Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can someone explain this?

Options
They are both whole packers, even though the label says otherwise. Choice is way more expensive. 

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Incorrectly stickered by someone?
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Incorrectly stickered by someone?
    Nah. They're always this cheap- the prime that is. Normally 2.29 actually

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• tikigriller
    Options

I was talking about the Choice one.......Prime is better than choice, right?

The cheaper one came in a cheaper "pack" of them so they priced them better than the previous one?

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Count your blessings- beef prices take a big it in the interval??
    Better to be lucky than good any day.  
    Edit: @Eggcelsior nailed it- labeled the flat.  The system always lays more $$ due to the processing costs.  Consistent all around here-my reading comprehension is lacking today.  But that looks like they failed to "flat it".  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It may be mislabeled or it's a poorly trimmed flat. I see those from time to time, with the point nearly intact.
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Yeah prime is better than choice. I used to think it was mislabeled, but it's been like this for a year or so. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• bhedges1987
    Options
    It's definitely not poorly trimmed flats, some are ranging 16-17 lbs

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• tikigriller
    Options
    So now I have to ask.....if I run into this at my Costco, which one do you buy?  Traditionally speaking, more expensive is supposed to mean better!

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    The buy is a no-brainer.  Go with the highest quality you can afford.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    So now I have to ask.....if I run into this at my Costco, which one do you buy?  Traditionally speaking, more expensive is supposed to mean better!
    Yeah - If you can afford prime and it's not much more expensive (in my case it's always way cheaper) go with prime.  

Select>Choice>Prime

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• tikigriller
    Options
    I am just talking about this exact situation however.....between those two in the thread, which one do you buy?  there has to be some reason why the Choice is so much more expensive than the prime one.....

Livermore, California
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    I am just talking about this exact situation however.....between those two in the thread, which one do you buy?  there has to be some reason why the Choice is so much more expensive than the prime one.....
    Prime

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Select brisket, choice brisket, prime brisket..all are the same to me as I stroll on by. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,347
    Options
    Obviously you buy both and then report the results of your cook to us. :)

P.S. - fooey on all you folks whose Costco actually carries full briskets (be they prime and/or choice). 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    jesus thats cheap! my local store is 16$ per #
    HFX NS
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Which was more floppy?   That's what I'd buy. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    double check that the flat is really a packer.  costco near me sells some pretty darned bigged flats.  and they always charge more per lb for the flats than the packers.

like @mattman3969 says look for a floppy packer.  they tend to go through stock REALLY fast (near me at least) so none may be floppy.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle