Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Way to Empty Bag of Lump

Options
2»

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    blasting said:
    I like it simple and hate messing with the bag.  I pour into a bucket - it's easy to pour from, and it's waterproof.

I think those are some of my wife's former company product containers!!!!  I think the GLB was one of their.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I used to pour the bag of lump into a 35 gallon trash can ten scope it out.  Now I pour what I want into my Egg, roll up the bag and put it in the trash can with a lid.  I don't worry about the dust that much.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Maybe use a towel or sheet to cover most of the tub when pouring?  That could keep the dust at bay.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Never gets boring when your world is a giant conspiracy theory.
    Options

I went back and read @HofstraJet original post to find out what got us talking about cleanliness.

I think it's fair to say we have significantly different styles, lol.  My grilling time wouldn't seem right if my hands weren't a little black from charcoal and my t-shirt didn't have a few holes in it from stray embers.

Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    blasting said:

I went back and read @HofstraJet original post to find out what got us talking about cleanliness.

I think it's fair to say we have significantly different styles, lol.  My grilling time wouldn't seem right if my hands weren't a little black from charcoal and my t-shirt didn't have a few holes in it from stray embers.

My approach exactly.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SemolinaPilchard
    SemolinaPilchard Posts: 1,282
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Never gets boring when your world is a giant conspiracy theory.
    If you were referring to me, I was not saying or insinuating that the people I mentioned conspired to do anything. They live in an echo chamber and thrive off comments that each other make. You know, like some of the people on here. But nice attempt to pass it off as a whackadoo comment.
  • johnmitchell
    Options

Anyone out there know if this is any good !!! $9.99 at Lowes... Bargain !!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Everyone here says no

it burns fine. Hot actually, if you grill a lot

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Anyone out there know if this is any good !!! $9.99 at Lowes... Bargain !!!

Thanks for the heads up John.  Do you think it's as good as the pallet of Matchlight I've been working my way though? 

Is it Friday already?

Phoenix 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
     ;) 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Someone on this thread is not happy with the Hillary toilet paper post....
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Dump it? I thought you were supposed to put the whole bag in your egg and light the fuse on top???? No wonder it takes so long to cook down. Whodathunkit?
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I store as many as 5 bags of lump in my EGG CRATE.    See the thread I started which also has finished product photos.   It's not pretty, and I used what amounts to white fence stain on it, but it IS water proof and has a lid that is overlapping ALL FOUR sides.   Box is about 30 cubic feet and has EVERYTHING for my XLBGE in ONE spot.
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    I empty mine, by dumping it into my egg :)

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    same here
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    same here
    Um...didn't you post a video not long ago of dumping and sorting a bag of Royal Oak? 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just dump and go for LnS or hot n fast.  I gotz no time to sort out because I'm hungry when I light the egg.  

I found a good video if your into sorting your lump 
    http://youtu.be/fFOR0ktNkjM

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    yljkt said:
    JMCXL said:
    same here
    Um...didn't you post a video not long ago of dumping and sorting a bag of Royal Oak? 
    yes  I posted that video to show one way to load for a low and slow cook. This was based on info from fellow Eggheads of a good way to load to help keep the fire going for those 20 plus hour cooks.  I have tried this method and it works great.  I will admit that I have done this twice, the other times I simply place bigger pieces on the bottom and pour from the bag.  IF you have never tired the method of sorting and filling big on bottom and smaller on top, give it a try and let me know if you think it helps with a solid S/L cook.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• tikigriller
    Options
    This seems like over thinking things to me. I keep them in buckets for the waterproof factor, but just cut and dump. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I would imagine that dumping versus sorting could make a difference with flashback. Would not charcoal dust increase the chance for flashback when cooking at high temps? I don't know if this is true or not, but I remember reading years ago that the bad smoke we wait to burn off before a cook is heavier with a lot of dust. Is there any truth to that?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,088
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I use gravity to help.  Cut hole on bag.  Tilt such that gravity pulls the pieces out of the hole.

In general, pointing the hole towards the ground will result in satisfactory results.
    Isn't that the quack who talks $$$$hit about global cooling, global warmer no, errrr climate change????  What....ever
    Nope.  That's Neil deGrasse Tyson, brilliant astrophysicist.  He parades around this forum under the handle @ozzie_isaac

Sshhhhh.  Don't blow my cover.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,088
    Options
    blasting said:
    I like it simple and hate messing with the bag.  I pour into a bucket - it's easy to pour from, and it's waterproof.

Make sure you grab the right bucket.  Chlorine has a terrible smoke profile.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    This seems like over thinking things to me. I keep them in buckets for the waterproof factor, but just cut and dump. 
    #cut&dump
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Everyone here says no

it burns fine. Hot actually, if you grill a lot

Heretic for sure!  And overthinking is status quo.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga