Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Fire went out

Options
Long time reader of the forum!  Attempted my first overnight 11lb packer brisket cook, unfortunately fire went out!
brisket on at 9:15, at a dome temp of 235
at 3:50 am, fire was going and brisket was 143 internal
sometime between 3:50 and 7am fire went out.  Egg temp was 135 a brisket had dropped to 127.
advice, is it ruined or since got above 140 for a time is it ok?  Im leaning towards chock this up as a failure and find something else to serve tonight!  Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Eat it, or send it to me and I will make Chile out of it.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @rslynch

Ur fine, not even close to being done.  Fire up the egg and keep cooking.
    You still have hours in the stall (+160F) which will kill anything.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I did a couple of measurements some time ago. It takes nearly 2 hours for a dome temp of 250 to drop below 140 when the fire is put out. Not likely the meat was in the "danger sone" for more than the food safety 4 hours.
  • rslynch
    Options
    Thanks, egg is going, brisket back up to 145!   Just hope it will be ready for dinner at 7 tonight
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    I agree. You will have hours at 160 or above and thus will kill anything that would've grown.

It might be a little dry so you may want to consider wrapping. (Gasp!)

Not to start a fight, but you may wind up with a juicier product with wrapping. This is a blind guess, but it seems to make since since total cook time will be longer.

Either way, I would eat it. If it's dry, just make some sauce or make it into chili. It'll still be awesome.

By the by, I had the same thing happened. With ribs and they were fine. I honestly couldn't tell the difference.     
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE