year I ordered one.
    "Freshly processed" is what you picture: a shrink wrapped bird.
    But of course the first year I ordered a "Fresh" bird. When I walked up, they said "Oh, you got a fresh bird, I will be right back." Well, they came out with a bird they killed earlier that day. Feathers and feet still on it, and a bag ziplocked around the neck.  I was horrified only because I was not expecting that at all.  I mean really, who would!?!?!?
    Needless to say, I was able to change my order and I got a "fresh processed" bird, but it was about 4 lbs bigger than the size I originally wanted.

Funny story now..... Still makes me laugh. But at the time? Not so much!

I'm sure that was quite shocking, but I'd be lying if I said that didn't make me laugh.  I'm glad you told me about the difference.  My wife would be mortified if I brought home something she'd have to pluck.  :-)
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Fresh turkey at Costco, $.99/lb every year.  Just like the hot dogs, I'm sure they lose money on this, but they buy loyalty from members.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Trader Joes is ok, the best is to kill it yourself though!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."