Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome alignment - should I get this fixed?

Options
Newbie here - just had my BGE delivered and setup, I wasn't home at the time, noticed the lid and the base are about 1/4 inch misaligned at the front (underbite). Is it worth calling the store and getting them to come back out?

Comments

• CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I would especially if a fully assembled egg was assumed with the purchase. Many dealers sell them unassembled because they are much easier to transport. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited July 2016
    Options
    A lot of good dealers out there, but some who don't have a clue. I would watch what they do and ask questions. If they tell you the dome just needs a little tweak  to bend the hinge into alignment, not so good. Should be a band and hinge adjustment with out any need to bend or tweak. 
  • tubulus
    tubulus Posts: 4
    Options
    OK will call the store...I assume it should be perfectly aligned or is a little over/underbite unavoidable?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Personally for 1/4" I wouldn't bother! While these are ceramic, they are not fine porcelain China. I wouldn't be surprised if your dealer refuses.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I may be unavoidable (diameter of lid diff than base) , and ¼ in won't be a problem, but as it's new, assembled by the dealer, then I would get him to try to fix it.  

(My old Medium BGE has a ¼" underbite that I could never fix (old-style welded bands, so not much room for adjustment)

And see that the bands are tight, should be a bend, like this:

see: http://biggreenegg.com/getting-started/
  • tubulus
    tubulus Posts: 4
    Options
    Oy. Had them come fix, and now I realize (after a few cooks) that there is an even worse problem - the top and bottom in the back (ie closer to the hinge) do not touch anymore, maybe 1/8 inch between, enough that I see smoke coming out during cooks. The gasket felt in the back is looking a bit cooked, while the front felt (which touches top and bottom) looks like new.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Have them come back
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... and don't let them leave until you close the dome on a dollar bill and pull it out, all around the gasket, and find that you get some resistance in all places.  If there are any places where the dollar can be pulled out without any resistance at all, you'll have an air leak.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Your bands are slipping.

When it's cold, closed lid, loosen the bands top and bottom, and align them evenly spaced from the gasket, about a quarter inch or so... it's important that they are even all the way around - less important is the distance to the gasket.

Now tighten them, cold.

Heat the egg up to about 400º and with the lid closed, tighten them again. You should be able to turn those nuts a surprising amount while it's hot.

The bands slip. Nature of the beast.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    I would learn to do minor maintenance on your Egg, adjusting your bands falls under this type of maintenance (IMO). Once you have cook on the Egg it will loosen up and you are right back to where you are now.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    My small was not aligned correctly. All it took was a couple of stainless steel washers to correct it. I imagine some dealers assemble the egg and don't want to spend the extra few minutes to ensure a proper alignment. The person doing the assembly may not even have the knowledge to know it should fit close to perfect and seal all the way around.