Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking with wood chunks

Options
Hi everybody! I just smoked baby backs for the first time on my large EGG. I soaked the hickory chunks and put them on the coals just prior to adding the indirect cooking deflector and the cooking grid. The chunks burnt out within a 1/2 hour, even though I had the cooking temperature set at 250. So I added some dry hickory and pecan chunks, feeding them through the cracks between the EGG wall and the indirect cooking deflector. If I want to maintain smoke for (up to) 3 hours, any tips on maintaining the smoke for that long of a period? If I need to add smoking chunks midway through the smoking process, are their any other options rather than removing the food from the grill and adding the chunks to the firebox? THANKS!

Comments

• BizGreenEgg
    Options
    No need to soak wood, and no need to maintain smoke for that long (unless cold smoking).  Meat only absorbs smoke in the very early stages, while the surface temperature of the meat is low - I can't recall the temp at which this stops, but I believe @nolaegghead could tell you and possibly provide the exact chemical reaction.  
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2016
    Options
    No need to soak wood, and no need to maintain smoke for that long (unless cold smoking).  Meat only absorbs smoke in the very early stages, while the surface temperature of the meat is low - I can't recall the temp at which this stops, but I believe @nolaegghead could tell you and possibly provide the exact chemical reaction.  
    meat will be flavored by smoke at any time.  the smoke RING is what stops forming early in the cook. it's around 140 (temp of the meat).

but it is not associated with amount of smoke flavor

@Paulmattern   just put the chips or chunks in the middle-ish of the egg, maybe slightly toward the back (if you find that your fire burns toward that direction).  the fire tends to burn downward as it chases the incoming air, rather than upward and out. so just put extra chips/chinks where you think the fire will go.  for me, that's in the center, up and down through the lump.  i just jam it in
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Meat only absorbs smoke in the very early stages, while the surface temperature of the meat is low - I can't recall the temp at which this stops... 
    This is incorrect. Food will take on additional smoke as long as there IS smoke. You're thinking of the smoke RING (which has nothing to do with smoke =)). The temp you couldn't recall is 140°, by the way. But that's for the ring.

To the OP, I just throw a few unsoaked chunks in there after lighting and forget about it. I have never added more later on. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2016
    Options

at which this stops... 
    This is incorrect. Food will take on additional smoke as long as there IS smoke. You're thinks of the smoke RING (which has nothing to do with smoke =)). The temp you couldn't recall is 140°, by the way. But that's for the ring.
    preach! death to the myth that will not die!

you never add wood?  i toss stuff in the egg all the time.  love extra smoke.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• EggMcMic
    Options
    If you want a longer smoke another option would be to use one A-Maze-Ing's products. They use pellets instead of chunks and the pellets burn for a longer time. 6-12 hours if memory serves me correct. Not chunks, but another option.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    EggMcMic said:
    If you want a longer smoke another option would be to use one A-Maze-Ing's products. They use pellets instead of chunks and the pellets burn for a longer time. 6-12 hours if memory serves me correct. Not chunks, but another option.
    good for cold smoking, but not for 'Q really. or is it?

• EggMcMic
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw I have used it to add smoke to a low and slow and I think it is a good addition to the smoke flavor. I was given one as a gift and was a little skeptical since I had used chunks before but it works well in my opinion. It helps I have a pellet grill as well so I have the pellets on hand...although I haven't used that grill since July when I got my LBGE!
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Darby_Crenshaw said:

More often than not, I don't even USE wood. Dump in some RO and light. Not only are the Rockwood fanboys wasting money on so-called "premium" lump, they're wasting it on wood chunks too. RO... cheap lump, free smoke flavor. :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    EggMcMic said:
    @Darby_Crenshaw I have used it to add smoke to a low and slow and I think it is a good addition to the smoke flavor. I was given one as a gift and was a little skeptical since I had used chunks before but it works well in my opinion. It helps I have a pellet grill as well so I have the pellets on hand...although I haven't used that grill since July when I got my LBGE!
    interesting.  haven't heard of it being used at higher temps.
    thanks

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    The chunks burnt out within a 1/2 hour, even though I had the cooking temperature set at 250.
    I doubt the chunks actually burned out within a half hour, although I'm sure the steam from the soaked chunks/white smoke probably stopped billowing out of the BGE around that time.
    Stillwater, MN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    its more likely the chunks are still burning slowly with a really clean looking smoke, you wont see much in a tight cooker like an egg but its stll there. smell the smoke and see if theres a camp fire like smell to it.  metal cookers burn hotter in the pit, they leak, theres more air draw and thats why they look like they are smoking away.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Darby_Crenshaw said:

More often than not, I don't even USE wood. Dump in some RO and light. Not only are the Rockwood fanboys wasting money on so-called "premium" lump, they're wasting it on wood chunks too. RO... cheap lump, free smoke flavor. :rofl:
    LOL, AMEN FATHER Q!
    PREACH ON!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    What fishlessman said.  In fact, most will recommend that you don't put your food on the egg until the billowing white smoke has cleared and you are left with a clear or pale blue smoke both for taste and possible health reasons.  It sounds to me that what you viewed as the chunks being burnt out may have been the point in time when many recommend that the food is placed on the egg. 
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    My Xl tends to burn down and towards the back.  On my low and slows, I now bury chunks in the lump starting between the middle of the egg and front, and then continue to place several chunks going down through the lump towards the back.  I light in one place between the middle of the lump and the front of the egg right above my first buried chunk.  Put the platesetter in and let it all come up to temp.  Right before placing the meat on, I put a large chunk of whatever wood I am using right on top of where the fire is.  Push that chunk down into the charcoal to make sure it contacts the fire.  Works for me and I get plenty of smoke flavor on my low and slows.  
    XL BGE
  • Paulmattern
    Paulmattern Posts: 3
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all of the useful suggestions everyone! I used to have a Brinkmann offset smoker, so i was used to seeing visible smoke billowing out of the chimney. You're probably right about the absence of visible smoke meaning that the wood chunks have been reduced to charcoal, but it IS still wood, so the flavoring should still be going. This was my very first time using the EGG in the indirect mode and with smoking wood, so I'll chalk it up to inexperience, but I sure am glad that this forum exists so I can learn from the BGE veterans! Regardless, the ribs turned out AWESOME, and my girlfriend even went to far to call them the best ribs she's ever had!

Thanks again my new EGGhead friends!
  • abpgwolf
    Options
    Here is a very good article form Amazing Ribs: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE