Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

knife suggestions

Options
came to the realization last weekend that my current knives suck. What are your favorite knives for slicing meat, meat cleavers, etc?
Franklin, TN

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    uh oh.  this thread will be at 2k views and 300 comments before long.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    came to the realization last weekend that my current knives suck. What are your favorite knives for slicing meat, meat cleavers, etc?
    I came to realize this same thing when I got into this venture, but what I really came to realize, is it was the knife SHARPNER that needed more attention vs. the knife itself.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    You really need to narrow it down with price point or it will get crazy.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    I came to realize this same thing when I got into this venture, but what I really came to realize, is it was the knife SHARPNER that needed more attention vs. the knife itself.
    i would add to this with a good maple end grade cutting board. all my old knives work good now =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Tuned in.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hand made and sharp on both sides
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • atouchofsmokeWP
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    You really need to narrow it down with price point or it will get crazy.

$50-roughly $100 each
    Franklin, TN
  • atouchofsmokeWP
    Options

well, what you got?? don't be shy
    Franklin, TN
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Totally agree. Most folks get this all backwards.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    Options
    the goal is to buy a big chef knife first, i stay away from the german steels and look for light japenese styles. theres lots out there, spend all your money on this item =)

but if you just want to get something sharp that you need bandages for, these will do it

Messermeister Meridian Elite Hollow Edge Salmon Slicing Knife

leach lake fillet

this ones sharpened both sides, have the bandaides ready =)

fukahwee maine

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited September 2016
    Options
    This topic is a lot like tomato gravy, there are as many recipes as their are Italian grandmothers: just substitute cooks and knives for the operative words. But I will put in my two cents. In the $50 range, don't think you can beat Victorinox, they have been  # I on American Test Kitchen's list every year . For knives at $100 something each; I like Global, very nice balance, and quality steel with a good edge. Quality knife but won't cost as much as your first car. My advice is don't buy a set, instead buy individual knives based on the task and how they feel in your hand. All you really need is an 8" Chefs knife , a Boning knife  , and a paring or  utility knife. Every thing else is just gravy, good gravy, but still just gravy those three knives are the meat and potatoes IMO. I have a fillet knife a sandwich off set knife, a cleaver, a bread knife, and a Victorinox chefs knife for rough jobs when I don't want to use a nicer knife. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    This topic is a lot like tomato gravy, there are as many recipes as their are Italian grandmothers: just substitute cooks and knives for the operative words. But I will put in my two cents. In the $50 range, don't think you can beat Victorinox, they have been  # I on American Test Kitchen's list every year . For knives at $100 something each i like Global very nice balance and quality steel with a good edge. Don't buy a set buy individual knives based on the task and how they feel in your hand. All you really need is an 8" Chefs knife , a Boning , and a utility knife. Every thing else is just gravy, good gravy, but still just gravy those three knives are the meat and potatoes. 
    you also need a good lime slicer svante makes a great one

fukahwee maine

• bettysnephew
    Options
    Those Leech Lake filet knives used to be hand made by our former mayor, Don Canney. If you have one of those they command a big price. His nephew ran the company the last I heard.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • atouchofsmokeWP
    Options
    This topic is a lot like tomato gravy, there are as many recipes as their are Italian grandmothers: just substitute cooks and knives for the operative words. But I will put in my two cents. In the $50 range, don't think you can beat Victorinox, they have been  # I on American Test Kitchen's list every year . For knives at $100 something each; I like Global, very nice balance, and quality steel with a good edge. Quality knife but won't cost as much as your first car. My advice is don't buy a set, instead buy individual knives based on the task and how they feel in your hand. All you really need is an 8" Chefs knife , a Boning knife  , and a paring or  utility knife. Every thing else is just gravy, good gravy, but still just gravy those three knives are the meat and potatoes IMO. I have a fillet knife a sandwich off set knife, a cleaver, a bread knife, and a Victorinox chefs knife for rough jobs when I don't want to use a nicer knife. 

good info. thanks
    Franklin, TN
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I won't be shy. I started buying better knives about the time I got my 1st Egg. The blades had steel better than what was common at stores.  I have an Apex Edge Pro system, several DIA lapping stones and ceramic and glass honing rods.

I also have a $4 hand sharpener from Harbor Freight for my kitchen drawer knives. They don't need anything more.

At the price range mentioned for knives,  a Lansky or Idoahone rod sharpener should be OK. It will take a little practice using those.

These days, there are good electric sharpening systems. I haven't used one, but from what I've read, there are models around $100 that won't chew up the edge too bad.

As for the knives, ask yourself this. How much attention do you want to pay to maintaining the knife? Older carbon steel knives can be wonderfully sharp, and easy to sharpen. But they badly rust and corrode very easily. Literally, in an hour if not cleaned. Lots of care needed. Many "stainless" steels are much softer, and require almost continual sharpening. Eventually, they sharpen away. A standard stainless that has been popular for some years is call 440C. When well heat treated, it will hold a fine edge.

I suggest you visit chefknivestogo.com. I have no relation to the company, other than being a happy customer. As a starting place, its good because they offer lots of info about the quality of steel and shapes, and a wide variety of prices.

• tikigriller
    Options

well, what you got?? don't be shy
    Sorry. Nothing fancy. Just some electric one bought at target. A good sharpener recommendation would be awesome as well!!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    the goal is to buy a big chef knife first, i stay away from the german steels and look for light japenese styles. theres lots out there, spend all your money on this item =)

but if you just want to get something sharp that you need bandages for, these will do it

leach lake fillet

The leech lake blade design is awesome.
    https://youtu.be/Rq1qjUUBS5Y

Love the green and black fish.  I "need" one bad.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Little Steven
    Options

leach lake fillet

Dam, if I could learn to catch a fish I would get one of those filet knives. Of course I'm ad a real disadvantage cause of the guys I fish with

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• smokeybreeze
    Options
    Sorry. Nothing fancy. Just some electric one bought at target. A good sharpener recommendation would be awesome as well!!!
    For everything but my high end japanese knives, I use the original sharpener from Work Sharp http://www.worksharptools.com/sharpeners-28/power-sharpeners/work-sharp-knife-and-tool-sharpener.html

Quick, easy, hard to do it wrong even if you don't have opposing thumbs.

For the high end japanese knives, the only option is a set of stones.

• noarmysargent
    Options

Exactly. The better the steel, the less sharpening you need to do.  You can spend $300 for a pearing knife. It's just not nessecery.  Buy a sharpener that you feel comfortable with. I like a wet stone, but that scares some folks. Get it sharp and then you can use a sharpening rod.  A decent mid range knife will outlast all of us in a home kitchen. 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Shun......but I would buy a box of Bandaids with the knife.  :bawling:
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Got the fugimaru (cheap clad Damascus at Tuesday Mornings) years ago.  The chefs knife is my go to it is razor sharp with little maintenance with a whet stone.  A cheap cleaver and filet knife from ikea that are also super sharp from the stones.  On the right is all cutcos I uses the slicer a lot from there and the scissors.  I got them free the a business adventure.  I spent more on the magnets then knives.  I think the fugimarus were like $40.  Under $20 for the IKEA knives.  Use them to see what you like.
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    What about the Chefs Choice 15 Trizor XV edge select made for asian 15 deg blades. It was high #1 on Cooks Mag list of sharpeners and has good reviews?
  • Justacookin
    Options
    I have a couple leach lake fillet knives did not know they where made by a Iowan. Guess he had to go north to catch a walleye. Great knives and stay sharp back side is for going threw the bones flip over for the fine tuning. great for cutting the skin off pork bellies.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Sams club knives. Cheap and sharp. I toss em and replace them as necessary. Let the hate begin, I just really suck at sharpening knives. It's my only option. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Sams club knives. Cheap and sharp. I toss em and replace them as necessary. Let the hate begin, I just really suck at sharpening knives. It's my only option. 
    I can sharpen (and enjoy sharpening) but I still generally prefer cheap knives.

I'm not one of those that really cares what kind of steel is used. Just care if I like the knife. If it needs sharpening more often that's cool. If it needs sharpening less often, that's cool too.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    BilZol said:
    I can sharpen (and enjoy sharpening) but I still generally prefer cheap knives.

I'm not one of those that really cares what kind of steel is used. Just care if I like the knife. If it needs sharpening more often that's cool. If it needs sharpening less often, that's cool too.

I grew up with my mother buying very expensive knives. My dad was a whiz at sharpening anything. I must have been switched at the hospital. I couldn't sharpen anything even with a guide and help. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    What about the Chefs Choice 15 Trizor XV edge select made for asian 15 deg blades. It was high #1 on Cooks Mag list of sharpeners and has good reviews?
    I've had a chefs choice 1520 for a bunch of years.  I use Victorinox / Dexter grade knives and sharpen often.  

I'm sure there is a good reason to spend hundreds on each knife, but I'm happy not knowing what that reason is.

Phoenix 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Try to find a store where they'll let you hold each knife and simulate using it.

The most famous brand or the best steel is a waste if the knife feels like crap in your hand.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Also, consider getting a strop of some kind. There are various grades of strops and pastes/compounds for them. It doesn't require quite the touch that hand sharpening does. But if the blade is good, and properly sharpened, an occasional stropping will return a razor edge.

Most cities will have competent sharpening shops. Alton Brown had a program where he turned over maybe a half dozen chef knives to a pro every six months. It was obvious that the knives were standard quality German style. Evidently, with restaurant levels of use, a month will be enough to dull the edge.

I knew a butcher who used standard Dexters and Chicago cutlery knives. He had to sharpen them often enough that he sold off dozens every year because the blades were half gone.