Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5 lb boneless leg of lamb - help please

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dang it, I know I saw a post awhile back (with pictures) of a terrific looking leg of lamb, but I've searched the archives every way I can think of and I haven't found it. I did see Big Daddy's recipe, and plan to follow that pretty closely - except I have tons of fresh rosemary in the garden and was planning to use that too. Any suggestions? Any spice combinations I should avoid with the rosemary? Big Daddy's recipe uses garlic, ginger, sage, marjoram, pepper and thyme. Also, any ideas on setup, recommended temp and ballpark cooking time per pound will be greatly appreciated. [p]Thanks!
Starling

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    EgginHomer,[p] Ping thirdeye .... he has some great info and pics![p]Tom B (EggSport)

• Unknown
    Options
    EgginHomer,[p] Also, see if this link works for you. You'll have to scroll down to find thirdeye's post and pics.[p]Tom B. (EggSport)
    [ul][li]thirdeye post [/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    223b98b2.jpg
    <p />EgginHomer,[p]Oh man, you gotta check this out. It is DobieDad's technique for a stuffed lamb shoulder. He was one of the first "Guest Pit Bosses" to publish a recipe on my cookin' site and this one is a doozie. Click the link to go directly to the lamb page.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Link[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • An Egg Downunder
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Great looking piece of lamb But to give it that authentic Aussie flavour, replace the Dijon mustard with Vegemite. Your taste buds will love you for it!
  • BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    EgginHomer,[p]I have used this recipe and it is good. Includes rosemary! Enjoy.[p]BillT[p]
    Hardwood Grilled Leg of Lamb
    Serves 8
    • 4–5 lb boneless leg of lamb[p]Marinade:
    • 1/4 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
    • 1/4 cup organic balsamic vinegar
    • 1 TB minced garlic
    • 1 TB minced fresh rosemary
    • 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    • 1/2 tsp sugar
    • sea salt to taste
    • Whole Foods Hardwood charcoal
    Prep time: 30 minutes. Cooking time: 11/2 hours.
    1. Remove netting or string from leg of lamb.
    2. Combine marinade ingredients.
    3. Roll out leg of lamb; marinate flat in the refrigerator for 6–24 hours, turning several times while marinating.
    4. Start fire, using the equivalent of 2 gallons of charcoal. While coals are heating, roll and tie the leg of lamb. When coals are glowing, spread the coals into 2 piles on opposite edges of grill. For extra flavor, toss mesquite chips (soaked in water for about 15 minutes) over hot coals prior to cooking.
    5. Place cooking grill over coals. Place a piece of foil in the center of the grill to catch drippings. Place lamb on foil and cook covered with air vents open for 75 to 90 minutes. Remove from grill. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.