Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fun at DizzyFest 11 (Pics heavy)

Options

This past Saturday, I attended DizzyFest 11 in Manassas, Virginia.  The weather was ideal for the cooking event and I had so much fun.  We all shared amazing food and company.  What was unique about this event was the availability of DizzyPig’s many rubs and spices for the cooks’ dishes.  I loved DP’s spices on the beef ribs, salmon, pork tenderloin and smoked whole turkey.  I always learn something new at these Eggfests.  

[DizzyFest 11, Manassas, VA]

[Delicious Beef Ribs]

DizzyFest 11’s People’s Choice winner was the same as the last DizzyFest winner--the Dvorek’s for their famous Homemade Momofuko Pork Buns.  I (and many others attendees) stood in line patiently waiting for these tasty treats.  Their award was well deserved!

[Homemade Momofuko Pork Bun]

During the event, I ran into some “old” Eggheads visiting from Texas.  Since I was originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, I noticed someone in DizzyPig’s store wearing an “Eggs by the Bay” black polo shirt.  I asked if he knew Smitty @SmittytheSmoker & my brother-in-law John @R2Egg2Q and it turns out he did.  In fact, Evans Tabor @Chubby was Smitty’s best man at his wedding!  In my discussion with Evans and his beautiful wife, Ann, I found out they have been around the BBQ circuit for a while.  I also met “Woo” @Woodoggies who is the namesake of the omnipresent tool most of us use in our BGEs.  He and Tom Vogds @tjv from Ceramic Grill Store, who was also at DizzyFest 11, teamed up to put together one of the most useful tools we use today.  Tom was at the event representing CGS and provided prizes for the event.  As a relative novice, I thoroughly enjoyed sitting down and chatting with these BBQ legends.

[Left to Right: Woo, Ann Tabor, and me]

[Left to Right: Evans Tabor, Woo, and Tom Vogds--the Three BBQ Amigos]

DizzyPig founder and owner, Chris Cappell @Nature Boy, mentioned DizzyFest 11 was the last event hosted at its current location before the move to their new, larger facility at the end of this year.  Once they move, Chris anticipates hosting DizzyFests only once a year instead of the current twice a year schedule.  DizzyFest 12 will probably take place sometime in September 2017. 

After DizzyFest 11 ended, I had to stop by DP's new location to take a quick peek.  It’s so much bigger than their current location.  I can’t wait to attend DizzyFest 12 next year at the new facility!  I hear they will have a brewery there, too!

[New DizzyPig BBQ Facility two miles away from their current location]

BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
Washington, DC Metro Area

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    Cool!!! Great to see Chris' enterprise doing so well! And new HUGE digs in the making besides! To think it wasn't too many years ago Chris was making his early rub concoctions and sharing those recipes with eggers - until someone whispered "hey buddy, bet you could make those and sell them and make a living at it!" American enterprise at its finest! VIVA Dizzy Pig!!! 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great photos and write up...Some BGE Legends at that Fest.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    So glad you made it out!! Thanks much for the kind words and hope to see you again soon. Great pics! We're all about out of steam. What a great fest it was! Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Star_TrEGG
    Options
    So glad you made it out!! Thanks much for the kind words and hope to see you again soon. Great pics! We're all about out of steam. What a great fest it was! Chris
    Chris @Nature Boy, the DizzyPig team did a great job with DizzyFest, as usual.  You all deserve some down time.  I can't make Mad Max's turkey class but signed up for the brisket class next month.  Could be the last class before the big move.  I'm very fortunate to have you so close.  A lot of what we do is all about friendship.  Here's a photo of Woo and you.  Hey, it rhymes!
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
    Washington, DC Metro Area
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hillary brings in Jay-Z and Beyonce.

Chris counters with "SandBagger", "WooDoggies" and "Chubby". 

Advantage Nature Boy.

Thanks for the pics!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SirSquatch
    Options
    Looks great! We had to miss it due to a sick kiddo but hoping to make the next one. Really can't wait to see the new place all decked out. Great having Dizzy so close to home (and, you know, expensive).
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Great shot @Star_TrEGG! Sure did get some rest yesterday :) Appreciate it. Thanks for the pics. @SMITTYtheSMOKER  LOL! @SirSquatch the new place is going unbelievably smoothly and quickly. Storefront glass going in today :)

Thanks y'all! Happy cookin.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Chris @Nature Boy, the DizzyPig team did a great job with DizzyFest, as usual.  You all deserve some down time.  I can't make Mad Max's turkey class but signed up for the brisket class next month.  Could be the last class before the big move.  I'm very fortunate to have you so close.  A lot of what we do is all about friendship.  Here's a photo of Woo and you.  Hey, it rhymes!
    Awesome pic.  Great guys.
    Apollo Beach, FL