Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Thinking of riding Tail of the Dragon

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,027
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
My friend and I were going to head out to Montana/Wyoming/Idaho and do some motorcycling riding out in the mountains but mother nature may change those plans. Rumor has it parts of the mountains where we were planning on riding have seen some snow already. Probably not enough to stick but have my buddy and I thinking twice now. So we are thinking of heading south now. Most likely Tennessee. More for the tail of the dragon. Anyone ever do the dragon tail ride? Any good riding or sight seeing from Nashville area towards Knoxville? Any good eats around Knoxville/Smokey Mountain area? Thanks for any tips!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    The Dragon is a fun ride (have only done it in a MINI)    Not a lot around it though but still a beautiful stretch of road.   Kicker is this time of year it will be full of leaf lookers
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you do ride 129, be very careful.  Lots of IDIOTS on it with no lane discipline.  We used to ride it back in 70's, 80's and 90's with few issues.  Then it was "discovered" and is dangerous when a lot of people show up and treat it as their private race track.  I quit riding it in early 2000/2001. 3 years ago (after aprox 45-50 years of riding) I quit riding altogether due to age issues.

Actually many better roads around the area but for some Deals Gap remains a bucket list item.  The Cherohala Skyway nearby is much better - more open and scenic.  Lots of good riding from Nashville and east.  North GA is very nice - Scott Russell rode there before he started racing.  Blue Ridge is beautiful - one of my favorites, but is federal and tickets can be very expensive with little leeway given in spots.

@The_Stache has ridden that area from Middle Tennessee a fair amount and he is very knowledgeble of most of the roads.

Some of the advice depends on the motorcycles ridden.

Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Do both, Blue ridge and Deals Gap. Gorgeous panoramas. Watch out for the dragon. People get caught off guard while doing some spirited riding through those turns.
    Gittin' there...
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Weekends are kinda crazy on the "Tail"  If possible, I'd choose a Tuesday or Wednesday because traffic is a lot less.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Rode the Dragon many times but prefer the nearby Cherohala Skyway. 
    If you have the mental focus you can run both back to back and turn around and do it over.  Dragon is tight and technical but relatively low speed and short. Skyway is long and sweeping (read high speed) and more dangerous IMO. The skyway is higher elevation and will ice sooner so check with locals. This time of year is less traffic than summer. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Definitely stop at the tree of shame and get pics.  There is always a guy on the course taking pics at one of the switchbacks.  he takes great photos.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    My wife and I left Florida on 9/27 for Asheville, NC, for a family wedding on October 1st.

Since my wife just bought a Convertible Corvette, we planned to do the ToD while we were up there.  Unfortunately Hurricane Matthew had other plans for us.  So on Tuesday we had to head home.  830 miles in 13 hours.

So instead of seeing the vistas and beauty of TN and NC for the second week of our trip, we have been busting butt with storm preparations.  We live in Central Florida about 20 miles from the ocean and Cape Canaveral, so we are going to get the bigger part of it.

Please post pictures and tell us about your trip, we plan to try it again very soon.

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Dobie
    Options
    Couple different bikes I used about 7 to 10 years ago. Don't ride anymore.

Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
  • Dobie
    Options
  • Dobie
    Options
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Tons of great roads in the area, the TOD can be very busy and as mentioned above many drivers can't keep it between the mayo and mustard.  We had some good food @ the Ugly Dog Cafe, there is also supposed to be a decent BBQ in Highlands as well.  As always rubber side down and have fun!
    Edina, MN

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    The Triumph I can see but the Hyabusa had to be a handful thru there. Nice bikes.  
  • Dobie
    Options
    yljkt said:
    The Triumph I can see but the Hyabusa had to be a handful thru there. Nice bikes.  
    Yeah the Speed Triple was hoot on the Dragon but the Busa shined on the skyway.
    Jacksonville FL
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I have a house off the bottom end of the Dragon on 129/29 area near Almond/Panther Creek/Fontana...

I'd avoid the ToD this time of year. Tons of leaf peepers in town, lots of slow driving, people who arent familiar with mtn roads/directions and curves and inclines.

Tons of state patrol, who will hide, and who will ticket the ever living crap out of you.

I'd suggest taking a little jaunt through the Nantahala Gorge myself, and head out east to Asheville area and do the Blue Ridge if you want some curves and some sights. Plenty of stopping areas. You again, will have the leaf peepers more so there than anywhere, but a little easier to navigate.

Also the lower elevation areas will be less crowded as the leaves haven't started fully changing.

-FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I rode the Harley out to my beer club meeting last night.  Promoting Brisket Camp to pimp for some home brew.  For some reason, it died on Airline Hwy, at night, around 50 mph in traffic.  Freaked me out.  But started right up again.
    Options
    If you do it, don't forget: look where you want to go, not where the accident is. There is a great YouTube channel where a guy sets up at a popular section to catch all the wrecks of people doing the opposite. High comedy, though
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    ^^ One of the great truths - Look where you want to go, not at what you don't want to hit.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Last Friday I drove to Cosby, thru Gatlinburg over to Cherokee NC through the park.   It is a great drive.  Once on the NC side, get on the Blue Ridge Parkway and curse over to Asheville for some great brews.  Take your time enjoy the mountains and a great weekend. 
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you go to NC, OBEY THE SPEED LIMIT!  Don't ask me how I know. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
     We have done the Tail about 7 times in 4yrs on the bike.  We would go during Memorial and Labor Day Weekends.  It was a blast but you have to be careful.  My wife took a video of a couple of the rides.  After watching I saw several things I never noticed while riding because I was watching the road and not the scenery.  We met 2 semi trucks over the years that took up the whole curve, not fun!  Had to really pay attention to sound of crouch rockets and enduro bikes coming up on you because they like the inside line.  
      Best ride was the Skyway but dress accordingly because you'll need more leather the higher you get.  I've started out in short sleeves and ended up in chaps and a heavy leather jacket.  
      A more tame ride would be the Foothills Parkway.  Nice sweeping ride.  

A good ride is from the Foothills then 129(I think) up through Brandon and back down the Dragons Tail.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    If you do ride 129, be very careful.  Lots of IDIOTS on it with no lane discipline.  We used to ride it back in 70's, 80's and 90's with few issues.  Then it was "discovered" and is dangerous when a lot of people show up and treat it as their private race track.  I quit riding it in early 2000/2001. 3 years ago (after aprox 45-50 years of riding) I quit riding altogether due to age issues.

Actually many better roads around the area but for some Deals Gap remains a bucket list item.  The Cherohala Skyway nearby is much better - more open and scenic.  Lots of good riding from Nashville and east.  North GA is very nice - Scott Russell rode there before he started racing.  Blue Ridge is beautiful - one of my favorites, but is federal and tickets can be very expensive with little leeway given in spots.

@The_Stache has ridden that area from Middle Tennessee a fair amount and he is very knowledgeble of most of the roads.

Some of the advice depends on the motorcycles ridden.

If its the same part I am thinking about, I've heard this stretch referred to "The Devils Downhill"
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    Some great roads for bikers up in NE Georgia, into North Carolina. Roads from Clayton/Mountain City/Dillard, Georgia area, up to Highlands and Cashiers, North Carolina, and then over to Sylva/ Cullowhee area, on into Asheville!
    Leaves just beginning as we speak! Stay safe...have fun....spend money!!!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. Very much appreciated. Will keep all these in mind. From changing locations now to changing motorcycles all together. I sent my motorcycle seat to a gentleman in Florida that refoamed the seat to help reduce pressure points and add some new foam technology. Unfortunately hurricane Matthew has pushed my shipment elsewhere. My tracking number doesn't list anything other than it was in Jacksonville on Thursday. I talked with UPS and they can't see any movement and it won't move being the weekend. So the next time it moves is Monday and Tuesday afternoon I'm leaving. So I likely won't have a seat. I really can't complain. I'm only missing a bike seat. Others are missing a house or even a family. So I'm trying to make lemons into lemonade with my petty situation. I'll be borrowing my Dad's SV650 bike which is actually a few years newer with 1/4th the miles I have on mine. Just won't have a comfy seat. ;) Oh well. Thanks again!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota