Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Schumacher Homes

Options
Went to a lunch and learn today mainly to get a feel for things wanted and sizing of rooms, etc. 

I'll likely get a price from them to build something on our land just to see where they are and also see where our builder and get. Check number if you will. 

Anyone out here have any experience?  Read some good stories and some not good stories.  

Thought I'd ask my homies. 
------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• Slabotnick
    Slabotnick Posts: 215
    Options
    I have two friends who have had homes built by them and they are very pleased. They provide warranties and built your home in 120 days. All the designs are able to be customized too. I'm considering it for my next home. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I have a good friend who is a great general contractor in Lexington. He just did an addition to my house (Winston-Salem) and did a great job. Let me know if you want his info. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    I have a good friend who is a great general contractor in Lexington. He just did an addition to my house (Winston-Salem) and did a great job. Let me know if you want his info. 
    I'm fairly certain I've found my builder, I was seeing what Shumacher does and their pricing. 

If you want to shoot me the guys number. I'd like to send the plan I have to see what he'll do. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I know nothing about Schumacher Homes but as a reformed Realtor I can tell you that quality builders do not do "lunch & learns".

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    I know nothing about Schumacher Homes but as a reformed Realtor I can tell you that quality builders do not do "lunch & learns".

This Matt.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I looked at them when I built in SC. I wasn't pleased. I was looking in the attic of one of their homes and saw light pouring in through the walls in about a half dozen places. The Schumacher rep tried to make up some BS story. I could tell that they were annoyed that I was inspecting their quality more than most folks do. After seeing the light, (pun intended), I walked out on them. I found a local custom builder that built about 20 houses a year and had a great experience. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    It freaking comical that this thread is sunk but a faux Lump thread thrives. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Next time title your thread, " Lighting the Egg, How I Do It". 
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Yeah can't imagine why a lump article on a Big Green Egg Forum would be more popular than a regional home builder discussion. 
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Yeah can't imagine why a lump article on a Big Green Egg Forum would be more popular than a regional home builder discussion. 
    Apparently you didn't open the Lump thread sir. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Matt, I can't speak for this company, but I've visited many home builder sites. I would recommend a contractor. If you don't really upgrade what these guys offer, you're gonna end up with really low end fixtures and flooring. I've seen the exact same base grade carpet (really low end) in 100k houses and 800k houses in the same trip to Charlotte. 
  • The_Canuck
    Options
    I will concur with others on this thread.  To me the bigger name companies are trying to crank out the house as quickly as possible, so that they can move on to the next project.  Generally speaking the quality of materials used are usually of a lower quality.  Thats not to say that better materials can't be used by them, or that there aren't bigger name companies that take the time to make sure the house is perfect.  I like the idea of having a contractor build a home.  To me, there is more of a personal element to the build, as well as to the client.  You are also supporting someone that might be more local and of a small business calibre.  Granted I will put the disclaimer out there, that I am a bit biased as I do residential architecture as my profession.  So I am used to, and more inclined to use a contractor on any project that I am designing.
    Large BGE - Thanks Knob Creek

Louisville, KY