Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Ceramic

Options
Here are a couple shots of my CRACKED CERAMIC.   this is the lower piece (firebox?) of my XLBGE.

ANOTHER good reason and maybe the BEST to purchase from an authorized dealer.   

My guys are taking care of me.    I sent 'em some pics, I'm on file and they'll do all the interface with the Mother Ship.
i MIGHT have to drive out and pick up the part, or maybe it'll be direct shipped?

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I think @fishlessman has you beat. Firebox in easily ten pieces. 

But yeah. Get the warranty replacement while you can. But put it on a shelf and continue to use the 'broken' one until it's a pile of powder. 

Unless your dealer or distributor is one of one of those that requires you surrender the offending part
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    If your dealer is like mine.. it'll be awhile for your new part.

Keep rolling, it'll be good for a while.

I just had my ring crack.. not a huge deal at the moment.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • MO_Eggin
    Options
    I picked up my warranty replacement parts at the dealer, drop shipping was not an option.  They were nice enough to load them into my car :-)
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Mine came when they ordered their next shipment so there was no set timeframe.  That's fair enough for me and makes sense.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    WOW! Yours is clean looking! Did you do a burn off or do you not cook often?
    XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I did a burn off a couple weeks ago where I got the dome temp BACK AROUND to about 50c.   REAL hot.   

And before THAT I did several pizzas.   The side of my plate setter exposed to the firebox looks NEW.    

Maybe burgers 1x or 2x and I discovered the crack when I went to fire it up for some steaks.

But I always let it cool naturally and at its own rate.  
  • Begger
    Options
    Just called my dealer.    Business must be pretty good.   They'll forward my pics to BGE and have my part shipped soonest.   Good news; the dealer says they get 2x shippments per WEEK.  Wow!   When I called, the boss was out doing a setup / delivery.    Nice work if you can get it.
  • Begger
    Options
    Part arrive last week and I just installed TODAY.    Very heavy part and a real 'pinch hazard'   
    If anybody else changes the heavy parts of the XL, be CAREFUL