Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker Warranty, Can You Believe It

Options
bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
I've had my Sroker controller for a few years now. It's the 1st gen of the Wi-Fi version. Over time, I've added two more BGE and was able to add another fan and pit temp easily without buying more controllers (One of the main reasons for choosing Stoker over other brands). Memorial weekend, I was doing a 18 lb brisket on one egg, 4 racks of ribs on another egg and a 10 lb pork shoulder on my mini-max. All was good until my stoker quit working.

I emailed them and told them what happened and I was instructed to mail in my stoker. I also included my 3 fans and 3 pit probes. After their review, they found a few plugs to be defective, re-flashed the firmware and cleared the database. They shipped everything back at no charge and also added color rings to my probes and fans.
Great service! Thanks again Rocks.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I wish I had bought the Stoker instead of my CberQ WiFi. I only had one egg when I bought it. Glad to hear you got great service.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Ah, the brown wire probes. Melted those the first week I had the Stoker. Use a Braided high temperature sleeve on those to keep them from melting. Wish I had skipped their probes and bought all K probes to begin with. 

They were slow to respond to emails before. They've gotten a lot better. Had an issue with a K probe adapter. I could calibrate it for ambient temperature or I could calibrate it for boiling temperature. It would be exponentially wrong the farther it got from the calibrated temp. Tried a few things they suggested and that didn't work. They eventually sent me a new one.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Ah, the brown wire probes. Melted those the first week I had the Stoker. Use a Braided high temperature sleeve on those to keep them from melting. Wish I had skipped their probes and bought all K probes to begin with. 

They were slow to respond to emails before. They've gotten a lot better. Had an issue with a K probe adapter. I could calibrate it for ambient temperature or I could calibrate it for boiling temperature. It would be exponentially wrong the farther it got from the calibrated temp. Tried a few things they suggested and that didn't work. They eventually sent me a new one.

It's just thermocouple wire and it's the K type. They have a K adapter but you will still need a K wire for making your own probe. If you order extra long probes, you can cut a few inches of burnt wire, twist the wires together and put back into the stainless tubes. Here is a post for repairing probes.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180672/make-or-repair-your-stoker-pit-probes#latest

Adding an overbraid will still have the same wire shielding and will still melt at the same temp (polymer rated to 392° F). The overbraid could help with a flash heat but if you are going to 400°+, the shielding will start to melt. I agree, it would be nice for a braided/ hi temp wire option but food safe wire can be a reason they chose what they did. I've been lazy but some day I want to change my probes (or just my pit probes) to a stainless steel braid over glass. It had a 900°F rating. Might be a good option with your K adapter.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Where are all the Stoker hater pundants?
    I still stand by that they deliver quality and given the chance they clearly delivery quality customer service. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL