Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Practical uses for tofu

Options
Wife has a friend who asked if I had tried grilling tofu. Well, no. Would I try it? Again, no. 
With a Google search, I did find some other uses:
  1. In 1968, Apollo astronauts took it into orbit to secure their tools in zero-gravity.
  2. Physical therapists use it for rehabilitative therapy of hand injuries.
  3. It can also be used therapeutically for stress reduction (and entertain you during boring meetings.)
  4. Amateur CSIs can use it to lift fingerprints.
  5. It can be used as a drumhead resonance damper.
  6. You can wrap it around a pencil and use it as a grip.
  7. Use a few balls of it to practice juggling.
  8. You can use a thin layer of it as a thumb cover for counting money quickly.
  9. Easily locate important items in your home (like flashlights or candles) during a power outage by marking them with the glow-in-the-dark variety.
  10. Wrap it around your soda can and it will keep it cold.
  11. Roll a ball of it on the floor to help find a lost contact lens.
  12. It’s great for removing hair and lint from your clothes.
  13. It can be molded into replacement dice for your favorite board game.
  14. You can use it to open a twist-top bottle without hurting your hands.
  15. It can be fashioned into a worm and used as a surprisingly effective fishing lure.
  16. Stick it under your dog’s bowl so it doesn’t slide all over the floor.

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    The sad thing is that I don't really think it would even be good for any of those uses, either!  <laughing>

I do eat tofu on very rare occasions, I will confess, and it can be pretty good if you're on a vegetarian or vegan diet.  But I can't say I ever really love tofu.  I've seen recipes for a dish that has tofu and pork in it.  Say what???  If you can put pork in it, why in blazes put tofu in it?  Just put in more pork!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    My sister is a vegan so I will eat tofu a few times a year. She's made some grilled tofu that was pretty decent. I like it better than grilled eggplant but I think that may be due more to me hating eggplant rather than grilled tofu being fabulous. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Another use for it is taking up space in your garbage can.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    It's good if properly prepared. 

Just like any other food.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Ma-Po Tofu is pretty damn good.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    makes a great license plate

You love to what This is what the offensive plate might look like had it been on the back of Whitneys car

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    A friend made jambalaya recently with a chorizo flavored tofu for some international visitors that required a vegan diet. It was actually very good - the only time I can say that. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Another use for it is taking up space in your garbage can.
    ....and bandwidth on a forum (no disrespect to OP intended).
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Ma-Po Tofu is pretty damn good.
    Just jokin', but the reason it is good is that the sauce has Sichuan pepper in it that numbs the tongue.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    So, at the risk of using up more bandwidth, anyone tried grilling the stuff?
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Wall paper paste?
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Wait I got it....something you ask your husband to grill if you want a divorce??  
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    If you give it a liberal spraying of WD-40 it could be good for catfish bait? 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    You've omitted "doorstop", as well as "guest repellant". I kid, I kid...  :)
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I wonder if it's like ballistic gel. I think I will get a block tomorrow and test this theory. To see what the affect is in slow motion.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    You've omitted "doorstop", as well as "guest repellant". I kid, I kid...  :)
    Gopher hole filler?
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    All kidding aside I've had BBQ tofu nachos before that were good. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    A friend made jambalaya recently with a chorizo flavored tofu for some international visitors that required a vegan diet. It was actually very good - the only time I can say that. 
    Soyrizo is actually pretty good mixed in eggs - good breakfast tacos when camping.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I use it in several stir fries. Just like any other food it's good if prepared good. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    All kidding aside I've had BBQ tofu nachos before that were good. 
    You misspelled "revolting". 

Just kidding... I used to fry tofu to go on top of these great salads I'd make for myself and my wife.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Sneak it into a fellow eggers cooler at an eggfest to embarrass him...

Phoenix