Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Freezer door left open...

Options
Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
edited July 2016 in Off Topic
The freezer door got left open and by the time I discovered it the meat I had in it had thawed. It was still cold. Am I okay to close the lid and let it re-freeze or should I cook it tomorrow. We're hosting a grill out anyway, was going to serve a loin, what I had in the freezer was six fillet mignons and 3 slabs of spares, and a couple packages of chicken legs.
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You would be OK freezing again, but hey, you have an opportunity, cook it all!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I tend to lean towards caution- cook it and celebrate

Greensboro, NC
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Have a feast! 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    too late now, but after having an upright freezer do that to us I installed an inexpensive hasp and screwed it to the body and door and placed a nail thru the closed hasp. Not purdy, but neither is the loss of the contents that we suffered! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Food poisoning or a few bucks in the trash. Toss it. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I vote for food poisoning!!!  Eat it!!

(when I go outside I'm totally going for the lightening or meteor strike!!!)

If it was still cold it's fine, unless this happened a year ago and you just noticed.
    Options
    I had the power go out with about 100 lbs of beef in it. The steaks were almost thawed out still frozen in the middle. The hamburger was completely thawed, but still cold. I refrooze it all and I'm still alive. Just sayin. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Hans61
    Options
    I'm refreezing. when I thaw again (intentionally next time) if there's an off smell I'll pitch it. You all believe in the smell test for safety? 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I'm refreezing. when I thaw again (intentionally next time) if there's an off smell I'll pitch it. You all believe in the smell test for safety? 
    It usually works. Usually.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,106
    Options
    Seafood cook it, rest refreeze.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'd cook the filets. Refreezing might affect texture and taste. 
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    I'd throw a party and cook it all. On a side note, beyond getting a good deal on meat why do you freeze uncooked meat?  Why not just establish a relationship with a good butcher and buy what you need for the week. The meat will taste better and you won't risk losing a freezer full of savings next time. 

I I generally cook what I buy fresh and only freeze leftovers.
  • Hans61
    Options
    Mud Pig said:
    I'd throw a party and cook it all. On a side note, beyond getting a good deal on meat why do you freeze uncooked meat?  Why not just establish a relationship with a good butcher and buy what you need for the week. The meat will taste better and you won't risk losing a freezer full of savings next time. 

what i had frozen were killer deals i couldn't pass up. 6$ spares as an example 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited July 2016
    Options

Glad it wasn't a total loss for you @Hans61

I keep meaning to pick one of these up.  Next order it's going in the cart!

http://www.thermoworks.com/RT801

Phoenix 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Mud Pig said:

You obviously don't live in the Spokane area. Only a few Butchers in the area... and they are very proud of what they sell. Recently one of the grocers had flat irons on sale at 5.99@pound. Eggers was 9.99@pound. I can get spares from Cash and Carry for $2.20@pound. Butcher wanted close to double. Wife and,I are both collecting disability...ain't no way we can afford to but meat from a butcher...
    Must be nice to have deep pockets...
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    NO.  The pathogens that cause food poisoning do not create odors.  What you may smell is food spoilage, which affects quality but not safety.  Smell is often used as an indicator for safety based on the assumption that food old enough to spoil has been around long enough to also develop safety issues.  It is not a direct indicator of safety.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mud Pig said:
    .... On a side note, beyond getting a good deal on meat why do you freeze uncooked meat?  ....
    I prefer buying fresh. I do however have some uncooked meat in the freezer (mostly pork butt).  Price is one reason.  Around here the price for pork butt has varied in the last year from just over $1 per pound to about $4 per pound.  Quality wise frozen pork butt works as well as fresh.

Second reason for having some frozen meat around is I am not so organized that I know what meals I will be cooking a week in advance.  3-4 days is my normal menu planning horizon.  Some times it is more convenient to grab something from the freezer than it is to go to the store to pick up the protein for a meal.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    This happened to me recently. 8 hours with door open. All food completely thawed. Had to toss the shrimp we couldn't cook. Other than that it refroze and no one noticed anything. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • mikeinccfl
    mikeinccfl Posts: 119
    Options
    Stinks when that happens, but not literally.

Cook if thawed to 40 degrees or warmer for a short time. Trash if warmer or sat longer. The nasties start growing at 40 and don't smell. Hurts to lose the product but food poisoning is worse. 
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • Hans61
    Options
    Wife had the final vote, all thrown away - thanks for all the input
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf