Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss- wind effects on egg temp.

Options
Hi All
I read a review of the flame boss that highlighted an issue with fan not being well sealed in the lower vent allowing wind to effect temp. Has anyone had this issue? My egg faces a lake and it can be windy at times. I have had a hard time with over night cooks would like to buy FB or the Digiq. 

Thanks! 

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    I have never had my temps affected by wind
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    FB and wind is a non-issue.  I ran in blizzards, ran, crazy wind, no issues.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    I just put a piece of foil over the outside of my fan- prevents it from being an issue
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Wind can have an effect on the BGE, but not the FB's operation of it.  The more the wind, the more heat lost through the ceramic through radiation (so the fan has to kick on.)  It can also create a flue effect on the chimney drawing more air through the egg.  This goes for ANY smoker/BBQ grill regardless if you have a temp controller on it.

But if you use the FB as directed, closing the daisy wheel completely, that flue action isn't going to happen.........you're force feeding the air into the firebox, and pushing it out the daisy wheel.  There's nothing for the wind to draw across.

If you're that worried about it, just turn draft door downwind.  But honestly, it can be upwind--it's not going to change anything.

BTW, if you want the login for my FB200, just send me an email and I'll give you the password to play around with it.  It's plugged-in 24/7.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Wind does nothing to my egg, with or without my digiQ. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have done 225 overnight in a literal blizzard. Sustained winds over 35mph, blowing snow

wind has no effect on my egg. But my egg is magic 

I completely agree that if there were an issue it would be the wind passing over top and drawing air out rather than air blowing in the lower vent. But it just doesn't have any effect that i have ever noticed. And that's the only effect i care about

No spiked temps or extra fuel burned or different vents settings 

just doesn't happen. Here anyway. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Long before the Smokeware cap came out, the way was to take a Folger's coffee can, and cut out a rectangular 6x2 section on the side along the base.  Turn it upside down, put it over your daisy wheel with the cut out facing downwind.  No wind, no rain, no pain! 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    agree with @ozzie_isaac
    I've used it in high wind, no noticeable effect
    i've also aimed a fan across the top of my egg because my neighbor complained about smoke blowing towards his house.  again, no effect. (for the record i was here first, i didn't make him build 10 feet from me.)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    My back deck may have been one of the areas that was discussed in threads about wind effects on temps. That definitely has happened to me running the daisy wheel or the Smokeware caps bareback. When I use the Flame Boss I have never experienced an issue. The problem on my deck seems to be the position of the Eggs from the corner of the house or something to do with the pitch of the roof and distance to the Eggs. I suspect the latter as moving away from the corner doesn't seem to help. Either way if it is a lower temp cook the huffer puffer is on and doing its' thing.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    "Huffer puffer" LOL Love it
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• eggheadbrown
    Options
    I can't seem to get through an overnight cook with good results. Even during long day cooks I have to watch and slightly adjust for temp changes. I always assumed it was wind changes pushing more air through lower vent.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    If the egg fluctuates +\- 20 degrees but comes back to the target temp or remains steady, let it be.  That temp isn't too drastic to ruin the cook.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    I can't seem to get through an overnight cook with good results. Even during long day cooks I have to watch and slightly adjust for temp changes. I always assumed it was wind changes pushing more air through lower vent.

Where is the pit probe?  Also how do you have the top vent set?

The temp under the dome is going to fluctuate from side to side, as is the meat.  Plus the fire wanders around the firebox (especially in am xl.)  If the probe is direct view of the fire, it's going to read high.  If you have the probe too close to the meat, outer surface, or meat, you can get a bad reading.  Same goes if the probe is above the meat or above drip/water pan.  

If you keep that probe over a plate setter leg, and at least an inch or two from the meat & ceramic, then you'll get a better reading.

Finally, remember the egg is a 3000+ year old design......nothing you do with make it as accurate as a commercial convention oven.