Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new addition to my foreign item collection found in lump

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
I have lots of rocks in my stash, but here's a cool new piece. As you can see there is charred wood inside and it's about 5" long and super hard.

I thought it might have been the end of a stick to stir cement but the texture is not like cement. I have no clue what it is but I'm saving it.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    I found a fist-sized rock in the last bag of lump i used this passed weekend.
    Austin, Tx
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    From the first picture it almost looks like a jaw bone.  
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    From the first picture it almost looks like a jaw bone.  
    Yeah it does. Need a pic of it with a quarter or dime to put in perspective.  
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    Burning my last bag of CDS this week ...Cant wait to see what the next twelve bags of RO have for me ! ;-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Ron's idea makes most sense, with the wood inside it.  could be plaster though.  looks like it....

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Base of a shovel with the wood still in it?  Charcoal making process worked on wood and burnt holes in metal?
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Ron's idea makes most sense, with the wood inside it.  could be plaster though.  looks like it....

This is not at all brittle and has a certain pitch to it when struck, but not a metallic sound. It is strong and I scored a piece of wood with it clearly marking the wood, but it did not phase the material. Tomorrow I'll try some other tests. Due to the texture on the flip side I thought it might have been BondO, but I believe it would have burnt up.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    New game:  Guess what Ron found. 
    Winner gets a new Rutland. 
    I believe I have no idea what it is. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    RRP said:

This is not at all brittle and has a certain pitch to it when struck, but not a metallic sound. It is strong and I scored a piece of wood with it clearly marking the wood, but it did not phase the material. Tomorrow I'll try some other tests. Due to the texture on the flip side I thought it might have been BondO, but I believe it would have burnt up.
    Rockwell hardness test in order? 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    So there is "wood inside and it is 5" long and super hard"?  

I'm stumped, @RRP.  :confused::giggle:  

Looks like melted plastic to me. 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Super hard, 5 inches long, got wood. These things write themselves....
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    looks like a fulgurite
    Options
    looks like a fulgurite
    LOL - had to look that one up! BTW is the sale price of my newly found item going to sky rocket so I better put it in my safe deposit box at the bank? let alone get Lloyds of London to insure it? 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulgurite