Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now I know why it's Rockwood

Options
2»

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    I have yet to find any foreign objects in RO. Only one batch (Walmart) that had a significant about of fines. But then, I've only been using it for 6 years. =)

If that is really the case then you should buy a lottery ticket.
    Seriously, I have been using RO for a good 6 years and have never noticed anything other than lump in the bags.

But... I've never wasted money on lottery tickets. Doubt I'll start now.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    blind99 said:
    There's a gravel path next to my egg. All those little rocks get added to it. Helps make up for the ones my kids steal to play with. It's like the circle of life, when I'm egging. 

(Has anyone considered getting cremated and using a mini as an urn? Could be awesome. Sorry for the morbid hijack)
    I was leaning towards the mini max as an urn actually. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    XXL crematorium. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    XXL crematorium. 
    or XXL instead of box  =)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    paqman said:
    I am picking up a few bags tomorrow.  We'll see if it is as good as Maple Leafs...
    looking forward to your findings
    canuckland
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    cat reaction omg shocked shock
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Its been a while since a good lump thread....

Yeah, it's been at least three days...
    Phoenix 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Not sure if the OP was just posting for fun as a play on the name or was upset.  I consider a rock here and there as no big deal with charcoal.  They don't do any harm and any weight is negligible.

Sometimes I feel like these threads are a bit of "gotcha"!  Ok, so you caught a few.  And?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    caliking said:
    bgebrent said:
    oh my.  say it ain't so....

lotta acolytes gonna be in a tailspin

(hyperbole).

meh.  it happens.  there hasn't been a manufacturer yet that i know of who doesn't have a rock or two once in a while, unless they manufacture extruded lump or briquettes.  no bg deal.

pretty sure rockwood over fills their bags too, as do many.

Hate it when newbies chime in on such cerebral topics.  Oh well...  And RW does overfill their bags ;)
    Don't let the post count fool ya... he's no n00b here. 
    I know the the old boy brother, as it were.  Bad sarcasm by me spose.  Stike might not approve.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Had a weird thought. Thought about posting the 9.94 RO vs 20something price of RW but then stopped and contemplated the 10$ Difference, and "what is" 10$ really....

ive burned a lot of RO and never really had a complaint. I've bought two bags of RW mostly to see what all the buzz was about. I noticed the difference when lighting, less white smoke more neutral smell.

so my weird thought was... most of us spent 1k plus for our eggs, when we could have bought akorns. is RO an Akorn and RW a bge/Kamado Joe/primo ect...

just having fun with this post btw :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    Options

bgebrent said:

Its been a while since a good lump thread.....I found some rocks from my Rockwood recently. Know what I did? Tossed them in the trash. @Tspud1 keep on trucking man....kind of like finding change under your car seat. It just happens sometimes.
    Oxymoronic "good lump thread" =)
    Brent....you throwing around that Ken T Uky edumacation around again. 
    Well he is a surgeon that works occasionally. 
    I'll take any good offer.  Thinkin about opening a bike shop!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Rockwood is hands down my favorite lump, period.  No, I'm not on my period!  Great size in the bag, little rubbish and very neutral.  Nice lump that lets the smoker control the smoke.  Should be Friday.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options

pretty sure rockwood over fills their bags too, as do many.

Yes, 20.4# - 20.6#, so there's usually at least an extra half pound in every bag.  That should cover an rocks, machine error, or any other foreign material.

Any domestic lump manufacturer can and will have rocks, nails, banding, etc in the bag at some point......no way around it without hand inspecting and x-raying every piece.   A big magnet has helped grab the metal (unless it's incased), but keeping the rocks out is hard.  A charcoal covered rock looks no different than a chunk of charcoal as it comes down the chute.

The only way I've been able to figure out how to get them out via agitation (which is going to break the pieces down), or to float across a water bath so the rocks sink (in which case you're going to be paying for a bunch of water that the lump absorbs.)  Either system would be expensive, and you'd be getting a less quality product overall.  Much easier to overload the bags, and chuck the occasional rock or two (or six), in trash knowing there was still 20# of charcoal in the bag.  Everytime you don't find a rock, you got an extra .5# of charcoal.  Win-win.

@tspud1 Sorry man, we don't want them in there any more than you do, but if you're unhappy feel free to return the bag for a refund.  Just know, just like any other charcoal company, we cannot guarantee a bag free of foreign material......that's just the nature of the beast.

BTW, for former briquette users, those have 20-30% rocks in EVERY bag (ground up limestone).  So we have that beat hands down.

It was not a problem, just posted with a play on words. Your brand isn't sold in my town so I have to pick up when in St Louis or have son in law bring me some when they come with grand kids.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Every time I find a rock in the bag, I just toss it on the ground next to the Egg.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I prefer Rockwood but haven't had any issues with Royal Oak which is readily available. I wish @stlcharcoal would open a dealer in Louisville :)
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Shoot I wish they'd just sell me a pallet as we dont have one either.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    All manufactures will overfill the bag; not just Rockwood. Under filling would create legal issues. The same goes for any product that is sold by weight. They have to have at least have that amount of product in the bag, can, or box as the package states.