Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you use to raise the grate to do "raised, direct" without the platesetter?

I'm planning on doing my first spatchcock chicken on the XL today.  It's been sitting in OakridgeBBQ's all purpose brine in the fridge.  I wanna cook it raised direct as per most of the posts here on spatchys.  So what are you guys using to raise the grate if you aren't using the platesetter?
XL Big Green  Egg 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    LBGE here and I initially picked up a 17" weber grate.  Then used three empty (key word) beer cans on the original grate to get the second one to a little above the gasket line.  I also have some fire bricks that work.
    Since those early days I have landed on the ceramic grill store (https://ceramicgrillstore.com)  PSwoo2 with extender and D ring.  Great setup.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I use three bricks set around the perimeter of the coal bin but then I have been called cheap once or twice.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited July 2016
    Or you can go tuff guy like fishlessman and use less lump

it's about the distance between the food and fire, not the device that achieves it

smaller grid with three feet and legs made from washers and carriage bolts too. That works
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    aluminum coke cans
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    I have a 2" fire ring extension for mine
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

Nuts bolts and a weber grid setting on top of oem grid

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    I have one like the above, and a smaller one that fits my small. 

I use that smaller one in the Large BGE atop an already raised grid. Gives me a second tier. Pretty flexible

these were made up many moons ago before the possibly superior setups that are now available as accessories. Which i have nuthin against, for the record. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    I use 2 firebricks.  

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • jstewart12a
    jstewart12a Posts: 144
    Here is what I came up with. It not only allows for more room when doing indirect but also allows raised direct. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1994589#Comment_1994589
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Built these, stolen from a post I saw on here a few years ago. Aluminum tube. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • stichrunner
    stichrunner Posts: 103
    I did it with ps in feet up and grate on them. 350 for 45 mins. Internal temp 170 in the Brest. Came out crispy and juicy. 
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    PSWoo2
    New Albany, Ohio 

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Or you can go tuff guy like fishlessman and use less lump

it's about the distance between the food and fire, not the device that achieves it

smaller grid with three feet and legs made from washers and carriage bolts too. That works
    Less lump is what I do too
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    I bought a second cheapy grate and 3 fire bricks at local hardware store.  Works good.  Cheapy grate on bottom, bricks, and Egg grate on top. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    I have the Woo as well.  It also gives me the option to place 1/2 of a pizza stone on the bottom side, therefore creating direct and indirect cooking zones simultaneously.  The same thing could be accomplished with the 2 grate method.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    It's already raised. No need to raise more. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    If your gonna use bricks, wrap em well in foil. This way if they fall in they won't break the firebox. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Spider
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!