Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with these pork butts?

Options
Keyrock
Keyrock Posts: 13
Just pulled two pork butts off the egg (9:00 AM) that I started last night. Won't be serving them until 5 PM (Would have preferred to start them this morning but schedule wouldn't allow it).

They are currently wrapped in foil and towels sitting in my cooler. How long can they safely sit like that? Can I keep them there until this evening? Should I refrigerate and re-heat? If so, what's the best way to re-heat? Thanks. 

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    You will probably be ok for an 8 hour FTC, I've seen people on here say that they have. Personally, I have never tried. If you check them later and they are getting close to 140 IT throw them in the oven on the lowest setting to keep them warm. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    agree with @Battleborn.  Check it at 4 hours, 6 hours, etc to see the internal temp.  When it get down close to 140, toss it in the oven at its lowest setting.  Keep it tightly wrapped in several layers of foil to keep it from losing liquid.  Save any drippings to pour back over the pulled pork.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    It'll probably stay warm enough, but the oven can help. As long as you didn't already pull/slice them you won't notice a huge difference in moisture. 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I've FTCd butts for up to 6 hrs and there were around 155 IT when I pulled them. Just an old Colemen cooler, not a new dangled cutting edge model !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I just use a plain old plastic cooler.  I fill it with real hot water first and let it sit for a few minutes, then dump the water and FTC.   Works great!!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I wet the towel every couple hours and nuke it in the micro for a few seconds to keep the cooler piping hot. 
  • Keyrock
    Keyrock Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the help. Pulled them at 9 AM at 205 IT. As of 4:00 PM, they had dropped to 155. Put them in the oven (still wrapped) set at 170 until guests began to arrive at 5:00. Everything turned out great. The pulled pork was a big hit. Thanks again. 
  • stichrunner
    stichrunner Posts: 103
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question cause I was wondering the same thing. I will be doing this tomorrow and never new when to pull the pork. I will ftc then when my people show up I will pull it apart. 
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • stichrunner
    stichrunner Posts: 103
    Options
    How big were the butts and how long did you cook them?
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore.