Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woo Modification

Options
I had Michael from Michael's Custom Grates do some modifications to my XL Woo and make a hinged grate to fit it. Had him weld 3/8" bars to the bottom ring of the Woo and add handles. With the hinged 3/8" grate he made, I can use my half moon stone on the lower grate to start, then flip up the grate and transfer to the bottom to reverse sear. Michael is a super nice guy and can make anything!

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Good way to do reverse sear- i like it. But would need two so I could still use for my wok
    Greensboro, NC
  • Boombotty
    Options
    He said he could make a grate to fit the lower ring that was removable, but I wanted it solid. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Great modifications. Would be perfect for my XL. I rarely use the Woo and I think this would make it my go to accessory. 

I'm going to get him to make me a couple sear grates for my big cooker. His stuff always looks top notch. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    be careful with what and how you pick up the xl woo.  We've played with handles on the xl woo multiple times but always came to the same conclusion -  It can be real tipsy if the load is slightly off center or one forgets to keep the xl woo level. 

It does not have to be a heavy load for objects side out/off.  You get in a hurry and forget to keep the xl woo level.  Next thing ya know is that small grid is heading for the ground.  Just be careful, don't ask me how I know, but your feet are prime targets for anything falling.

We'll be making stainless grids in a couple weeks to replace our cast iron grids.  Waiting on the cnc router to get here for cutting our grid fixtures.   

tom  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Boombotty
    Boombotty Posts: 39
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yeah, Michael makes some real nice items. One of the reasons I wanted the bars welded to the bottom Woo ring is to make it all 1 piece. With the flip up grate, the only time I would have to lift the woo is when I am lighting the egg. I can put the half moon stone in through the flip up part as well. I'm going to get another half moon stone and not have to use the plate setter anymore. 3/8" stainless is also the way to go!
  • RocEGG
    Options
    wow that is slick. that would be a perfect setup for my xl woo ive had for many years. love it!
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE