Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OTish: Your Favorite Kitchen Knife

Options
I sent my Shun chop knife off to get sharpened and it accidentally got lost. If you aren't gasping...hit up Google. 

I had much butt hurt about this, it was a wedding gift from my sister (chef) and I have had it forever. I have been getting by with ceramics but I have been considering reinvesting in this baby...the Shun Ken Onion cleaver. I have never owned a cleaver but every time I go get sushi those guys are rocking one cleaver for everything. Seemed more versatile. 

So I'm curious. What do you prefer?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options

Cleaver + Jim Beam = lopped off finger.  

My name speaks the truth
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My favorite kitchen knife is a steak knife.  Whenever I'm using it, I'm usually dining on steak.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    dopey said:

Cleaver + Jim Beam = lopped off finger.  

My name speaks the truth
    Casualties of war my friend. My buddy did the same on a duck hunting trip. We made him suck it up until the end of shooting time before we took him to a clinic. He was so pissed. 

How is do you like the blade? Other than the fact that it likes you?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    I have a Mac chefs knife for everyday cooking needs. It's fantastic and for the price well worth it. Have had it well over a year and can still slice onion so thin it melts in a pan. I also bought their ceramic sharpener with it. This link is the exact one I have.http://www.cutleryandmore.com/mac-professional/hollow-edge-chefs-knife-p18060?gclid=CMmZuOnUis4CFVYjgQodl4EIow
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I definitely have opened the wrong thread for me.  I have absolutely no need for another fully functional kitchen knife but there is a pretty good chance that I will get sucked into the vortex after perusing the thread.  ;)  
    Gifted the below John Whittle cutlery utility knife several years ago- a true kitchen work-horse:

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    This is my fave. Good steel. Great slicer, tho' a little short, not quite 7". Not quite as wide as a cleaver, but very good for chopping heads of cabbage.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If I had to go down to one, it's a 10" Shun Classic Chefs.

Not sure Shun steel is a good choice in a cleaver that gets used hard, hacking through bones.  It looks cool though.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/how-to-choose-buy-care-for-a-meat-cleaver.html

The sushi guys are pushin' and choppin'(not rockin') Nakiris.  Basically, a chefs knife with the front end chopped off. 

The Dexter Russell cleavers I use are much bolder, stronger, heavier, and would take my digit completely off if I hit one like that.....and a fraction of the price.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I definitely have opened the wrong thread for me.  I have absolutely no need for another fully functional kitchen knife but there is a pretty good chance that I will get sucked into the vortex after perusing the thread.  ;)  
    Gifted the below John Whittle cutlery utility knife several years ago- a true kitchen work-horse:

That is an amazing piece of hardware right there. 

that was the same design of my last blade minus the hook on the end. One night I am just going to have one too many and get on Amazon and say, "you know what, I need this" and just pull the trigger on a full set. The problem is my wife is an affirmed believer that everything belongs in a dishwasher so I am trying to break her of that habit before having to sign a piece of paper that states: Reason for Divorce. Doesn't follow instructions. 

South of Nashville, TN

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Shun Classic Santoku for me.  I just got a Wusthof Classic Santoku (it was my 15 yr. anniversary present from work).  It's a nice knife, but the Shun is my favorite.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    Options
    At least KY is a "no-fault" divorce state.  Don't even need an excuse... ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    gdenby said:
    This is my fave. Good steel. Great slicer, tho' a little short, not quite 7". Not quite as wide as a cleaver, but very good for chopping heads of cabbage.

Nobody should be this aroused by this combination of wood and steel. That's a beauty. 

South of Nashville, TN

• dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    Casualties of war my friend. My buddy did the same on a duck hunting trip. We made him suck it up until the end of shooting time before we took him to a clinic. He was so pissed. 

How is do you like the blade? Other than the fact that it likes you?
    The blade is awesome, I only use the chef knife for veggies on a wooden board, the. cleaver gets more abuse, but only sober now
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I have a Tramontina chef's knife I bought in Italy 30 years ago. Excellent edge, balanced in my hand, only cut me once. I use it every day, and only have to sharpen it twice a year.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    A Cutco chef knife and Vegetable knife. Both are far better than my Henckles
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    My daily go to knife is a Chinese cleaver
  • gdenby
    Options
    My daily go to knife is a Chinese cleaver
    Do use it for meats? Do you know the brand? I bought one that I didn't know was for vegetables, and tried to hack up a chicken carcass. Eventually I'll get around to re-grinding the edge. I have to think there is a kind that is used to chop sections out of Peking Duck, but what I have isn't the one.
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    @gdenby, I use it for everything...it was a cheap generic at the local Chinese grocery store.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Since this thread resurfaced let me describe some fantastic customer service- As anticipated, I got sucked into the knife vortex (visited the local Williams Sonoma store Monday and did not find anything that hit the wow factor) and went with the @TN_Sister_State recommendation above (ordered thru Cutlery and More on-line) at 4 PM (EDT) on Monday and delivered (standard UPS ground shipping) sometime Tues afternoon.  Waiting for me at 4:30 PM (EDT) today.  Dang-no wonder I never got any tracking info.  That knife is scary sharp and will be pressed into duty Weds AM. That is the quickest non-expedited shipping I have ever experienced.  FWIW-
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Wusthof Ikon 8" Hollow Edge

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    I have shun classics and a couple Macs. Both are already mentioned here. When these are sharpened to 15 degree and dull by my standards (6 months of use) my guests are amazed. I sharpen with a $30 generic version of the apex sharpeners from Amazon. 
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    gdenby said:

@gdenby  I heard through the grapevine that you had one a little short and not quite wide enough...but I from what I hear it's good for heads.

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I do not know how to put IG pics on here.

My gyuto and paring knife combine for 99% of all cutting I do in the kitchen

These first two links are to my paring knife. 
    https://www.instagram.com/p/6YTUnRRS8F/ 
    https://www.instagram.com/p/6F0VtFRS8e/ 

In this link the middle knife if my gyuto

https://www.instagram.com/p/zZ_wHJRS53/ 
    https://www.instagram.com/p/_P3X87RS_B/
    the bottom larger one is same knife

if someone knows how to post the pics, thanks in advance
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BHm9AeegF9W/

this is one I just purchased and gave to my parents as anniversary gift. so far they like it
    Boom
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Let me be perfectly clear: I am not buying another knife!!  However, I was in Williams Sonoma the other day and came across the Shun Kaji Nakiri 4.5".  There was some sort of a promotion, and it was on sale to boot.  It's become one of my favorite knives - perfect for sushi, veggies and fruit.  Just saw that there is also a 6" version, but let me reiterate: I am not buying another knife...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Crap - I just bought the 6.5 inch version of the Shun Kaji Nakiri.  Will power was never one of my strong suits...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • gdenby
    Options
    Ver-r-r-y impressive. Howz it cut, what's the upkeep? The steel? How long did you have to wait?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My 240mm Takeda. It's the 2nd from the left in the pic. Even at 10 inches it's still really light and crazy sharp. The blade is so thin it almost disappears when you put the blade facing you.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Nice collection @Lit.

These are my fave four. In all honesty, the little guy at the bottom is likely my favourite - a Masakage Koishi AS Honesuki. It's made of Aogami Super (super blue carbon steel).

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Ver-r-r-y impressive. Howz it cut, what's the upkeep? The steel? How long did you have to wait?
    I love it. The gyuto is the first nice kitchen knife I ever bought. Custom made by Bushkill Blades. Damascus steel. 

I use the tri-angle sharp maker to maintain edge and I send to the guy who made the knife once a year to get professionally done. It is almost like two diff knies as the bevel on front part and the rest of knife is different. 

As far as upkeep just a little oil once a month or so. 

I did not have to wait long for it as he does side projects outside of his orders here and there and that was one he was working on at the time. 

@lit and @GrateEggspectations y'all both have beautiful collections. Lit I am super envious of a few of the ones you have in particular 
    Boom