Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Epilogue: using Mickey's salt trick for corralling butt grease

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
This late morning butt #9 went on my egg. For the last 6 butts this week I have used coarse kosher salt sprinkled on a foil covered shallow Hefty pizza pan to corral the heavy grease these butts have been releasing. I know there was some discussion earlier this week when I posted a question about this method and maybe the resident experts explained why this could or could not work, all I know is it worked for me and will remain one of my ongoing methods! While it doesn't solidify all the grease it makes what little is left very manageable. BTW I have changed out after each butt cook. Here's a picture for proof though not a very pretty picture! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    Interesting... I'm going to try this on my next one.  
    Thanks!

OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • RRP
    Options
    Logger said:
    Interesting... I'm going to try this on my next one.  
    Thanks!

I experimented with the amount of salt and I'm sure the more the better, but I'm just Scotch enough that a nice consistent pattern of scattered kosher works well enough to be able to remove the dip pan safely for disposal of the remaining grease. BTW that blacken part is crusty & crackling hard!
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I did not understand from the original post what you were trying to accomplish with the salt. I thought the salt was creating the airgap underneath the pan. This method you are illustrating makes sense. I will be sure to try this for the eggfest coming up
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have studied this exhaustively and have concluded that it makes your grease very salty.
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    This method you are illustrating makes sense. I will be sure to try this for the eggfest coming up
    You're doing a butt for an eggfest? Surely you must mean like taking it partially cooked and finishing and pulling there. huh?
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I have studied this exhaustively and have concluded that it makes your grease very salty.
    I have thought for some time now that you were very smart! I was right.........

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    i usually forget to remove that pan and get greeted by it during the next cook =)
    Me too. Lots of alcohol leads to late clean up. Or alternatively, early clean up. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Now that looks like something I might actually try a bite of.  I had a fork ready for a recent butt cook, and had to abort strictly going by smell and visual.  I'm not that stupid.

What's even more concerning are the cats letting all this grease run amok into their fire.  Yeah, no thanks.
    May give this a try next time Ron.  Thanks
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    About how many tablespoons?  Will any kind of salt work?
  • RRP
    Options
    Legume said:
    About how many tablespoons?  Will any kind of salt work?
    All these times I just scattered coarse kosher salt around the pan. Look back at my picture first posted in this thread today and note the area between 2:00 and 3:00 and you will see salt where no grease hit. I looked back for one of Mickey's pictures and it appears he puts down a thick solid bed, unlike what I chose to do.
  • RRP
    Options

Focker said:
    Now that looks like something I might actually try a bite of.  I had a fork ready for a recent butt cook, and had to abort strictly going by smell and visual.  I'm not that stupid.

What's even more concerning are the cats letting all this grease run amok into their fire.  Yeah, no thanks.
    Thanks for having my back on this, Brandon! Just like plenty of other things here some people like them and some people poo-poo. To each his own I still say, but I know this trick works for me and I do thank @Mickey for the idea! BTW I'm sure a bed of sand also would work.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    RRP said:

Focker said:

Thanks for having my back on this, Brandon! Just like plenty of other things here some people like them and some people poo-poo. To each his own I still say, but I know this trick works for me and I do thank @Mickey for the idea! BTW I'm sure a bed of sand also would work.
    Yes it would, a nice heat sink to run a little hotter too.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    So...the whole point of this salt exercise is to just keep the grease from sloshing around so it is not as likely to spill when getting the drip pan out of the grill???
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Thanks for starting a thread to let us know this works. Even though Mickey has already posted pics of it working I am glad you started a thread just to make sure we know it works. As always an amazing post Ron.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    So...the whole point of this salt exercise is to just keep the grease from sloshing around so it is not as likely to spill when getting the drip pan out of the grill???
    I agree not really sure the point. Just an air gap works fine
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I have also studied this exhaustively and have concluded that it makes your salt very greasy. B)

Make pork flavored salt for seasoning.  I'm going to be rich!!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I guess. Turned out I egged 9 butts this week for a neighborhood picnic on Sunday. I bought all on sale at $.89 a pound and soon discovered why those piggies were sold so cheaply - they were the fatest butt I have ever egged in spite of timing a pound or more off each butt. The meat was more than just "marbleized" 3 of the butts had hard snarled impossible fist size clumps. Yes they were FAT! So finding that @Mickey's solution worked for me to control the   the excessive pools and puddles of fat then I was happy. Why my posting of this p*ssed off a dude here is no surprise to me.