Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to look for? Used large big Green egg

Options
I used to own a medium bge, but had to sell  it because of apt rules. Now I'm where I can use a grill and have found a used large bge to purchase. 

Question is, what should I look out for? 

It comes with a variety of accessories, most of the normal stuff like nest and side mates. 

It's only 1 year old and been used roughly 50 times, all just for grilling (no smoking). No cracks in the ceramic. Never covered however. 

What else should I be looking for? Anything specific? 

Thanks in advance for the help!

MBGE, LBGE since 2009.  Georgia Born, Nashville Made.
ig: dewsouthbbq

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    How much?

Can you afford to replace a cracked base or dome? 

If the answer is yes, get off the internet and go buy it. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• georgia boy
    Options
    How much does it cost to replace a cracked base or dome? How can I tell if it is cracked? 

I'm asking since I've never bought a used one and not sure what to look for. 

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    @georgia boy not trying to be a smart a**, but you can tell it is cracked if you look at it and see a crack. There will be a ton of people that will say not to buy a used Egg, as there is no warranty, but if you get it at a good price and baby it, it will be fine. Just do a thorough inspection before you put the money down. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Half the cost of new is the rule for a good buy. If you're from Georgia, new is $800 roughly with a nest, so $400 is a good buy. But you have to take into consideration the extras that come with it.  Like the others said, you'll see the cracks, they're not hard to spot. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I would look for a brand new egg.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    As Jeremiah said i would check your local dealer for cost of a new one and i wouldn't pay more than half

I bought mine when i lived in Lubbock Tx and all said and done it was about $1000 so i wouldnt go more than 400 or 500
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • georgia boy
    Options
    Decided to buy it, thanks for all of the suggestions and input. Looking forward to grilling on this sucker! 

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Looks like a great package - you even got some lump!  Fire that baby up and don't forget to share photos. Welcome to the addiction. 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein