Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on daisy wheel temp regulator

Options
Hi All, 
I am relatively new to the Egg world, and noticed that my Daisy Wheel Regulator is gumming up with a tarry substance. What is it and do I need to worry with removing it?  Appreciate any input. 

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Just throw it in the egg after every cook and don't worry about it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    No need to clean it off. Smoky gunk. 

Welcome to the forum!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Use a scraper to get it off. If it gets too gummy, put it in the pit when your done egging. You can even take the part that swivels off if you really want to scrape it good.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Hey Welcome, like @shtgunal3 said.  Post some cook pics.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    that is creosote - a common byproduct carried off in the smoke with the rising heat. Besides the remedies mentioned so far an occasional bath in household ammonia overnight will also do the trick.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Clean it too much and it spins too easily.  You want some amount of gunk, which is fat and soot.

Simply put it in the egg after the cook. Excess fat renders, and the thing stays seasoned. Two birds. One stone. 

I think this was my first real idea with the egg. And it came simply because i don't have a table and no where to store the thing anyway. So in the egg it went 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    The only time I clean it is if it gets so thick that crud can fall off. As said above, if you throw it in the cooker after you're done, you will rarely get there.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @darby_Crenshaw hit it on the head.  Lil gunk goes a long way with the DW

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I almost never even use mine. At temps from 300° and up, you don't need it. Maybe even less, not sure. But yeah, if you do use it, just set it on the grid after your cook.

And welcome!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut