Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub recommendations - your favorites.

Options
I've run out of Dizzy Dust and am going to be placing an order for some new rubs soon. anyone have any strong recommendations. 

Im considering the following but thought I'd ask the experts:

Plowboys Yardbird
Meat Church Honey Hog
Meat Church Deez Nuts (the pecan flavor intrigues me but I wonder if it's primarily a gimmick). 
Killer Hogs

Any experience with these and/or other faves to consider?  

Much appreciated.
Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Dizzy pig is my favorite and they have a lot of really good rubs beyond dizzy dust.

that being said, meat church is really good too.  Their holy cow is my favorite on beef.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    PB Yardbird is my favorite all-purpose rub. 

Little Rock, AR

• NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    Thanks for the comment. I have Raising the Steaks as well and I really enjoy that as a nice change to steaks and burgers. 
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    You may also want to search "Mickeys coffee rub" and make a batch. It's excellent. 
    GWN
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Yardbird is really good, I echo the recommendation for that - it is also available on Amazon and eligible for prime shipping if that applies to you.  Also available with Prime is The Rub Company's Santa Maria Style which is really good and very versatile.

I recently got the sampler pack from Oakridge BBQ and have been really enjoying those, especially the competition rub, secret weapson rub, and black ops brisket rub.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Also, if you want to check out more dizzy pig blends I know that Whisk in Cary has a selection, and I believe they have the smaller sample bags as well.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I love Texas BBQ rubs, especially grand champion. Also oakridge rubs are awesome and meat church.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    I've been way into the Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon Chicken and Pork and their Dominator Sweet Rib Rub which my wife loves on chicken too. I tried their Santa Maria and Game Bird rubs which were disappointing. I liked the Oakridge SW and Rib rubs as they were not as salty as the Dizzy Dust I tried.

http://www.oakridgebbq.com/
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Sweet swine o mine is great on ribs. Love the dizzy pig stuff, all of it. Also a fan of the plowboys rubs. Pigs ass is a great "mustardy" rub for pork. Three little pigs rubs are very good all around BBQ rubs. I often mix a couple together to achieve my desired results.
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    Stubbs steak seasoning is really good
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Second Oakridge.  Dizzy pig is on the salty side for my tastes.

I love Oakridge HDD rub.  Habenero Death Dust.  I put it in most everything I want to add kick to.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • jonnymack
    Options
    Second Oakridge.  Dizzy pig is on the salty side for my tastes.

I love Oakridge HDD rub.  Habenero Death Dust.  I put it in most everything I want to add kick to.
    FYI I have their Ghost Chile rub that I'm kind of scared to open. It may go in my exchange gift package. I'm too old to eat stuff that hot, total impulse buy.

• NCEggSmoker
    Options
    Acn said:
    Also, if you want to check out more dizzy pig blends I know that Whisk in Cary has a selection, and I believe they have the smaller sample bags as well.
    Thanks for the local tip. I've never been to whisk. The Butchers Market in Cary also has a huge selection of rubs, though I don't recall what Brands. I went last year when I first got the egg...need to go back. 
  • NCEggSmoker
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on the salt level. I'll keep that in mind. I'Be seen several good comments about Oakridge lately. 
    jonnymack said:
    I've been way into the Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon Chicken and Pork and their Dominator Sweet Rib Rub which my wife loves on chicken too. I tried their Santa Maria and Game Bird rubs which were disappointing. I liked the Oakridge SW and Rib rubs as they were not as salty as the Dizzy Dust I tried.

http://www.oakridgebbq.com/

• avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    I pick this up locally, but it can be ordered online:  
    http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/milwaukee-iron-seasoning#content 

They carry several other rubs (and lots of spices) but this is my favorite from them for steak and chicken.  
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @jonnymack I'll take it from you. I'll cover cost and shipping.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I'm on the Oakwood BBQ train at the moment. 

Used some Tsnami Spin for thighs fthe other day for Smoked White Chile because I felt bad about not using Dizzy for a while.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jonnymack
    Options
    You talking the ghost chile rub? I was hoping that would be the carrot to get me in in case I can't get my posts up. 

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I really like Meat Church spices. As a general rub I like Walt Garrisions. Kind of off the radar but I also like Famous Daves Rib Rub. 
    McKinney, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    You talking the ghost chile rub? I was hoping that would be the carrot to get me in in case I can't get my posts up. 
    Yeah. I wanted to get some but missed the boat. I'll bug cazzy for you either way.
  • jonnymack
    Options
    Give me two weeks, if I'm in smelling distance post wise I'll shoot it your way. You never know if someone random is willing to tempt the devil and since you are why not hook it up.

• NCEggSmoker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Some great ideas there. Going to be placing several orders. The Oakrudge Rub sampler looks like a no brainer to try a bunch of different things from them. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Dizzy pig also offers a sampler. FYI
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
     S & P
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Really useful thread. We are in Boise for a few days later in the year, planning to stock up on rubs to bring home to the UK, does anyone know of a good store selling rubs there?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Space_City_Egger
    Options
    I really liked killer hogs for all things pork and chicken. Honey hog was ok for me. After a rib cook I couldn't really taste it. For a lighter pork tenderloin it was great.  
    Large

Houston,TX
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    The famous Mickey's coffee rub recipe on this site for ribs, butts and roast chicken. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Really useful thread. We are in Boise for a few days later in the year, planning to stock up on rubs to bring home to the UK, does anyone know of a good store selling rubs there?
    I've not been in Boise, but I can make 2 suggestions. Check out local dedicated butcher's. There is a chance they will be offering their own rubs, and/or others that they use if they do catering. You won't be too far from Penzey's locations in Portland, OR. You might order in advance, and have some blends shipped to where you are staying. It might be reasonable to something even shipped from a location a thousand miles away.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I like Pixie Dust for Chicken.  Man, I haven't been on the forum for a while.  Guess life gets in the way.
    Milton, GA.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota