Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre-rub: mustard, olive oil, nothing....

Options
Still a newbie, and never did "real" BBQ L&S before the egg...  Basic question for the experts - when you're using a rub do you use something pre-rub to help the rub adhere?  I see comments on the board about both mustard and olive oil but the recipes I've tried don't recommend anything.  Your comments appreciated and thanks for all of the great posts - this forum is an invaluable tool for me as I learn from your experiences and get more adventurous.
Doug
Wayne, PA
LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Rub sticks fine without anything. Mustard just makes a gooey mess. Save it for your hot dogs. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Mustard is common for butts, and many use it on ribs as well. 

Oil works, but flavorless. Why add something that doesn't contribute

i rub butts the night before with a rub that has some sugar in it. Sugar sucks more water from meat than salt does. So the next morning, i have rub that is damp. I add a bit more,  and it sticks well

Any liquid in the bottom of the bowl goes into a saucepan for making bbq suce
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    I use mustard, and it does not make "a gooey mess". Is it necessary ? Probably not , but have always done it and had fantastic results.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I use peanut oil. I want to get my flavor from the rubs so I just need something to make the rub stick. I apply rub to butts heavily several hours before I put them on and the rub is completely liquified by then.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    I have had good success with mustard but is it a requirement-nope.  I use worcestershire as a binder for rub on beef ribs.  The much greater flavor contributor is the rub you use.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I use mustard, but I don't think it adds anything.  It's just fun!
    NOLA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I sometimes use oil for ribs because it seems to make them a bit more tender. I suppose its because the oil traps some moisture, sort of like a foil wrap, but not so complete.

If I have it on hand, I use a kind of oriental peanut oil that tastes and smells as if the peanuts were roasted before the oil was pressed. Also, sometimes mixed w. some toasted sesame seed oil.

I suspect that some of the mustard tradition is because along w. the rub ingredients, it helps sterilize the surface of the meat.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    If I have room in the fridge I'll apply rub to bare meat and set overnight. If no room in the fridge I just apply rub a couple of hours before going into the furnace.

Have never used oil or mustard or whatever. Doubt that I ever will.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I use mustard and I learned it when I took a cooking class for brisket and pork butts.  Plain yellow mustard isn't really going to change the flavor much.  It's used a binder for the rub and helps with making a good bark on the meat I was told and have have found when using it.  I use it on brisket, pork butt and ribs.

Olive oil is neutral and doesn't add any flavor and I have used it when I cook a whole beef tenderloin to help bind the rub or even on my steak.  Another thing to use when grilling direct and doesn't flame up is grape seed oil.  It also helps keep the food from sticking to the grill.  I guess a good test would be to do one pork butt with mustard and one without to see if it makes a big difference.  I have been doing it since I started and it comes out great every time so why mess with a good thing if it works.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm with Darby. Rub the night before and wrap in cling wrap. Hit the now-wet surface with more rub in the morning.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Long ago I read that there is no point in letting rub sit for hours on something that is going to cook for hours anyway.  There is plenty of time to absorb that flavor on the grill.   So, I usually rub and go!  Less effort, results are great.

That said, I like the suggestion to rub and wrap, for the purpose of making a wet rubby goo that will hold more rub.  I may try that some time, but usually don't plan that far ahead.

I have to tell you, I don't think any of it makes that much difference when you're doing a low and slow.  Some guys here use nothing but S&P.  Always wanted to try that, but never want to mess with what works to experiment...

Do you guys that use only S&P on your pork and brisket still get a nice bark?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    I absolutely hate the taste of mustard, but use it as the binder. Have never been able to taste it. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    For me the key to a great bark is the pepper.  I go heavy on the pepper compared to the salt and add paprika and garlic.  Never measure just use the taste test.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm surprised there aren't more mustard votes, here, because I feel like I see people talking about doing that all the time on this forum.  I never use mustard, don't feel like I have any trouble getting plenty of rub to stick, and get a great bark without it.  I think it's just an unnecessary extra step.

I disagree about not putting it on the night before, and agree with @Darby_Crenshaw.  I think putting it on the night before makes it a kind of "dry brine" which conditions the meat, and gives more of an opportunity to get the flavor soaking into the meat.  The book Smoke & Spice started me off doing what Darby recommends, putting rub on the night before, then putting more on the next day before putting it on to smoke.  I think it works well.
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I use mustard on almost everything that gets a rub or spice blend, even the prime rib Christmas roast. The mustard serves as a thick paste that holds the rub in place.  Works very well, makes an excellent crust. No real flavor other than bringing out the flavor of your meat into the crust. So easy and simple, I really don't understand the "unnecessary extra step" comment. I can definitely tell from the result when mustard  is used and when it is not. My family and I like the result when I use the mustard crust technique. adds body the density to the crust. 
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Thank you all - great comments.  Like most things on the Egg (and in life) there are clearly multiple paths to a good outcome!  I'll have fun experimenting.
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I use mustard but not every time.  Sometimes on a butt I use peach preserves.  I think both allow more rub to adhere to the meat thus creating more bark.  Also rub 24hrs in advance if I plan well enough (which isn't as often as it should be).

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    da87 said:
    ... I'll have fun experimenting.
    That's the spirit!

Having fun while finding what works best for your tastes/palate.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• da87
    Options
    It's all an experiment for me at this point.  My worst outcome on the egg so far was needing to order pizza for dinner at 8:30PM and serving pulled pork omelets the next morning.  Everyone liked the omelets so much we just rolled into pulled pork sandwiches for lunch that day!  Since that night I try to plan to complete the butt at least 2 hours ahead and FTC until needed.  Its all fun and a learning experience!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Rub means rub.....in other words....rub it into the meat. I don't use mustard or oil etc. on my butts. I do with some other cooks....but don't find it necessary with pork. Just me.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    +1 for simply dry rubbing the day prior and fridging it til the cooktime.  It's already messy enough as it is without more goop...  And I put 'em on cold, out of the fridge - love that smoke ring!

i also look to add a bit more brown sugar to the rub for pork shoulders - not for the sweetness, but for that goodness which is the BARK!  My BIL and FIL were practically fighting all weekend long for the largest bark nuggets they could find in the 19#'s of pulled pork I did.
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    My preference is to use mustard prior to adding rub on my butts. The day before I trim fat cap off and apply mustard and then rub. I place on baking sheet and cover with foil. I used to wrap with Saran Wrap and it was a mess to unwrap the next morning. I get twice the bark and let dripping fat while cooking. They are moist and folks as well fight over the bark....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • da87
    Options
    Thanks again for all of the great input!  Picked up a boneless Berkshire shoulder and for experiment 1 going with Darby's double rub approach, no mustard or oil.  Using Memphis dust with both white and brown sugar. Will unwrap and rub again onto the wet surface before it goes on the egg in the morning. Here's rub 1 before wrapping. 

Doug
    Wayne, PA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Mustard is common for butts, and many use it on ribs as well. 

Oil works, but flavorless. Why add something that doesn't contribute

i rub butts the night before with a rub that has some sugar in it. Sugar sucks more water from meat than salt does. So the next morning, i have rub that is damp. I add a bit more,  and it sticks well

Any liquid in the bottom of the bowl goes into a saucepan for making bbq suce
    Sounds like a lot of work.  Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.
    Options

Add me to team @Darby_Crenshaw. Dry rub a day ahead of time and add more before throwing on the smoker.

One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • da87
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw your approach worked like magic!  Here it is, 2nd rub freshly applied and just on!  Trying a little liquid in the drip pan so the early fat doesn't smoke

Doug
    Wayne, PA

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2016
    Options
     No worries re that fat in the pan. Water doesn't boil in a drip pan, so it never sees temps high enough to burn. 

Those black bits and sugary foam (if you mop sugary glaze on ribs) aren't ever actually going to burn with bitter smoke. 

They merely carbonize just like the black bark you get on bbq. No one imagines that the black bark smokednor created off flavors, but they see the same thing in a pan below it and assume the worst

fat won't smoke anyway, not til you are past it's smoke point. And that ain't happenin at bbq temps (even with the 'radiant heat from below' that is often cited)

One less thing to worry about. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    Been using the mustard and rub the night before for ribs and now butt and the bark on the butt was just amazing.

--
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Am I the only one the uses mayonnaise?  Dukes brand of course.  I think it makes for better bark. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    My two cents.......
     I use seasonings for hotter cooks , but i only rub low and slows . After the meat is trimmed and patted dry , I coat the whole thing with rub and actually rub it in. Then I spray with a light coat of olive oil and apply more rub , while patting it down . when the rub is staying dry as I am putting it on I stop, and wrap it in plastic wrap overnight . I put it in the egg wet straight out of the fridge . Been going bare naked lately , but I am going back to foiling as I have found out that my family just doesn't appreciate the bark like some of us do. :-)
    More meat please !! :-)