Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's talk Chicken

Options
CT Grillguy
CT Grillguy Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I feel like I'm fairly accomplished on the Egg, but I can't do whole chickens. I've tried basically every method, but the product never seems to be "great" like most everything else is on the Egg.[p]I have great success with skinless breasts, chicken parts, etc. But the whole chickens I've done have been lacking.[p]Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have a failsafe, flavourful, skintastic chicken recipe? My wife loves to eat the skin and has never been happy with my egged whole chickens.[p]PS, I did my Thanksgiving turkey on the Egg last year and it was amazing.

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    CT Grillguy,
    Have you tried the "beer butt" chicken? Coat it with EVOO and then season it to you liking, then place on the can 1/2 full of whatever, beer, wine, vinegar, and cook indirect at 350 till the breast is 180. You can also raise the temp up in the last 15 minutes to get a crispier skin. Just put the can in a shallow pan to catch the drippings.

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    ronbeaux,[p]If you really want a moist beer can chicken..then stuff an onion in the neck of the chicken...that will keep the beer in the chicken a little longer..
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    icemncmth,
    I do that on occasion, as well as a lemon or a lime depending on my seasoning choice of the day.[p]Have a great day!

• FossilPeddler
    Options
    I have done spatchcocked with mixed results, so last night I decided to do whole roast chicken. Considered beer can, but decided to do a simple setup. Put the grill extender on and got the dome temp to 400 and held that temp until the smoke burned clean.

Then I added about 2 cups of soaked wood chips, half apple/half wine barrel oak to the coals, put a foil drip pan under the grill extender and put two whole chickens (with EVOO and S&P) onto the grill extender. Cooked at close to 400 degrees for almost an hour, it was fantastic, and the skin was pretty crisp. I think if I had let the chickens rest uncovered in the fridge for several hours it would have been crisper.

Good luck!
  • dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Options
    CT Grillguy,
    Hey Scott...have you tried butterflying it? and putting a little butter on the outside of the skin?[p]Try this link, i've always had success doing them this way.[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm[p]

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    NightBloomingCirrus2011.jpg
    <p />CT Grillguy,
    It took me a while to get consistent results with whole chickens too. I prefer to do spatchcock, direct at about 350. I cook to temp but also test for doneness by wiggling the thigh. If it moves easily, it's ready. If not, I wait, even if the temp is at 180. If you want crisper skin, I've taken to the following method. Heat up a large cast iron pan. I have a Lodge pizza pan but a skillet would work. Then set it on your skin-side-up spatchcock chicken. Do this about 10 minutes before it's done. Yes, you do lose a little moisture with this "pressed" chicken process but not much.
    Paul

• CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    Essex County,[p]Thanks, that looks promising. I've always done indirect cooks with whole birds, but I think I like the idea of direct heat better. I always like the flavor of chicken parts done direct, so why not!