Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mrs Mosca's end of chemotherapy feast

Options
2»

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    awesome stuff all the way around !
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Congrats Mosca family.  Keep kicking it's ass Mrs. Mosca!!!!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    That has made my day....and @SRFShane ....you rock.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That has made my day....and @SRFShane ....you rock.
    @SRFShane, Robin, he does rock after all of us who also rock brother.  @Mosca rocks!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
    Options
    @Mosca- thanks. Another question, now I've read your post in detail twice. I'm asking because I've tried to cook what you've done and epicly failed, so trying to get it right.

After the FTC the internal temp of the meat was 100F, is that right? Then you got it to 145F for serving, was that achieved solely by searing as a whole joint of meat with the egg at 600F?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    @Mosca- thanks. Another question, now I've read your post in detail twice. I'm asking because I've tried to cook what you've done and epicly failed, so trying to get it right.

After the FTC the internal temp of the meat was 100F, is that right? Then you got it to 145F for serving, was that achieved solely by searing as a whole joint of meat with the egg at 600F?
    No, that was just when I took the photo. I removed the meat at 125* and FTC'd, carryover cooking took it to about 133*. The searing raised the internal temp by about 10-15*.

If you were to plan your cook more efficiently than I did, and shoot for medium rare instead of medium, you would cook to about 120* and then sear to about 135*, skipping the FTC. I only did the FTC because I put the meat on too early. 

The sear on a rib roast can be pretty action-packed because of the huge fat cap. Keep your spray bottle handy.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
    Options
    Mosca said:

No, that was just when I took the photo. I removed the meat at 125* and FTC'd, carryover cooking took it to about 133*. The searing raised the internal temp by about 10-15*.

If you were to plan your cook more efficiently than I did, and shoot for medium rare instead of medium, you would cook to about 120* and then sear to about 135*, skipping the FTC. I only did the FTC because I put the meat on too early. 

The sear on a rib roast can be pretty action-packed because of the huge fat cap. Keep your spray bottle handy.
    Thanks, that makes more sense. Looking forward to nailing this for the in-laws.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Congratulations. What a wonderful celebration. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia