Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Options for non-wood BGE tables?

Options
Hey guys, long time lurker here. Had an egg for about 6+ years. I've built a few tables along the way too - build a basic table for a friend, did the same for me. Eventually wanted an upgrade and did some more options on the table with a tile top - still wasn't quite right. I use PT lumber and while it looks great when first built, it starts to get a few warps and it just doesn't look as nice.

I've looked at the awesome stainless options from tspud, the challenger tables, etc - but $1500+ is alot to swallow! I've seen a local guy here that build amazing outdoor cabinets out of PVC for the eggs - seems like I can get much more bang for the buck - tables are much bigger, more storage, and they look like furniture for about the same price as the metal options.

An outdoor kitchen style setup for the egg would be nice - but we don't really have a good area. Ideally I would like to keep the egg up on the deck since that's right off the kitchen. If I put it down on the patio then I am having to walk up and down stairs every time I want to check on the food.

So long winded way of asking - for non-wood options, do I need to pay to play? Or have any of you built some good looking non-wood tables? I've also seen people convert restaurant prep tables, but had my eye out locally for a while and no luck.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• DynaGlide
    DynaGlide Posts: 54
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I just got my egg a few weeks ago and decided a wooden table wasn't for me. I have all the tools to make a table but for the reasons you listed and others I want a stainless table if I ever get one. This is a different direction but might work for you. I paid $160 for the setup, nest came with the egg.

2006 Blue Weber Performer Slow n' Sear and Rotisserie; LG BGE w/ AR R&B -- Alexandria, VA

• thais0n
    Options
    Is that the Keter table from Sam's? I've seen that one too. Its a good looking table and something like this is definitely doable.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    thais0n said:
    Is that the Keter table from Sam's? I've seen that one too. Its a good looking table and something like this is definitely doable.
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/grill-table/prod19972020.ip?sprodId=prod19972020&selectedTab=allProducts&_requestid=1255534

I like it too, doesnt seem to be available anywhere near me though. Probably a seasonal thing.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • thais0n
    Options
    Amazon has it: https://www.amazon.com/Keter-Extra-Large-Outdoor-Entertainment-Storage/dp/B01HJATY32/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1475591799&sr=8-12&keywords=keter+table

I have a Keter deck box (got it at Costco) and its been OK, but the top warped so it doesn't sit flush. Ideally I would like to store a bag of charcoal in it along with my eggcessories. But if its going to leak during a storm or become a spider haven - then i might pass. I know the Challenger tables are water tight - but they come at a big premium.

Has anyone here built a table out of PVC sheets (or a similar material)?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2016
    Options
    FWIW- someone recently posted that those tables are $80 at Sams club right now if they have them in stock. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    FWIW- someone recently posted that those tables are $80 at Sams club right now if they have them in stock. 
    Here in Denver they are. This was yesterday.  

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • thais0n
    Options
    Thanks - might try to swing by my Sam's. I only recently joined Sam's - does anyone know if they are good about calling into a warehouse to check availability on a product?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    thais0n said:
    Thanks - might try to swing by my Sam's. I only recently joined Sam's - does anyone know if they are good about calling into a warehouse to check availability on a product?
    Go to the sams link posted above. Select a store for price and availability.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    As you said challenger carts are expensive. That's what I have and I really like it. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• thais0n
    Options
    Is $1600 about the going price for the 48" challenger?
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    thais0n said:
    Is $1600 about the going price for the 48" challenger?
    I got mine for $1000. It had been sitting on the floor at my ace hardware for a while. Had to pull the trigger. I like that it keeps everything air tight. No water leaks etc. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    thais0n said:
    Call the warehouse??? Dude...it's the 21st century!! :)

Check the website.

On a serious note, I'm with you - not a big fan of wooden tables. While I have seen some beautiful, furniture quality tables I just don't have the desire to want to actually use/mess up something as lovely as those. Also don't want to deal with the maintenance those can require. I use to own wooden boats so I know what exposure to the elements can do to wood (and I am too lazy to want to constantly deal with a cover for a table). Also, also, wood tables can burn. I know it's a rare event but I'm not sure I could comfortably sleep when doing an overnight cook in a wooden table.

Personally, I prefer to leave an Egg in it's nest or on a built-in sort of platform and just have a stainless prep table I can work on and not have to worry so much about spills, grease, scratches, etc.

Those stainless steel kamado tables are nice and they are pricey but they are likely a lifetime investment with minimal maintenance. If I was inclined to want a table that is where I would spend my money.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    thais0n said:
    Go to the sams link posted above. Select a store for price and availability.

FWIW I have found that the web site is not accurate all the time. When they had the iGrill2 on sale a while ago they did not show them in stock on their site, but I went to the store and they had them. 

It is definitely worth checking on the site, and if they do show up you can buy online and pick up at the store. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• thais0n
    Options
    I hope its ok I post this - this is not my listing, but I have emailed this guy to see if he could build one for my Large (the one listed is a medium). I feel like something like this would look great on a deck....low/no maintenance and its bigger than a challenger....thoughts?

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/atq/5792557434.html
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    thais0n said:
    Yeah - check online.  If it says they have 5+, your good to go.  If they say they only have 2 or 3 in stock, I would call to double check.  Half the time they say they have something they don't.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    I happened to swing by Sam's and they had 3-4 of these for $80.  The web site showed none in stock at my location, but they had some.  I didn't get one.  I was feeling indecisive...my deck is already too crowded...but I will probably go back and get it anyway. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    FWIW guys, I wouldn't pay $40 for one.  Bought one earlier this year and immediately returned it.  One of the tabs broke.  Saw too many issues with it during assembly.  It had to go, back. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DynaGlide
    Options
    Focker said:
    FWIW guys, I wouldn't pay $40 for one.  Bought one earlier this year and immediately returned it.  One of the tabs broke.  Saw too many issues with it during assembly.  It had to go, back. 
    Mine is built perfectly. .no issues during assembly.
    2006 Blue Weber Performer Slow n' Sear and Rotisserie; LG BGE w/ AR R&B -- Alexandria, VA

• BilZol
    Options
    DynaGlide said:
    Focker said:
    Mine too. It held my MM just fine till I repurposed a nest. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    DynaGlide said:
    Focker said:
    Felt like I was playing with my son's Legos.  A Lego table would be more stable.
    Couldn't see prepping anything on it due to it's instability.  Thin depth, top heavy, tiny wheels.  Some egg accessories have some weight.  Couldn't trust it.  Part of the problem is trying to go from folding military surplus tables that are 15lbs each.  They get gunked up, easy to clean.  Have sanded and repainted both.  

You can tell a lot about a product by how it is put together.  

Not trying to argue, just explaining my assessment of the product. 

Glad it is working out for you.      
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    BilZol said:
    DynaGlide said:
    Focker said:

That's a Devastated thread in the making.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• BilZol
    Options
    Focker said:
    BilZol said:
    DynaGlide said:
    Focker said:

We'll never know. I upgraded to non wood or plastic and put MM in L nest.  B)
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The investment tables are just that, an investment. They should offer a long life and extremely high quality though. Good luck with your quest. 
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Find a local welder and get creative with it 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • BilZol
    Options
    McStew said:
    Find a local welder and get creative with it 

Looks like some nice work in progress. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Focker
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Focker said:
    BilZol said:
    DynaGlide said:
    Focker said:

Much better!
    Huge upgrade in the stability and durability departments.
    That diamond plate may be a PITA to clean in the nooks and crannies though.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• BilZol
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Focker said:
    BilZol said:
    Focker said:
    BilZol said:
    DynaGlide said:
    Focker said:

Much better!
    Huge upgrade in the stability and durability departments.
    That diamond plate may be a PITA to clean in the nooks and crannies though.  
    I thought so too, but warm soapy water and a veggie brush work wonders. Have big plastic cutting boards on them when I'm cooking to boot. Lighter and easier to take care of then granite. Mostly because it was cheaper too. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    If a Challenger Cart is too expensive, and you don't like the idea of a wood table, you could always look into a Spark Table thats made by Challenger. At my local Ace, they retail for 695.00 I believe they are all aluminum and they look beautiful

http://challengerdesignsllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Spark-48-and-54.pdf
    LBGE circa 2016
  • thais0n
    Options
    very interesting! Thanks for sharing - I think i may be in the process of working a deal out with the seller of the table/cabinet I shared.....fingers crossed!