Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knives Recommendations

Options
gary
gary Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am mostly a lurker and don't post very often. I do find this list incredible and the people on it terrific. I have had a large BGE for a little over a year and am planning on adding a small from the eggtoberfest. In the meantime, my wife wants to get some decent knives. From time to time I have seen references to knives but have not kept track.[p]If anyone has suggestions and experiences, I would love to hear about them.[p]Thanks in advance![p]Gary

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Gary,[p] You will always see strong support for Henckels and Wustoff, plus several suppliers using similar steel. When considering them, take a serious look at Kershaw .... and specifically Shun Classic and Shun Pro series. These are very high quality cutlery and offer free sharpening (other than shipping costs).[p] I have these knives (in addition to many Henckels) and they are superb. I have also added several special Japanese steel knives, but that gets you into a much more comprehensive sharpening process that you may want to investigate throughly before committing.[p]http://www.kershawknives.com/large.htm[p]Good Luck,
    Tom B (EggSport)[p]

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Gary,
    Though not cheap, this is my choice. I have a set and they are great. [p]http://www.cutco.com/jsp/home.jsp[p]Chef Jerry

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    Gary,[p]I'm 100% Wusthof. I believe they hold the most value for the $. I have used more than 14 different brands after working in restaraunts for 8 years. There are better knives but for a considerable amount of $ (2-3x). I don't even think Henckles are a close 2nd but I'm sure some like them if they haven't compared...[p]My two favorites are the off-set handle deli knife & the Hollow Edge Santoku knife which I use 50% of the time.[p]I think you pretty much get what you pay for when it comes to knives.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),
    I looked at the Shun knives on the link and they really look nice. [p]I guess my recommendation is that whatever you decide to buy, you actually buy the knives that you need/use versus a packaged set. I more or less collect knives and have a lot more than three or four households could really use, but I actually use about 5 knives regularly -- two paring knives (about 4 inches), an 8 or 10" chef's knife or equivalent, a good slicing knife, and a bread knife, if you like whole loaves of bread. After that, I'd get a boning knife, but I actually prefer a filet knife for that duty. Be sure and get a good steel -- they will help keep your edges in shape between real sharpenings. [p]The sets are cheaper, based on the number of knives, but I think that you can spend the same or less and get knives that you will really use. [p]Although I am sure they are good, I am not a fan of ceramic knives. I have one that I used one time to slice tomatos and it has never been out of the drawer since.

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    SmokinBoB,[p]See and I have used Henkles for years... I love them, and the Wustoffs didn't feel right in my hand. [p]I was just in this delema myself, I needed to replace a couple of my knives and thought I should look around and see what was out there.... I went to several shops looking, serched the net, and ended up back at Henkles... It was the best value for my money.... [p]But thats why they make different knives...[p]One of the ones I picked up was a Groton Hollow blade... It is superb for cutting cooked meat.
  • okesmokie
    okesmokie Posts: 150
    Options
    Gary,try this link its where i get my knives being a butcher for 35years i by butcher knives but they have all kinds...okkesmokie
    http://www.accuratesharp.com/

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]Me too. Cutco's are great. I bought several in my set used from ebay. with the lifetime warranty we buy a few, ship them to cutco for repair (and in the case of one knife, full replacement.[p]Nice, huh?
  • The Virginian
    Options
    Gary,
    For good knives at a good price you can't beat Forschner. I use them in competitions, and they keep a great edge. [p]Brett

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Gary,
    We have 3 Globals, and I can't speak highly enough about how sharp they are, how easy to sharpen they are, and most important (to me at least) how good they fit my hand.[p]Like the man said below, you truly get what you pay for.[p]Ken

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Hard to go wrong with Forschner Knives and Edge Pro sharpners.[p]Toy Man
  • CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    Gary,[p]Someone posted this link last time this subject came up. Great site. Check the cutlery section
    [ul][li]http://www.japanwoodworker.com/page.asp?content_id=2896[/ul]
  • ButtsLuvRubs
    Options
    Gary,
    Check out www.knifemerchant for brands & costs....and advice.
    The owner, John Borg, has been a cook/chef for 40yrs. b4 going retail & knows knives & cookware and stocks 24 knife brands lo to hi costs from around the world as well as 7 quality mfg's of cookware at discounted prices.
    John is most helpful in choosing the right knife(s) for the job & does so based on buyer's budget.
    He knows his products...and has toured Wusthof's new robot plant in Germany.
    Min. shpg is $5.85; max is $9.95 & all small stuff goes USPS PriorityMail & shipment is prompt.[p]My overall preference is 'Wusthof Trident' brand & the most versatile kitchen/Egg model I have purchased is the 10" Super Slicer w/wavy serrated edge($78)and wide, thin blade...the half moon edges slice like razors rather than tear as a pointed serration sometime does. It is great for slicing raw or cooked loins or thin slicing a turkey breast & most items inbetween....mine is 4yrs. old & still razor sharp & will thin slice a very ripe tomato w/o smashing!
    However, the wavy edge does not cut crusty bread very well.[p]Another favorite is the 'Glestain' brand...ultimate quality and on the pricey side...but worth it IMO.[p]As for 'Cutco', my wife bought a full kitchen set/doz. steak knives over 20yrs. ago and altho pricey, they cut very well, especially the serrated blades. The 'Cutco' advantage is that they re-sharpen for free(s&h is extra); and when the serrations wear out, they replace it free...most of ours have been replaced including several straight edge blades.... [p]Anywhooo, you can't go wrong with this source if John has the brand you choose...about $2k for 7 orders over 4yrs. have gone his way & any future needs will as well....much of that, including 1/2doz.
    S-Slicers, being special ocassion gifts for friends/family who don't have a decent knife in the kitchen.
    Good EggPrep definitely needs good KnifeWork.... :)))
    DavidS[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Gary,
    my vote is for the global, the one next to it is a bunmei and those are the 2 that get the most work. the bunmei is too hard to sharpen but fortunatly holds an edge well. the 2 on th right are very old lampsons, carbon steel and all stained, but still workhorses. the small paring knife is a wustoff, needs to be sharpened all the time and will be changed out someday when i find something i like. the one in the plastic case came with the house, nice for cutting cans.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Gary,[p]All of these comments are excellent as are all of the knives. Here is what you are looking for [p]1. Something that feels good in your hand.
    2. a knife that will hold an edge.
    3. A knife designed to perform the function you need.[p]For me I need 4 knives. a bread knife, a meat slicer, a chefs Knife (8 inch), and a paring knife.[p]Number 1 and 2 are the most important.

• gary
    gary Posts: 28
    Options
    Thank You Everyone for the suggestions. [p]I'm overwhelmed, confused but most important, at the beginning of a new quest for the knives that will work best for me and my wife.[p]What a great resource this list is.
    Thanks again![p]Gary[p]

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    Master Mason,[p]That's what I liked about Wusthof's, as they offered multiple handles and the Grand Prix was just right.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the picture would of helped. i am not a big fan of the sets they sell, seams a couple of the knives will fit your needs, and then a couple you will never use, also when holding a knife, you may not always be holding the handle the same, like with a pairing knife it may be facing you in your hand, so make sure you hold them the way you maybe using them in the store to make sure they are comfortable
    fukahwee maine

• Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I am a little late in posting my comments re: Knives However my choice is J.A.Hencklels of Solingen, Germany.
    These are professional knives, will stay sharp almost for ever. Mine are 30 years old, and are like new. They are expensive, but you will have them for many, many years.

• Unknown
    Options
    CT Grillguy,[p] I agree strongly, and have purchased a few Japanese knives from them as well as water stones for sharpening. They have several very knowledgeable cutlery sales people who can provide sound advice. [p] I only caution potential new users to take time to understand differences from the many conventional knives mentioned in this thread to avoid surprises. Japanese steel (especially in their higher quality knives, is very hard and buyers should learn how they must be sharpened properly.[p]Regards,[p]Tom B (EggSport)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),
    im a knife freak, and i couldnt agree more with this, one of my oroshi knives takes half a day to hone from very sharp to scary sharp. i like sharpening my own knives so this isnt a problem for me, but for the average egger, i think this would pose a problem. to fix a ding in the knife would take months. also what ever you buy make sure to store it well, not loosly in a drawer, but wrap them up or a wall magnet, and never let it touch the sink. using a good end grain cutting board will also save that edge, forget about the plastic, glass, edge grain, or even the hard bamboo. end grain is very forgiving on knives

fukahwee maine

• Unknown
    Options
    fishlessman,[p] Obviously you have a solid handle on the subject and are offering sound advice. [p] Having said that, I am finding an enjoyable learning curve and challenge with my Tadafusa Usuba and Santoku knives and a couple of Damascus knives as well. I have two Shapton Professional water stones and continue to practice on my several Henckel 5-Star blades before tackling the harder (and single-bevel) ones. It is a fun alternative to the endless experiments with the BGE ![p]Regards,
    Tom B (EggSport)

• Unknown
    Options
    Definitely "test drive" several brands (I like Wustof-Trident and LamsonSharp) to see what's best balanced and comfortable in your and your wife's hands. [p]Michelle
  • Unknown
    Options
    mkc,[p] Point well taken !! Two of my large, heavy, Chef's knives, and a planned Japanese Deba, are just too heavy and unbalanced for my wife to really enjoy. Slightly different versions are great for her needs and she welcomes the chance to use them daily. [p]Tom B (EggSport)
  • The Pork Jesters
    Options
    mkc,[p]You mentioned Lamson Sharp. My BIL uses only LS. Says the are easier to sharpen. Do you find that to be the case? [p]Odis