Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Tale of Two Chickens Spinning

2»

Comments

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Google "Jack Daniels Jotisserie butt" and watch the video on YouTube. The glaze looks insane!
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    SkinnyV said:
    For the folks who have used drip pans, my chicken on the grate cooked up and I saw that this happend. The temp never went above 350 but this pan is toast, the burning coals touching it did this. 
    So use a pan or not?

Is that a plastic bowl/pan????

The air temp in the dome is significantly different than the temp you will find down in the bowels of the egg.

If you want to put a drip pan under a chicken here's what I use and suggest: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-9-Inch-Stainless-Steel-Cake/dp/B000F741VM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456939432&sr=8-1&keywords=stainless+cake+pan

Those pans are also good for sliding under your egg (assuming it is not sitting directly on the surface) when scraping out the ash.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    edited March 2016
    @smokeyw, no Boston butts yet, but it is on my to-do list. The first couple of times I used it for chicken, we had very little left over, so decided two chickens would be better than one. Didn't take any more time and the same results as doing just one, so why not?
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dredger
    @Eggaroo, thanks for the info on the video. Impressive looking results.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Dredger said:
    @smokeyw, no Boston butts yet, but it is on my to-do list. The first couple of times I used it for chicken, we had very little left over, so decided two chickens would be better than one. Didn't take any more time and the same results as doing just one, so why not?

The first time you posted about this I wondered if 2 chickens would go on the spit. That is a big selling point for me. I always cook extra for later. I did look at the video of the Jack Daniels pork butt. I don't even see why you couldn't get a brisket on it. I think the sky is the limit. Thanks for posting about this new accessory!
  • Slabotnick
    Slabotnick Posts: 215
    smokeyw said:
    Okay, 2 chickens on it. I'm sold! Has anyone done a 8-10 pound pork butt with it yet? Looks to me like it would work but you would have to go low and slow.
    Wouldn't a porkbutt end up falling off the roitisserie? If it's possible I'm sure it would be good. 
  • Dredger
    You're welcome @smokeyw. That video was great, and I agree about the brisket. I think most of us are just getting our feet wet experimenting with this cooking method on the egg and I hope others post their cooks and methods too. Rotisserie cooking has been around for a very long time. We just need to figure out the various ways we can use it.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    I always enjoyed rotisserie on the gasser, this will be my next purchase for the egg. When they come out with the xl version. 
  • Dredger
    Wouldn't a porkbutt end up falling off the roitisserie?

@Slabotnick, not sure. In the video that @Eggaroo posted about, the gentleman cooked it to slicing stage. It was boneless and he tied it pretty good. I would love to know if someone has done a bone in butt yet. I have seen videos of someone doing a butt in a tumbler cage, so that might be an option.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dredger
    @Eggscuses, did you do a bone-in Boston butt on your rotisserie? If so, how did it hold together for you?
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Eggscuses
    edited March 2016
    No haven't done that .   YET    Chickens, 14lb turkey stuffed, that was phenomenal, boneless lamb leg was also excellent. Haven't used the rotisserie since I bought the egg 2 years ago. 
    Might have to get my butt  in gear and start cooking with it again.
    I did do a porchetta on it but that was only to slicing temp
  • Dredger
    Thanks for the feedback @Eggscuses. I appreciate it.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Eggscuses
    You're welcome. Thank you for posting all those delicious looking cooks.
  • Slabotnick
    Slabotnick Posts: 215
    edited August 2016
    @Dredger just ordered my joetisserie. Will be here Monday!!!
  • Dredger
    Congratulations @Slabotnick, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Chickens are stellar and an easy cook for the first spin.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830

next time, might try the breast ends toward the outside.  should get a better cook, less heat riding over the easy to dry out breast.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Dredger
    Thanks, @tjv. I'll give that a try next time, although, I've never had any of them dry out. That's what I love about rotisserie cooking. It is so easy. That being said, we'll be giving your adjustable rig a serious workout since wing season is upon us. Wings and football are a match made in heaven. Thanks, Tom, for helping make the egg so versatile.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC