Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best pork butt yet

Options
Did two 7.5# butts yesterday, and by far my best ones yet (third or fourth time cooking).   Unfortunately with several couples over I didn't have time to get any other pics than the final pulled product.   Rubbed with Bad Byron's.  First two hours were in the 250 range.   After that stayed in 300-330 range.   Done in about 6.5hrs.   First time injecting with Chris Lilly recipe, and while it could have been coincidence, I am sold on that making a difference.   Pork was moist with amazing flavor, even on one of them that ended up being thinner in one portion resulting in a very, very charred bottom.   
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Good looking cook!  Got my 8.5 lb butt going right now. What's Chris's injection recipe?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    3/4 cup apple juice, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup white sugar, 2 TBS Worcestershire, 1/4 cup salt.  Only thing changed was salt as I used only 1 TBS.   This mix
    was enough for both butts.  
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Action_Hank
    Options
    3/4 cup apple juice, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup white sugar, 2 TBS Worcestershire, 1/4 cup salt.  Only thing changed was salt as I used only 1 TBS.   This mix
    Nice!  I haven't seen this exact recipe, but I do something really similar (Sailor Jerry instead of water).  Its become my go to pork injection.  Did you make sandies or tacos after you pulled it?
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • JacksDad
    Options

Looks great. I will have to try injecting my next butt...

(My inner 12 year old can't write that without laughing)

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• bhedges1987
    Options
    Nice pork.  Looks good.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Nice!  I haven't seen this exact recipe, but I do something really similar (Sailor Jerry instead of water).  Its become my go to pork injection.  Did you make sandies or tacos after you pulled it?
    What the H E double hockey sticks is Sailor Jerry?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    Sailor Jerry was an icon of the WW2 era tattoo artists---he has passed on but there is a spiced rum under his name now---and they try to keep his iconic tattoo legacy alive too-----I'm sure you have seen his work but didn't realize it.  Google him--interesting story
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • erblove
    Options
    Looks good...Oh and go Tigers!
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    Great job! Looks awesome.....
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2