Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh meat delivery, never frozen

Options
www.greateromaha.com

New packaging allows for a 30 day refrigerated shelf life.  I have not tried these yet, but may have to soon.
Elkhorn, NE
1 large egg
28" Blackstone
Akorn Jr. 

Comments

• MN-Egger
    Options
    Can't seem to find the grading on their site? Choice?
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    MN-Egger said:
    Can't seem to find the grading on their site? Choice?
    meat is not required to be graded. 

Omaha steaks for example are ungraded.  CAB beef is their own grade, somewhere between choice and prime (or "top choice").

USDA inspections must occur for safety and wholesomeness, but you do not need to have them also grade.  that is an extra service, IIRC
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I must be a poor boy, their prices are ridiculous to me. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited September 2016
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Their Ribeyes are $45.72/lb. We aren't poor, we just aren't rich enough.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    BilZol said:
    Must be looking at something different
    4x8oz $70 = $35/lb ?????
  • Toxarch
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    Toxarch said:
    BilZol said:
    Must be looking at something different
    4x8oz $70 = $35/lb ?????

14 oz. Ribeye (4 ct.) Price $159.99

That's $40 each 14 oz Ribeye which equals $45.72/lb.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You get what you pay for, unless you're unhappy.
    Options
    I have been getting my ribeye's at Kroger----the whole uncut type----6.99 per lb, whereas if you buy individual ribeye's they are 12.99 per lb.  I think I can cut them myself for nearly half price.  Plus, I like mine thicker than what you usually get in grocery stores, so not only do I save money but I get a better, thicker steak to boot
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • BikerBob
    Options
    I'm with you rfmr62. For even $35.00 per pound this poor boy can buy a big ole chunk of meat. At that price they should deliver it cooked to the table with all the fixin's and clean up afterward.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    It's less about how expensive this beef is and more about how incredibly cheap regular beef is

factory farming has driven the costs down quite a bit.  Grain fed versus grain finished or grass fed too. 

'Omnivore's Dilemma'. Highly recommended the read. 

Gramma and grampa couldn't afford beef four, five, seven nights a week. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    It's less about how expensive this beef is and more about how incredibly cheap regular beef is

factory farming has driven the costs down quite a bit.  Grain fed versus grain finished or grass fed too. 

'Omnivore's Dilemma'. Highly recommended the read. 

Gramma and grampa couldn't afford beef four, five, seven nights a week. 
    This.  Plus the chemical cocktails to speed growth and weight gain.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options

yup, those prices are more reflective of the true cost of beef when you strip away subsidies, mechanization, artificial growth methods & all the other things modern agribusiness/the gubment have done to cheapen the big mac.

Or they're just over-charging because they have pretty pictures
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm sure they are capitalizing on aspirational (read: yuppie) mindsets re farm to table and all that. And banking on disposable income. No harm there too

but beef raised solely on grain is not only much cheaper to begin with, it doesn't even taste like what beef 'used to be'. But we grew up with it and don't know any different

My point though was that gas isn't expensive in europe. It's cheap here. Same for beef, fish, etc. 

we are so used to artifically deflated prices on some stuff that we assume it is an outright screwing when something is priced higher. 

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I tend to agree, & mostly I blame Pete & his tomato conspirators
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Well. Pete is a whole different thing. Twelve dollar communist tomatoes. Running the giant supermarkets out of business with his roadside card table and wicker basket of vegetables. Damned coffee can with a slit in the plastic lid for your money. 

Conspiring to bring down agribusiness. 

• BilZol
    Options
    We've been buying the cow, well, half at a time, from a friend of my wife's. They are grass Fed and organic and the processor calls us on howhat we want it cut. We do supplement with store boughto, but are selective. Not 40.00 a pound selective though. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Profound
    New Albany, Ohio 

• BilZol
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Profound

He nailed it though. I guess I'm guilty on occasion of overpaying too, and happily I might add, for certain things. My annual pilgrimage to Victoria and Albert's comes to mind....
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'll take "regular" ribeyes and a bottle of liquor over $45/lb ribeyes all day long. 
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    It is ironic how SRF is praised around here and yet I bring something similar and it's overpriced.  All home delivery meat is expensive.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • Bshults1
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Profound

He nailed it though. I guess I'm guilty on occasion of overpaying too, and happily I might add, for certain things. My annual pilgrimage to Victoria and Albert's comes to mind....
    I splurged on a dinner there with my wife a couple years ago, and I'd do it a second time if I'm ever in the neighborhood again
  • Toxarch
    Options
    It is ironic how SRF is praised around here and yet I bring something similar and it's overpriced.  All home delivery meat is expensive.
    If it helps, I can't afford to part with my money for SRF either.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.