Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT....Yeti gasket breakdown

Options
Anyone notice that the gasket (is that even the right term) starts to break down fairly quickly?  I have the 30oz and the 20oz and all are exhibiting the same signs of deteriation.  Not the greatest of pics, but the black specks are pieces of the gasket.

Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Odd. I have a couple of these cups, am a heavy user ... never had this problem. New lid is $5 dollars - not sure it's worth going thru the hassle of a warranty, but Yeti will warranty the lid, they warrantied mine, took a month.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Are you putting them in the dishwasher?
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    No problem (heavy user as well), but then again I only drink water & beer out of mine.  No hot liquids or anything terribly acidic.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Obviously you need to stop drinking that PBR.  I always suspected there was a little gasoline in it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    I use all three of mine daily and for over a year. I have no signs of that but they never see the inside of the dish washer. Hand wash only. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Looks to me like you got some funk growing in that thing.  Isn't the gasket almost like a squared off o ring?  If so I would be pulling that apart and giving it a good scrubbing.  (Disclaimer I don't own one I am a hydroflask guy). 
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    Those things are like the factory BGE gaskets.  Does anyone make a third party nomex gasket for Yeti?
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Ask Ron, he can probably get a line on one
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    It depends on a lot of factors (washing in dishwasher, exposure to heat, break down from elements, etc. I have had some go out in a few months and others that look brand new after a year of use. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    I'd message @RRP about getting a Rutland gasket, oh wait...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    nth78 said:
    I'd message @RRP about getting a Rutland gasket, oh wait...
    LOL - hasn't someone told you that I expanded my product offering in case this YETI gasket doesn't take wings and fly?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.