Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too Soon?

Options
2»

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    In the next 30 days, I bet there won't be a gator within five miles of the park. Disney is gonna take care of their business...
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    In the next 30 days, I bet there won't be a gator within five miles of the park. Disney is gonna take care of their business...
    You know it!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    So, so sad.  Heart breaks for the fam.

I have been guilty of the same.  Went to Kauai, super pumped, we had a red stang convertible, pulled in, and the first beach I jumped into the ocean was Lumahai Beach.  Got pounded by huge waves, tough current, damn near drowned.  My ex would not go in.  When we rented gear, I mentioned to the lady how tough it was.  Nonshalant, she responded, "Yeah, we call that Lumadie Beach, nobody should swim there.  Many drownings each year."

Same goes for the Kalalau Trail, anywhere I travel, hunt climbing trees in BFE.  You have to respect your surroundings, and creatures you share the land with, and know your(fam included) limitations.  One false move, and it's game over. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• OpusXcellent
    Options
    Interestingly enough, I haven't seen anyone take the alligators side on this one. 
    #TeamAlligator if I am in Florida I am assuming every body of water has a gator in it.  Even steering clear of a puddle in the middle of the road.  You never know.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Awful tragedy.  
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Interestingly enough, I haven't seen anyone take the alligators side on this one. 
    I'll take the alligator's side all day long.
    How many did they kill looking for the body????
    The alligator did what comes naturally. If anything or anyone is to be blamed it should be the people who fed the aligators prior to this incident. No, I don't have any proof but it's common knowledge that wildlife will lose their fear of humans when regularly fed by them. Sooner or later the human doesn't offer food but has a tasty little treat, dog, or child at their side. The gator took his snack and left.
    On the contrary this country run by idiots will spend millions of dollars for room and board for the enemies who want us dead.
    Orlando: One gator kills one child and several are killed in the search.
    Orlando: One self-proclamed radical islamist kills dozens of people and we need to "understand" the muslim community! That's what is wrong with society today!!!!
    There is only one rule of engagement in war. Kill them before they kill you!
    I'm done talking now and will wait for the government thugs to knock down my door.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
      I grew up in Florida so it was common sense for us.  
    You are grown up?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've worked in SE Texas and Louisiana for work and alligators were around and I was always looking to make sure where they were.  We had to take water samplers in a refinery pond area that was called alligator pond.  One of my coworkers had to kneel down along the edge of the pond to collect the water sample while alligators from 3' to 6' swam nearby.  I believe we had to people with us with guns trained on the area if something happened.  It was pretty nerve racking especially for my coworker.  You always have to be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are.  I feel for the parents and family, but you have to watch out for your kids at all times.  Wasn't all of the family member's in the water when this happened? 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    My sister used to work at the visitors center at  Myakka River State Park in Sarasota .Some visiting tourist Bozo decided he was going for a swim where it tells you not to .My sister knew that there was a gator that hung out very close to where this Buster Crabbe was doing his back stroke and she started screaming at him to get the F**k out of the water .Well needless to say he ignored her until he finally saw Mr. Gator coming for him at a pretty good clip ,not until till then did that idiot decide to get out. My sister was real pissed at the jerk because if the gator ate this dope they would have to kill the gator and it would not have been the gator's fault .