Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Making a Comeback - Jucy Lucy's - No Membership Restaurant Depot

Options
My small has sat idle for months and months... and months. I bet closer to a year. The main reason was mobility. I don't grill on the deck so I roll my eggs in/out of the garage. I was fortunate to win my Fantasy Football league 4 years ago and used the winnings towards a small egg. It wasn't enough for the small egg with a nest but covered majority of the egg. So I went home nestless. For a while the small found a home in a cart that I had planned to turn into a home for my large egg but decided against it. The cart ended up being too big and hard to maneuver around when vehicles are parked in the garage. So my large stayed in the nest and the small took its spot in the cart. The small saw limited action since the cart was parked in front of my wifes vehicle in the garage. It wasn't worth the hassle of tracking down my wife's keys and moving her car when I can roll the large out to the driveway without any issues. My miter saw eventually kicked out the small egg from the cart. The small egg found a spot on the old kitchen island in the garage. This spot pretty much put the small egg to sleep. Anytime I wanted to use the small egg I would need to pick it up and set it on something in the driveway. This only happened a few times. Why use the small when I can roll the large out to the driveway? Even the mini saw more use during this time. Call me cheap for not paying the $130+ for a nest. I've bought 4-5 nests off Craigslist in the past and never spent more than $40. I couldn't get myself to spend $130+ for something that's essentially less material and 3x the price of what I paid for the other nests. So I figured I'd just buy a small nest on Craigslist. I waited and waited... and waited for a small nest to pop up on Craigslist. Nothing. Nada. Should have known. Small eggs are rare around here. My local Ace stopped selling the small because the one they had sat on the showroom floor for 3 years. No wonder I wasn't having any luck. After watching Craigslist for 6-8 months I kind of gave up. Before completely throwing in the towel and spending $130 for a nest I listed a "wanted" ad on Craigslist. Must have been the third week after listing the ad I get an email from a guy saying that he might have a small nest available. After an email or two he and I start putting the pieces together that we may not be so much of strangers. Next thing I know I'm talking to @minnemoh from the forum. Small world. So anyways, my small found a new home and wanted to give minnemoh a shout out for helping me find my nest. Good to be back in the small egg saddle. The small almost feels like a new egg again. It's been forever. I even had a new KAB for it that I purchased many moons ago.

Since the small was begging for attention I needed to find something to feed it. I've heard on a couple different occasions that the Restaurant Depot in Brooklyn Center, MN was membership free. It has something to do with the city not allowing membership stores within its city limits. My wife and I walked right in. Sweet! It's been 3 years or so since I've been in one. Man I love that place. I'm glad I live far enough away that it's not a weekly occurrence. My wife was excited to find a big chunk of prosciutto there. Now I really need to tune up those slicers I picked up last weekend.

My wife and her mom love all the National Lampoon's Vacation movies so we invited her mom over to watch the newest Vacation. She's a hamburger person so we decided that Jucy Lucy's were in order. Took a couple pictures of the small back in action. The Jucy Lucy itself had lettuce, tomato, bacon, pickles, jalapeños, sautéed onions/green peppers, and Sweet Baby Rays Sweet Chili bbq sauce. (Love that stuff.) No sides needed. Full stomach and the Vacation movie was much better than anticipated. Good times

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Looks way good. Don't think my small has been used in over two years actually. Time to fire it up again! Thanks for the inspiration. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Killer food - keep that small going. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Nice post V.  Small egghead world.
    Juicy looks great man.
    Have fun putting the small back in the rotation.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Juicies look great!  Glad you're able to get your S back in the game.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Excellent write up, glad to hear this egg is back in action. The food looks great. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My small egg is my most used cooker by far. Great size. Funny how small it a world it really is!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Great job. I love the small. Keep it cooking.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bradleya123
    Options
    Woozier!!  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man those are some good looking Lucys. Good to see the small back in action.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @WeberWho.. Great story and burger.  Have fun with your small.
    Phoenix 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Egg looks great for being out of action and the food even better. How is somebody supposed to get their mouth around that thing (-: I'll save someone the trouble, that's what she said.

Anyway, I have been wanting to check out the Depot up there, but it's a little out of the way and I so rarely find myself in the northwest metro. I wish the one in St. Paul didn't require all the red tape.

Also, how is the Laredo lump?
    Stillwater, MN
  • Budaman5000
    Options
    Ever since I got my small a few weeks ago I can't stop cooking on it. My BGE large is getting salty had to put cover on it... Nice to see there is another fellow Minnesotan on this forum....love the Hy-vee's that are popping up...
  • Legally Blind Egghead
    Options

Those Juicy Lucy's look fantastic!

Did I hear you say Fantasy Football?

Are  there any available Egghead FF Leagues here?

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Those jucy lucys look so dang good!  I am ashamed because I'm also guilty of SEND (Small Egg Neglect Disorder).  I gotta fix that!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Nice cook! I like that handle. Mine is getting a little worse for the wear so I'm about to have to get creative on a new one. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Looks way good. Don't think my small has been used in over two years actually. Time to fire it up again! Thanks for the inspiration. 
    Thanks! @cookingdude555 It was fun firing up the small. I believe it will become the workhorse of the bunch now that it's portable. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Killer food - keep that small going. 
    Thanks! @SciAggie Yes sir!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Focker said:
    Nice post V.  Small egghead world.
    Juicy looks great man.
    Have fun putting the small back in the rotation.
    Thanks! @Focker Always nice to put a face to members

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited August 2016
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Juicies look great!  Glad you're able to get your S back in the game.
    Thank you! @bgebrent Definitely feels good to be back in the small game.

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Excellent write up, glad to hear this egg is back in action. The food looks great. 
    Thanks for the kind words! @chuckytheegghead

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    My small egg is my most used cooker by far. Great size. Funny how small it a world it really is!
    @Thatgrimguy Definitely can see the small becoming the workhorse of the bunch

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Great job. I love the small. Keep it cooking.
    Thank you! @shtgunal3 The small is a great size. The mini is just too "mini" for most cooks. My small is probably my favorite egg to use 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Woozier!!  
    Haha thanks! @bradleya123

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Man those are some good looking Lucys. Good to see the small back in action.

Thank you good sir! @SmokeyPitt

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    blasting said:
    @WeberWho.. Great story and burger.  Have fun with your small.
    @blasting Thanks! I'm surprised anyone bothers to read my posts. Most of the time I just rattle on about nothing. I could have probably wrote that post in two or three sentences but was having fun with the small

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Egg looks great for being out of action and the food even better. How is somebody supposed to get their mouth around that thing (-: I'll save someone the trouble, that's what she said.

Anyway, I have been wanting to check out the Depot up there, but it's a little out of the way and I so rarely find myself in the northwest metro. I wish the one in St. Paul didn't require all the red tape.

Also, how is the Laredo lump?
    I laughed out loud reading your response by saving someone else the trouble. I'm about 30 minutes south from Brooklyn Center so it's not exactly down the road for me either. Which is a good thing as I'd spend too much time there.
    I can get to Sam's Club within 5 minutes from my house. It's definitely worth checking out if in the area though. The meat section is awesome for selection what you can't find a Sam's Club or Costco. I grabbed the Laredo lump when I was checking out in line. I didn't have any extra time to do any research on the lump as they were closing the store. I only had about 35 minutes in the store. I could have spent an hour plus looking around the store but didn't want to be "that guy" who keeps shopping when a store is trying to close. The reviews on the lump don't sound too promising but won't be heart broken as it's only $10 for 20lbs.

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Ever since I got my small a few weeks ago I can't stop cooking on it. My BGE large is getting salty had to put cover on it... Nice to see there is another fellow Minnesotan on this forum....love the Hy-vee's that are popping up...
    @Budaman5000 Definitely fun revisiting the small egg. I found out a few months ago that are city is getting a Hy-vee. I'm a 3 minute walk from Cub Foods but I'd be interested in checking out something different. Never been too impressed with the meat section of Cub. Definitely excited for Hy-vee. I loved it when they opened up an Aldi in town. The very next day after Aldi opened Cub dropped something like 10,000 prices to compete. Hy-vee will also help keep Cub a little more reasonable in price. The only other competition was Walmart in town. That's not saying much

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

Those Juicy Lucy's look fantastic!

Did I hear you say Fantasy Football?

Are  there any available Egghead FF Leagues here?

@Legally Blind Egghead Thank you! The last couple years I think someone here on the forum has put FF together. I'm guessing you'll see something posted soon about it

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Those jucy lucys look so dang good!  I am ashamed because I'm also guilty of SEND (Small Egg Neglect Disorder).  I gotta fix that!
    @Fred19Flintstone Thanks! I'm starting a movement. Small eggs matter! =);)

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Nice cook! I like that handle. Mine is getting a little worse for the wear so I'm about to have to get creative on a new one. 
    @Killit_and_Grillit Thanks! The handle was made from an egger friend. Much better feel to it than a square handle when opening/closing the lid. 

Minnesota