Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Bombs

Options
Toxarch
Toxarch Posts: 1,900
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
I don't post many food pics but thought I should share something. Haven't made chicken bombs in a long time so I figured now is a good time and took some pics to share. Don't think I've seen these on here before.

So what's a chicken bomb? Well it's like an ABT, but that is wrapped in chicken and then wrapped in bacon. I do Italian sausage, Colby jack, and whipped cream cheese in the jalapeño. 

Filet the chicken breast open and then pound flat between 2 saran wrap sheets.

This is one breast pounded out:

I went with 2 jalapeño halves in each. Made 6 chicken bombs and froze 4 for later. I skip some pictures here since it's kinda messy taking pictures. Wrap it like a burrito and then wrapped in bacon. Took 3 slices of bacon on these. Use toothpicks if you want, I found twine to be easier. Seasoned with Dizzy Pig Raging River (I think that's the right name). Sauced with Blue's Hog near the end.

Cook at 375 for about 35-40 minutes, rotating regularly and baste with BBQ sauce near the end. I mostly pay attention to the internal temp getting to 160. I used some apple wood chunks for smoke. Next time I'll cook at a lower grate level. The bacon did not crisp up properly but it was still good. 

Au gratin potatoes on the side and bread. Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• BrueggeDad
    BrueggeDad Posts: 112
    Options
    It looks great!  I will definitely have to try this.
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Fantastic looking chicken.. Your pics are off the charts..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Bookmarked this one....Looks great !!!

What type of covering is on your pit probe wire?   Is it factory installed or something you applied?  

Great looking chicken Bombs....made me hungry !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    Wow those look fantastic! 
    Large BGE -- New Jersey

• platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Options
    I gotta try these, thanks! Looks like a bit of work for an amazing result, so worth it. 
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    This I like!  Thanks for posting.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Looks wonderful, nice post!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Beautiful cook!
    The pictures are great as well. 
    Nice work
  • Toxarch
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Bookmarked this one....Looks great !!!

What type of covering is on your pit probe wire?   Is it factory installed or something you applied?  

Great looking chicken Bombs....made me hungry !!
    That is a braided heat shield that I applied. It was recommended by someone on this forum. Does a great job protecting the Stoker probe wires (that like to melt) from heat and IR radiation. Wish it was a smaller diameter and the heat shrink tubing that comes with it doesn't last, but the braid still does the job just fine. 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000QFRWY6/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Great pics, look awesome.
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    That looks mouth-watering delicious.  Thanks for posting.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Toxarch..thanks...pretty expensive. I looked at several others...all cost a lot.

How many feet was your minimum order? Would you consider selling a few feet?

I appreciate the link !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Toxarch
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Toxarch..thanks...pretty expensive. I looked at several others...all cost a lot.

How many feet was your minimum order? Would you consider selling a few feet?

I appreciate the link !!
    Amazon sells it in 25' lengths. Not sure how much I have left, shared some with friends and I am out of the shrink tubing. You might try a local auto parts store and see if they sell by the foot. I believe this is commonly used for wrapping automotive wires like spark plug wires.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Killer cook
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Those are beautiful. stunning.  making me hungry right now.
  • CurtisMaximus
    Options
    Duuuude, awesome cook! Thanks for sharing.
    L BGE
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Looks outstanding!
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • deadlyfrog
    deadlyfrog Posts: 92
    Options
    Those look fantastic! Thank you for sharing...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    hello daddy, hello mom....chu chu chu chu chikken bomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYf_NM_lCLI

Options
    This is my version.  I'm growing Serranos and used those.  Thanks again for sharing!
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • jrj3rd
    jrj3rd Posts: 17
    Options
    does each pounded chicken breast make 1 or did you cut the breasts??  They look great.

1 LBGE - 1 KettlePizza - 1 seldom used Weber Summit

• BrueggeDad
    BrueggeDad Posts: 112
    Options
    I started out cutting in half but that made it too small.  It depends on the size of the breast.
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • JT272929
    JT272929 Posts: 106
    edited August 2016
    Options
    These look amazing! want to try!

West Des Moines, IA. Pit Boss K24, Anova Sous Vide, Maverick 733, BBQ Guru Party Q, Looftlighter

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    That is absolutely beautiful and I bet it tasted as good as it looks. Thanks for sharing. I will also add a respectful plea to keep em coming!
    Stillwater, MN
  • BigKize
    BigKize Posts: 24
    Options
    Outstanding! I just may have to give these a try!
    (1) XL Egg   (1) Weber Charcoal Performer   (1) Old Square Charbroil Charcoal Grill   (1) Char-Griller Duo   (1) Weber Smokey Joe 1987 vintage from grandfather  (1) Empty Wallet

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    I don't post many food pics but thought I should share something. Haven't made chicken bombs in a long time so I figured now is a good time and took some pics to share. Don't think I've seen these on here before.

So what's a chicken bomb? Well it's like an ABT, but that is wrapped in chicken and then wrapped in bacon. I do Italian sausage, Colby jack, and whipped cream cheese in the jalapeño. 

I went with 2 jalapeño halves in each. Made 6 chicken bombs and froze 4 for later. I skip some pictures here since it's kinda messy taking pictures. Wrap it like a burrito and then wrapped in bacon. Took 3 slices of bacon on these. Use toothpicks if you want, I found twine to be easier. Seasoned with Dizzy Pig Raging River (I think that's the right name). Sauced with Blue's Hog near the end.

Cook at 375 for about 35-40 minutes, rotating regularly and baste with BBQ sauce near the end. I mostly pay attention to the internal temp getting to 160. I used some apple wood chunks for smoke. Next time I'll cook at a lower grate level. The bacon did not crisp up properly but it was still good. 

I I'm doing this for sure.  Any details on the abt part?  Amounts and such.  

looks great. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Toxarch
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jrj3rd said:
    does each pounded chicken breast make 1 or did you cut the breasts??  They look great.
    I butterfly the breast and then pound them out. Each breast piece made one. I've done it with 1/2 breast and half a jalapeño but they end up small and really thin meat.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Toxarch
    Options

4Runner said:
    Toxarch said:

I I'm doing this for sure.  Any details on the abt part?  Amounts and such.  

looks great. 
    I do 5 or 6 at a time and then vacuum seal the extras and freeze them. So adjust the recipe.

1/2 - 1 pound of ground mild Italian sausage (brown in a pan). I use a 1/2 package of Johnsons sausage from the store.
    4 Oz cream cheese, softened (they sell a whipped version that makes it easier to use)
    1 Cup grated Colby jack cheese (any cheese flavor you want really)
    6 jalapeños
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• jrj3rd
    jrj3rd Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks - will be making these soon

1 LBGE - 1 KettlePizza - 1 seldom used Weber Summit

• jstewart12a
    Options
    My goodness those look amazing. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA