Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digi-Q help

Options
E-ville Egg
E-ville Egg Posts: 100
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum
sorry for a possible repeat post. I have difficulties searching the forum from my mobile device. I don't believe my fan is currently working on my digi-q. I have been sitting by my BGE while it has been hooked up and have yet to hear it kick on. I checked the electrical with a voltage meter and everything seems to be good. I don't really want to tear it apart tonight. Has this happened to anyone else and is there any fix or should I contact BBQ Guru about this? 

Thanks
Brett

Comments

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Make sure you have the cord from fan securely plugged into the controller.  
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Mine runs pretty constant

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• CharleyR
    CharleyR Posts: 103
    Options
    Yes to what BBQBuddy said.  I, too, had a problem until I realized my plugs had not fully engaged into the control unit.  Good luck!
    Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
    Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
    Naperville, IL
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    The other weak point is where the power cord goes into the blower unit and attaches to the blower motor.  It's reasonably easy to re-solder it if that's the problem ... then apply some RTV to absorb the stress.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Remove the temperature probe from the grill and stick it into some cold water see if it kicks in and as others said check all connections 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    The other weak point is where the power cord goes into the blower unit and attaches to the blower motor.  It's reasonably easy to re-solder it if that's the problem ... then apply some RTV to absorb the stress.
    +1 on this issue. My wires got torn off the connection under the sticker in the fan motor, even from minimal use. BBQ guru warrantied it and shipped me a new fan. I noticed they used some heavy duty "glue" of some type to secure the wires onto the fan motor. Ever since then, my guru runs like a champ 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Plugs not fully engaged is a common culprit. I hope that's it because it is an easy correction. Good luck!
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Be careful with those wires on the fan.  I had one come off and touch the other while the unit was running and it fried the control relay, it was only in run mode after that, no shutting off no matter how high the temp got.  Because the relay is so tiny I could not solder a new one on, I had to buy a new unit.

If all else fails, maybe the same thing happened to you but the relay is in the off position.  If this is the case you can buy the circuit board from bbq guru for a lot cheaper than a new unit.  I unfortunately did not know this until after I bought the new unit.  Also for anyone interested I believe the control relay is "Q5" on the circuit board,  I have it in an email somewhere but I think that is it.

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Its either one of wires came loose at fan connect...very flimsy thin connection, fan power plug not fully engage or unlikely faulty temperature probe

Im hoping its the secomd scenario. Unplug and re plug in amd test it by having probe out and crank up heat....

Good luck
  • E-ville Egg
    E-ville Egg Posts: 100
    Options
    Pretty sure I have a loose wire. I've unplugged and plugged it back in numerous times and I have voltage going thru cord. 
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    That happened to me a few months ago. Contacted the manufacturer. I set it back for them to review and got s replacement fan a couple days later. Still under warranty in my case.