Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SWMBO desires quick and easy way to start charcoal without fire starters

Options
I have used Rutland fire starts since I started.  SWMBO would like to use the BGE XL too and fire up.  
Too much to review online.
- electric fire starter,
- looflighter,
- bison air lighter, 
- etc.
I am leaning towards not being tied with an electrical cord.
any other easy way to start other....

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

-BGE XL, DIGIQ

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Harbor freight weedburner 25.00 with the starter button. I promise you will Never go back. OR for more dignified and slightly less fun MAPPGAS torch at lowes etc. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @jasonegg - electric fire starter.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    second step is teaching her how dial in desired temp.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Bottle of 93% alcohol. Use like lighter fluid. Let it soak in, stand back and drop a match. 

Or weed torch. 
  • Hans61
    Options
    Bottle of 93% alcohol. Use like lighter fluid. Let it soak in, stand back and drop a match. 

Or weed torch. 
    read a post a while back that said your recommended method doesn't put any smell in the ceramics. is it your go to or only for high heat cooks?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

Or weed torch. 
    You been raiding my liquor cabinet?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Chimney. Paper. charcoal. Done.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I honestly don't think any method is easier than starter cubes.  Some other methods are quicker, but they're not easier.  Recently I switched to a MAP gas torch, and I feel mixed about it.  There's no question that it's faster, and I do like that.  I'm not so crazy about the showers of sparks that sometimes billow out of the Egg when I'm doing it.  I wear safety glasses, so I really think there's no serious risk to my safety, but I do wonder whether I might be burning some tiny little holes in my shirt, sometimes.  I think the weed burners are even worse that way.  I don't know what to say.  Starter cubes are slow, but most of the time, there's no waiting at all, because I know it'll take 20 minutes or so, so I'd light the fire and then go in and have 15-20 minutes worth of prep to do.  No problem!  It was just that once in a while when I wanted a big hot fire spread across the whole lump, and I was sort of in a hurry, just was going to throw on some steaks and there wasn't really much prep to do, the starter cubes seemed slow, and I do like the MAP torch better for that.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Hans61 I use this weed torch most of the time. Like the alcohol for travel which is usually a hotter, short cook. Benzomatic available at big box stores. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    For her, Weber Starter Cubes and a grill lighter.

Not many women will wield a torch, or pick up a blazing hot chimney to dump in. 

The plug in electric starter would be my second recommendation. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @theophan my torch does keep me further away from the sparks, but I do have a couple of holy shirts. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Propane torch. 15 seconds hit coals in middle the size of tennis ball. Close lid. Prep food. 10 minutes...done. Ready to go. Next.....
  • schafe98
    Options
    Lump goes in the chimney, chimney goes on the side burner of my gas grill. Easy.  No ash from paper.
    Vacaville, CA

LBGE, Weber Summit, UDS, Weber Classic, Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Paper towel, little veg oil, roll it up, stick it in the coals, light it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Theophan
    Options
    @theophan my torch does keep me further away from the sparks, but I do have a couple of holy shirts. 
    I was afraid of that!  If I do start finding holes in my shirts, I may have to re-think my MAP torch.  I do like how handy and fast it is, but man, sometimes there are a whole lotta sparks...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Mix iron oxide (rust) and aluminum powder together.  Put in center of lump pile.  Light with a match.  Step back quickly.  Cook.
    Options
    does she not like the starter cubes where you light and walk away instead of standing there watching and eventually getting burned. oil and napkin works best for me, this is how i do it so im not putting oil on a napkin evey time i light it
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy/p1

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options
    Anyone remember the BBQ Guru golf club? Sounds like just the ticket for OP's wifey.
  • Drop a sugar-cube sized lump of pure, raw sodium on the grill. Ready in seconds...

(PS, do not actually try this...lol)
    Egging in Indy...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Drop a sugar-cube sized lump of pure, raw sodium on the grill. Ready in seconds...

Hate to break this to you....but elemental sodium is an extreme reducing agent, and lump charcoal is a mild reducing agent.  They won't react.  In fact, sodium is kept safely in mineral spirits or diesel fuel, also mild reducing agents.  You could pour water on it, or something oxidizing like sodium nitrite, but you'll probably end up regretful. ;)
    yljkt said:
    Propane torch. 15 seconds hit coals in middle the size of tennis ball. Close lid. Prep food. 10 minutes...done. Ready to go. Next.....
    Absolutely. I don't know why everyone doesn't do this. Certainly everyone who has watched me do it has been converted.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    Drop a sugar-cube sized lump of pure, raw sodium on the grill. Ready in seconds...

Hate to break this to you....but elemental sodium is an extreme reducing agent, and lump charcoal is a mild reducing agent.  They won't react.  In fact, sodium is kept safely in mineral spirits or diesel fuel, also mild reducing agents.  You could pour water on it, or something oxidizing like sodium nitrite, but you'll probably end up regretful. ;)
    my hs science teacher  dropped a golf ball sized piece in to a sink full of water =) you should have seen it go thru the ceiling
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I've been using a Looftlighter quite happily for three years. 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Electric start is clean and easy.  Plug it in and wait 9 mins.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Be sure you include directions. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Theophan
    Options
    There's a video showing liquid oxygen to be very effective -- a roaring fire in 30 seconds!

Lighting a Grill with Liquid Oxygen is the Opposite of Safe
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Still old school...Cimney, newspaper, light, have a beer, dump into egg... works everytime
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• MelSharples
    Options

$23 heat gun from Home Depot. Just like a hair dryer but supercharged!

LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    If I'm doing hamburgers or hot dogs, 91% alcohol in center, area a little bigger than my hand flat, put more lump on top, light.
    If it is a low and slow, I start a few pieces of lump in a chimney, place in pile in center with chunks of wood mixed in with rest of lump.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks