Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Joetisserie Owners...what's the verdict?

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
Are you still loving it? How is it holding up? What accessories did you get?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• micheggin
    Options
    only used it a half dozen times but love it.  not perfect fit/design but good enough.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    There are a few threads here discussing the Joetisserie. The search function is your friend.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Funny you should ask. Bought one months ago, used it twice and it is now gathering dust in the garage. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Funny you should ask. Bought one months ago, used it twice and it is now gathering dust in the garage. 
    $250 for a paperweight? What's the problem? I use my $30 MacGyver model fairly often. On my weber, but still...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    $250 for a paperweight? What's the problem? I use my $30 MacGyver model fairly often. On my weber, but still...
    Yeah, maybe I'll take it out tomorrow and use it.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    Are you still loving it? How is it holding up? What accessories did you get?

I have used mine several times.   Mostly whole chickens.  I did one pork loin, and some ribs.  All of the cooks have turned out fantastic.  I think the self basting effect adds to the cook.  Very easy to set up and no problems so far.   I did buy a basket and have used it a couple of times for thighs and drumsticks.  Also, the prongs and rod have been very easy to clean.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I love mine and use it often.  It gives you very even cooking and you can pretty much "set it and forget it" without the need to flip or turn whatever you are cooking.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • s_austin_egger
    Options
    I use mine all the time.  Love it 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Used mine 3 times.... It sure is sitting around a lot. Need to try a few more times or else it may go on Craigslist. 

It it works and does what it says it's more the process and me being lazy.
    Seattle, WA
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Love, love, love mine, but it's been too hot to grill any dang thing here lately. We've been in the upper 90's for the better part of 2 months. I'm old and I ain't doin that crap. Steaks on deck for tonight if my egg isn't molded. Fingers crossed. If it is molded, clean burn first. The Joetisserie is easy to use and gives great results. Is it for everyone? No, but it works for me. If you're not a rotisserie fan, then pass. If you are, nothing better than the combination of a rotisserie and lump charcoal. Just my opinion.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Used mine 3 times.... It sure is sitting around a lot. Need to try a few more times or else it may go on Craigslist. 

You must be really, really lazy then. :)

I find it a lot easier to just shove a chicken on a stick and tell it to spin than to have to spatchcock, monitor, and flip, etc.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JamesM
    JamesM Posts: 13
    Options
    I love mine. Use it for chickens, pork loin and beef. SWMBO thinks it's one of the best things I've bought for the egg
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    I love mine.  Hands down the best investment I made after the egg.  Use it for chicken, cornish hens, wings, steaks, ribs, roasts, lamb, and am now roasting hatch green chiles in the basket.  Great accessory.
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• SkinnyV
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SkinnyV said:

You must be really, really lazy then. :)

I find it a lot easier to just shove a chicken on a stick and tell it to spin than to have to spatchcock, monitor, and flip, etc.
    Lazy cook yes guilty ( I do run 4 miles 4 times a week and workout though ;) ). I plan on breaking it out strong points made here.

Seattle, WA
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Have used my "Cheapasserie®" 3x times. Best darn whole chickens I've ever tasted. Spatch won't be on menu again.. Haven't yet tried other proteins but will. No offense to those who have or want to buy the Joetisserie, it's cool, but for me, I'm glad I made a DIY version (and it was fun). Waiting on the RTIC version to come out  =)

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I dunno, I think spatched birds are every bit as good as rotisserie'd chicken. And I find it less work to cut out the backbone and throw it on the grill than to deal with setting up my rotisserie and then scrub the roasted chicken crud off the forks and spit afterward. I like the rotisserie, but it's more work than a spatch where there is no setup and all I have to clean is a knife. I've tried only chicken and game hens on the spinner. Not sure I will bother with anything else.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Maybe it isn't so hard to set up....took a few minutes we are up and spinning , a loin I pulled out of the freezer.

Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Damn son.... We eatin good tonight. Anyone leave theirs out overnight in the egg? I may use again in next day or 2.

Seattle, WA
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    LOVE Chicken cooked on it. Whole. Quarters. Breasts. Thighs. Legs. With or without skin. Wife is constantly talking it up. 
    Also some of the best FLAVORed Prime Rib crust I've had - I just can't get that uniform pink perfection all the way to the edge I get with Sous Vide or Reverse sear. 
    Still experimenting. Still love it.
    SS flat basket is the only accessory at this point.
    South SLO County
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Sliced? Ok since you asked haha 

Seattle, WA
  • jdsmithii
    Options
    If someone has one they don't use much, message me instead of putting it on craigslist.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Looking good Skinny .. looking REAL good.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia