Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pork butt/pork shoulder/Boston butt/pulled pork

Options
So I've been getting more comfortable with my egg.  Few racks of ribs, a few chickens, a turkey, and a couple steaks.  I figured it was time to try my hand at a pork butt. I picked a two pack up at Costco yesterday and food savered the smaller of the two.  I briefly debated doing them both but decided if I clscrewed one up I'd have a spare.  I kept reading and watching videos and got differing opinions on how long it would take to cook.  Anywhere from 45 minutes to 2+ hours per pound.  I rubbed the bigger of the two down and let it sit in the fridge.  Finally, knowing we had to leave by 3PM this afternoon, I started getting the egg ready around 10:30PM.  By 11:15-11:30 the egg had settled in at 240° and I put the butt on and went to bed.  I had the BBQ Guru holding temp so I slept pretty well.  I woke up at 4 and looked at my phone, cook temp was dead on and the butt was at about 145°.  Fell back asleep, woke up at 6:30 and the butt was at 163°.  I let it sit there for another hour & couldn't stand to wait.  Pulled it off, wrapped in foil tightly, put it back on.  Left it to 198° and pulled it off to rest until half time for the Seahawks.  Put it on the platter and it was just falling apart.  Pulled apart super easy!  Bark was good, smoke ring was nice, it was juicy and REALLY flavorful!  Thanks to all you that contribute to this forum!  Makes me an expert with very little effort!  Here's the proof...

Puyallup, WA, USA, Earth
LBGE
Realtor, Private Pilot, and Novice Egg Head
Ready to Learn

Comments