Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili before it's chilly

Options
leemschu
leemschu Posts: 609
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
Today I cooked chili on the egg for the first time. It was actually super easy. I wish it would have been just a little spicier but good overall! Sorry I forgot to get any in the pictures of the process.
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Egg'd chili rocks! Nice job. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Hotwingking
    Options
    Chili looks great, I like the Fritos on top
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Fritos, cheese and sour cream......the holy trinity for my chili lol.  Yours looks great
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Looks tasty! BTW just like the imgainary BBQ season imposed by marketing types I find Chili has no season any more than the absurd ideas that thou will only "BBQ between Memorial Day and end promptly on Labor Day! "
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    That looks killer! 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • leemschu
    Options
    RRP said:
    Looks tasty! BTW just like the imgainary BBQ season imposed by marketing types I find Chili has no season any more than the absurd ideas that thou will only "BBQ between Memorial Day and end promptly on Labor Day! "
    Yeah, personally I just don't like hot liquid while it's hot outside. I used to not even drink coffee until is below 60 in the mornings.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I just had this argument with my wife not 20 minutes ago. She said to add chili ingredients to the grocery list this week. I said no, it's gonna be like 80 degrees. Then you'll get burned out on cold weather food and want me freezing come February while I'm stuck grilling some tropical style fish recipe for you because now you're ready for summer!!!

(Also we're having chili next week)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    I find Chili has no season...
    Amen!! There's no such thing as cold weather food. Chili's good any time. Do you "seasonal folks" not eat ANY hot food in the summer? No burgers, no baked beans, no steaks or grilled chicken? No corn on the cob or green beans? What's the difference between those and a bowl of chili or some beef stew? It's all hot meat and veggies.

The OP's chili looks good! Except for the Fritos. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    leemschu said:
    Today I cooked chili on the egg for the first time. It was actually super easy. I wish it would have been just a little spicier but good overall! Sorry I forgot to get any in the pictures of the process.
    You want spicier.....?? I developed this recipe over several years and it won a throwdown against one of the top chili cooks in the country.......at least he thought he was!

Cow Lickin’ Chili

by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

Olive Oil

1 & 1/2 lbs. ground Chuck 

1 lb. Italian Sausage

2 cups Onion (chopped)

1 green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)

2 Jalapeno chiles (seeded and chopped fine)

1-2 Serrano chiles (seeded amd chopped fine)

1 Tbls. Garlic  (minced)

1 (28 oz.) can diced Tomatoes and liquid 

1 (15 oz.) can diced Tomatoes and liquid

1 can Rotel

2 cans (15 oz. each) Pinto, dark Kidney, or Black Beans (drained)

3 Tbls. Chili Powder

1 Tbls. Ancho Chile Powder

1 & 1/2 Tbls. ground Cumin

2 oz. semi-sweet Chocolate

1 tsp. ground Cinnamon 

2 Bay Leaves

1 tsp. dried Oregano

3 Tbls. Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub

2 cups Beef Broth 

1 cup dry Red Wine

2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top

Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste

Wood Chunks 

Preparation:

Preheat your Egg to 350° F. with inverted plate setter (legs up).

Place dutch oven in the egg on the plate setter and add 2 Tbls. olive oil.

Add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon). Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals.

Close lid and cook for about 30-45 minutes, stirring every few minutes.

Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels.

Wipe dutch oven dry with paper towels.

Return dutch oven to egg, add more olive oil and saute´ onions, green pepper, jalapenos, and serrano(s) until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours (add water as needed to prevent drying).

Note : After the mixture starts to simmer, you can reduce the dome temperature to 300° F. Remove bay leaves, dried chiles, correct seasoning and serve.

• leemschu
    Options
    I don't know if swmbo could handle it that spicy.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great job... I'd hit that anytime!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"