Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Life Hack - Monitor Temperature Anywhere

Options
Nashville_Egger
Nashville_Egger Posts: 28
edited September 2016 in EggHead Forum
Smoking pork shoulder all day today. I have a dual probed pit monitor but I wanted to be able to keep track of it on my phone. Decided to point my nest camera (that we use to keep tabs on our dog) at the display and now boom I can watch the temps anywhere in the world. 

Figured I'd pass along this wisdom for those of you with baby monitors/nanny cams/nest cams.

Large BGE - Nashville, TN

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    great idea!
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Cool!  Really good idea, thanks for sharing.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • busmania
    Options
    nice, good call. I'll be retiring the baby monitor soon. Was always kind of worthless...till now!
  • busmania
    Options
    Although I did once use it to monitor a garage sale I was having. Camera on, working in basement. Somone would walk up to look at stuff and I could go outside to greet them.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Missed a great opportunity to rename that camera "Garage 2 - Ferrari" or "Grotto" or "South Entrance" or "BGE XXXL - Blue" or something....
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I've got an older model DropCam (which is now owned by nest) that I have used to monitor my old Thermoworks TW8060 a few times. Now it is set up to monitor my 3d printer (which is much more interesting :) ).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Used a video baby monitor to keep an eye on my pork butt and Wagyu brisket temps overnight last weekend. Lol.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Yup. That's saved my butt several times. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Travis posted the same thing a few years ago. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Travis posted the same thing a few years ago. 
    Travis boils brisket too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I bet you dog is glad not being on camera anymore.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I just recently got a couple of Nest camera's. I love them! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If I want to know how the egg is doing or what the meat temp is, I just walk outside and look. It's not far.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I keep a drone around for this. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    The only problem using a cam for this is that unless you keep looking at it, you may not see when something went awry until it is too late. 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    John - do you have to pay the monthly fee for each best cam?  That's been one of the only things holding me back. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I just pay a Russian spy. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    John - do you have to pay the monthly fee for each best cam?  That's been one of the only things holding me back. 
    There is only a monthly fee if you want to record/store the camera feed. If you just want a real time (mostly real time anyway) stream there is no extra fee.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• johnkitchens
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    There is only a monthly fee if you want to record/store the camera feed. If you just want a real time (mostly real time anyway) stream there is no extra fee.
    I just got them a couple of weeks ago, but @HeavyG is exactly right. I am going to do the 10 day backup plan for $100 a year per camera. I hate to spend it, but I think it is worth it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    The only problem using a cam for this is that unless you keep looking at it, you may not see when something went awry until it is too late. 

yes but it still better than nothing. I is this a couple weeks ago with a brisket cook. Sure enough, the fire
    went out and I was able to rush home to light it back. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    onedbguru said:

yes but it still better than nothing. I is this a couple weeks ago with a brisket cook. Sure enough, the fire
    went out and I was able to rush home to light it back. 
    That was pretty much the intent when using mine - just check it occasionally to let me know if the fire went out or had jumped too high. No different than a remote reading thermometer as it is not like I would sit and stare at the thermometer the entire time either.

• OhioEgger
    Options
    Clever approach. This is why I love my Flame Boss 200. It lets me not only monitor the temp on my phone but adjust it as well.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.