Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looftlighter took a crap

My looftlighter is 18 months old with about 300 cooks/fire starts and it died last night, the night before when I was just getting done starting my lump it had what sound like a power surge and the blower started racing and since I already had my fire going I just let it cool down like normal and put it away and when I went to use it last night I pushed the button down and it raced again for 15 seconds then just died. For 80.00 dollars I guess I thought it should last longer than a year and a half. Back to my 10 dollar electric starter.
Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Mine is going on 24 months although I only paid $40 at a Williams Sonoma close out. I should feel lucky...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Harbor Freight--20.00 weedburner--excellent for eggs and nosy neighbors 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have always understood that Looftlighters lasted about an hour and a half longer than their 2 year warranty. Congratulations!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    I have always understood that Looftlighters lasted about an hour and a half longer than their 2 year warranty. Congratulations!
    Speaking of that, if you've only had your Looftlighter for 18 months...it should still be under warranty.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Speaking of that, if you've only had your Looftlighter for 18 months...it should still be under warranty.

I can't find any of the paper work/receipt, my bad!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited July 2016
    I'd been using starter cubes for all the years I've had my Eggs, just recently tried a MAPP torch, and even though I do NOT like the showers of sparks that sometimes blow around (the first time I wore my normal glasses, but ever since I've worn safety glasses instead), I have to admit it's about as easy and very much faster.  People here say that propane will do just as well and is cheaper, so whenever this tank of MAP gas runs out, I'm going to try propane.  I think I'm a convert.  It's pretty easy and very fast.  My guess is that it works exactly the same way the Looftlighter works, only hotter and faster.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Mine is still doing fine. It beats the heck out of my old electric loop lighter. 
  • Carolina Q

Contact Looftlighter. Or the seller. Worth a shot. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grillmagic

I sent looftlighter A email this morning and no response yet and when I contacted Williams & Sonoma they told me I would need my  receipt. I have bought a lot of gadgets from them over the years, my family has bought every type of seasoning, brine, pepper racks, pizza stones and cookbooks you can imagine from there.
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    I sent looftlighter A email this morning and no response yet and when I contacted Williams & Sonoma they told me I would need my  receipt. I have bought a lot of gadgets from them over the years, my family has bought every type of seasoning, brine, pepper racks, pizza stones and cookbooks you can imagine from there.
    You're gonna need proof of when you purchased the Looftlighter.  
    I would think that WS would have a record of when you purchased it,  Did you order from WS on-line?  If so, check your "Account", you might find a record of when purchased.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Buy a weed burner as @Jstroke states or a small MAPP torch as @Theophan states and never look back. I have both. I started out with the weed burner and then got the MAPP for use on the small and mini. I haven't used the weed burner since I got the MAPP. I use propane in the MAPP torch because I have a surplus of the propane canisters.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Grillmagic
    Tony_T said:
    You're gonna need proof of when you purchased the Looftlighter.  
    I would think that WS would have a record of when you purchased it,  Did you order from WS on-line?  If so, check your "Account", you might find a record of when purchased.
    I bought it direct from my local W & S and paid cash, lesson learned. I am waiting to hopefully hear from Looftlighter, I will not buy another if they don't offer to fix it and as for W & S they will be the last place I shop. I realize it is my fault for not keeping the receipt however I am big on customer service.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I got a feeling my $47 jug of Everclear is going to last about as long as a Looflighter, but requires no electricity and if hard pressed for a "hitter" I can take a nip! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    What about a cheap heatgun?  Should work just as well.  

Another little known fact about heatguns, you will extend the life of the hearing element by running the fan/no heat until it cools down. 
  • Carolina Q

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    edited July 2016
    I'm on close to 4 years with mine, heavy use and no issues!  I would buy another if this one ever gives it up.  I love it. 
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    That's a lot of use in 18 months. 
  • RRP
    I know I know
    buying the Everclear at a liquor store meant I could not return my mistaken purchase. All I can do now is burn the evidence! 
  • Carolina Q
    Make PJ!!! :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grillmagic
    I cook year round to the tune of a couple hundred cooks a year, I use the egg a couple times s day on the weekends in the summer I just don't post everything. Here is tonight's Enchaladas!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Get a Wagner heat gun from Home Depot for $22 it's pretty much the same thing as a looflighter.My last heat gun lasted like 10 years until I forgot about it while lighting a chimney and melted it. 
  • RRP
    I cook year round to the tune of a couple hundred cooks a year, I use the egg a couple times s day on the weekends in the summer I just don't post everything. Here is tonight's Enchaladas!
    THAT is one cool cook, Chuck! Care to share your recipe? 
  • Grillmagic
    Monty77 said:
    I'm on close to 4 years with mine, heavy use and no issues!  I would buy another if this one ever gives it up.  I love it. 
    Thanks for your reply and up until it took a Sh-t I was in your camp about the product. It's not about the money it about the service, we have spent at least 1500.00 at W & S over the last couple years and always paid FULL PRICE so when the gal at W & S told me there was nothing she could do I thought well there is something I could do and will. Just my choice I guess.
  • Grillmagic
    RRP said:
    Pretty simple Ron, 1/3 small minced oinion  sautéed and 1 pound 80/20 Chuck browned then Tones Taco Seasoning, 6 flour shells loaded with 1/6 filling plus shredded mild cheddar assembled with the addition of one small can of red ol-elpaso Enchilada sauce covered with more cheese and baked indirect at 400 for 20 minutes.
  • RRP
    RRP said:
    Pretty simple Ron, 1/3 small minced oinion  sautéed and 1 pound 80/20 Chuck browned then Tones Taco Seasoning, 6 flour shells loaded with 1/6 filling plus shredded mild cheddar assembled with the addition of one small can of red ol-elpaso Enchilada sauce covered with more cheese and baked indirect at 400 for 20 minutes.
    Thanks, Chuck! 
  • Grillmagic

I needed to share this, looftlighter got back with me and today I received a brand new looftlighter from there free of charge, I did not have a receipt and they sent me a new one anyway. Very classy in my opinion! Great way to treat a customer! Kudos Looftlighter!
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290

I needed to share this, looftlighter got back with me and today I received a brand new looftlighter from there free of charge, I did not have a receipt and they sent me a new one anyway. Very classy in my opinion! Great way to treat a customer! Kudos Looftlighter!
    Makes me even happier to have bought one even after reading the original post. Thanks for the update. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Theophan said:
    I'd been using starter cubes for all the years I've had my Eggs, just recently tried a MAPP torch, and even though I do NOT like the showers of sparks that sometimes blow around (the first time I wore my normal glasses, but ever since I've worn safety glasses instead), I have to admit it's about as easy and very much faster.  People here say that propane will do just as well and is cheaper, so whenever this tank of MAP gas runs out, I'm going to try propane.  I think I'm a convert.  It's pretty easy and very fast.  My guess is that it works exactly the same way the Looftlighter works, only hotter and faster.
    I've been a Mapp gas proponent for years. To keep the sparks down try burying the tip into the lump. The sparks will be contained under the lump.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,457
    Good to hear! If you kept the old one, would you mind taking it apart please? I'm just curious if there's a fuse that's not too hard to replace. My dealer replaced my Looftlighter that died when in warranty, the new unit is still going strong.  Call me OCD, one precaution I take is ... press and hold the power switch once only, until all spots are lit, IMO repeated on/off cycles create power surges  :)
    canuckland
  • Grillmagic
    Good to hear! If you kept the old one, would you mind taking it apart please? I'm just curious if there's a fuse that's not too hard to replace. My dealer replaced my Looftlighter that died when in warranty, the new unit is still going strong.  Call me OCD, one precaution I take is ... press and hold the power switch once only, until all spots are lit, IMO repeated on/off cycles create power surges  :)

I am traveling/performing and away from home but I will try and open it and report what I find when I get Home.

Chuck King

www.chuckkingcomedy.com