Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston butt cooked to slice

Options
I've got a butt that's just over 8lbs. that I want to take to around 160 to slice. About how long will it take indirect at 220-250 degrees? At 350 it should take about 4 hrs. or so. Time restricts me being able to put it on tomorrow morning. Any guesses?
Large BGE, Holland Gas Grill, Masterbuilt electric smoker, Oklahoma Joe, Flame Boss

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I don't know if 160s going to be a high enough temp.  There's a ton of connective tissue that needs to render.  I personally would take it to 170-180.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• AR_Pork_Producer
    Options
    Thanks
    Large BGE, Holland Gas Grill, Masterbuilt electric smoker, Oklahoma Joe, Flame Boss
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Like said above shoot for 180. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Connective tissue doesn't render. But the fat does. 

It's not going to become pullable (obviously, because that's not your goal). So you want moist and fully cooked pork. It is a pork roast. 

So, 145-150 will work in a 'minimum' sense. 150-160 will still be moist, given the cut and the cooker.  And the dark meat will be that much firmer. The fat melting, but the water (which is what makes meat 'moist') not driven off as long as if you go twenty degrees higher.

I don't see the logic of 180-185 frankly. I have had to take a butt off the egg too early at that temp and it was a bit too dry. There's a point at which the melted fat and the broken down collagen (after the plateau) adds the sensation of moisture back into the meat. This hasn't happened at 180-185. 

At that temp you have meat which has spent a lot of time losing water moisture, but had had minimal time breaking down collagen 

just an opinion