Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ahi Tuna

JRWhitee
JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
edited July 2016 in Seafood
I picked up a couple nice tuna cuts at Costco. Marinated in soy and sesame oil for an hour hit them with kosher salt and pepper the covered them with black and white sesame seeds with ground ginger. Got the large to 400 and preheated the cast iron skillet added some canola oil and searsd them for a minute a side. Served with soy and fresh made wasabi. 

Johns Creek, Georgia

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163
    Sounds like a true banquet.  Congrats on the fresh wasabi...I'm not a pic fan but if you care to share I would enjoy putting an eyeball to that feast.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRWhitee
    lousubcap said:
    Sounds like a true banquet.  Congrats on the fresh wasabi...I'm not a pic fan but if you care to share I would enjoy putting an eyeball to that feast.  FWIW-
    Done, they didn't download at first. I had to go back and try it again.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163
    I figured you had loaded them and now I am seeing them-great cook and banquet.  I gather you grow your own wasabi...nailed it for sure.  Thanks for the follow-up.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Nice!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks great man!!  It's time you take Christine fishing again so you don't hafta buy the tuna from the store.   :)
  • Dyal_SC said:
    Looks great man!!  It's time you take Christine fishing again so you don't hafta buy the tuna from the store.   :)

Wait. Hold on. what is this? Is there a boat in Soth Carolina? Are y'all holding out on me? Cause I can fish, cut bait, ice beer, pay for gas, apply sunscreen...I'm just sayin I'm committed. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• JRWhitee

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Apparently I need to get in deeper water. Or I need a new lucky hat. Nice fish! 

South of Nashville, TN

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Where you at, @Killit_and_Grillit ?  I actually just sold my boat, but we still need to go fishing sometime.  
  • Nashville TN. We usually go with my uncle on his in bay boat down in Corpus Christi (I was stationed in CO and it was an easy trip) but now it's such a pain that it's cheaper and easier just to chase fish in Tampa Bay and hire a guide. 

I dont think my little 18 foot Tracker bass boat would handle those waves but that's the curse of living in a land locked state. Life goals...convince my toddler to go to Coastal Carolina to study marine biology and then convince momma bear she lives too far from her baby!!

South of Nashville, TN

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Looks good. I now want tuna  =)
  • Very nice
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Damn that looks good! Awesome Jim!
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Looks great! Always wanted to try cooking ahi tuna
    Dyersburg, TN
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Wow - not only beautiful, but better than restaurant quality!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • JRWhitee
    leemschu said:
    Looks great! Always wanted to try cooking ahi tuna
    Very easy to do.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee
    hapster said:
    Awesome! Great looking cook!
    Thanks Hap!

Johns Creek, Georgia