Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When Do I Place The Apple Chunks?

Options
I'm trying to learn the best time, and easiest time to drop in my Apple chunks to smoke my ribs. Once I have everything including the Plate setter heated up, I find it a pain in the butt to pull out the Plate Setter and Racks to drop the Wood and put everything back in. Isn't their an easier way? Plus the plate setter would be hot, and I have to lift it all out with my gloves. Wouldn't everything cool off, which would waste the smoke to get back up to temp? Thanks, I hope I explained that good enough.

Comments

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    edited May 2016
    Options
    As you fill up lump you build layers within the lump. If doing anything below four hours put them around the midsection where you start your fire and then let it heat up and wait for the white smoke to clear.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    I don't find it that difficult to remove the preheated platesetter to add a chunk of smoke wood (yes I use just 1 fist sized chunk).  Just have your wood close and one quick move to lift PS and rest on Egg (stabilizing with other hand). I don't have any racks in there preheating at that point.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I put the wood in place before I add the plate setter.  As mentioned you can mix chips/chunks throughout the lump before you light.  Once I light the fire and it gets somewhat stabilized, I place some chunks/chips near the fire but not in it.  I find the egg burns hotter in the back, so I always put one chunk right on top in the 12:00 position at the back of the egg.  I have found that it is always burned up after I am done cooking. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    ^^^^^^This.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • BigGreenGator
    BigGreenGator Posts: 346
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    ^^^^^^This.
    X2

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    edited May 2016
    Options

Best 50 bucks I've spent is a PS Woo.  Not only raises the grid to the felt line but makes it easy to lift out the grid and placesetter.  I now put in Woo, place setter, empty foil drip pan and grid, get my temp to where I want it for low/slow, and then lift out everything by the handles on the Woo, drop in my wood, pour some liquid in the foil drip pan, and put my meat on.

If you buy one, and ever use a CI grid, get the PS Woo-CI.  It works on both the stainless and CI grids.  The regular Woo won't accommodate a CI grid.  They're the same price.  Take a look:  

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/pages/pswoo-ring-large-big-green-egg

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Ditto on the PS Woo. Besides the actual platesetter it's my most used eggsessorie.  I use it for a raised grate all the time too. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Hey Richee! Take home a pair of your old fireman's gloves and use those!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RICHIED777
    RICHIED777 Posts: 91
    Options
    Great advice! I will definitely look into the Woo. Do you know if the CI Platesetter works with the Woo? I would always be concerned about the smoke running out before I get the meat on.. :-). I need the white smoke to clear anyways, right? Thanks for the help! What's the most Racks of Ribs you all smoked on a Large? 
    How are you doing RRP!? My firefighter gloves don't do the trick like welding gloves. I know..I tried it. ha
  • RRP
    Options
    I just assumed you guys had some super-insulated gloves for touching burning things! BTW please tell Wendi hi for me!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I am probably in the minority here, but I like to simply light the charcoal and wait for "'ol blue" before adding wood chips to the surface. I feel that by mixing charcoal and wood prior to lighting, I have a harder time identifying when the acrid smoke has cleared (and as others have noted, am also burning through wood chips in the process). As I say, just a personal preference of mine; I'm sure many see it otherwise.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    I have the WOO and it stays in my egg 95% of the time. It's great for indirect with the platesetter or direct for grilling....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • RICHIED777
    Options
    How is the Woo for lets say 5 racks of ribs on Fathers Day..;-)
  • RICHIED777
    Options
    So Smokey, I'm assuming you DON'T mix? You place some on top, not in the fire, and a chunk near 1200. But you DON'T mix.

• RICHIED777
    Options
    Hey RRP! Me and Wendy got married on June 10th, in St.Pete Beach! It was the best experience. Loved it!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hey RRP! Me and Wendy got married on June 10th, in St.Pete Beach! It was the best experience. Loved it!
    Congrats to you both!  Good to see you around here.  

I was the sleeveless billy with the introvert(lol), eggin dillas off the back of a Chevy in Peoria, two years ago.  Had a great time chattin' with you guys.  

You should come down to Sterling this weekend for an eggfest at Prescotts' BBQ Shop.  

Again congrats bud.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    So Smokey, I'm assuming you DON'T mix? You place some on top, not in the fire, and a chunk near 1200. But you DON'T mix.

Sorry I am late on my reply.  Depending on what I am cooking I actually do both.  For a long cook like butts or brisket I mix throughout and also place some on top near the fire.  For shorter cooks I just put some wood on top near the fire.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I start the fire without the plate setter, let the fire stabilize, then add wood chunks mostly centrally, and add the plate setter.  The PS has never cracked from this, and I don't usually find that the temperature drops for very long.  I used to add no wood at all before putting in the plate setter and the meat, but some discussions on this forum have convinced me now to put some chunks in deeper, and again centrally, not throughout the lump, but I still add most of the chunks after the fire is stabilized and I'm putting in the plate setter.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    The only time I remove the plate setter to add wood is when I've forgotten to add the wood before putting the PS in the Egg.

Start the fire, stabilize temp, add the wood, add the PS, add the drip pan, add the grill, add the meat.

Since the vent is already set for temp, eventually it will come back.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• RRP
    Options
    Congrats Buddy!!! I knew she was a jewel when we first met! May you two live happily ever after!!!
  • RICHIED777
    Options
    RRP said:
    Congrats Buddy!!! I knew she was a jewel when we first met! May you two live happily ever after!!!
    Best week of my life!

• RICHIED777
    Options
    Thx RRP, she is indeed a gem..and she puts up with me!

• RICHIED777
    Options
    Whats up Focker! You threw me off with that "introvert" comment! lol. We have both dads coming over this weekend. Just have an Eggfest in your back yard, and we'll be there! lol 
  • RICHIED777
    Options

Sorry I am late on my reply.  Depending on what I am cooking I actually do both.  For a long cook like butts or brisket I mix throughout and also place some on top near the fire.  For shorter cooks I just put some wood on top near the fire.  
    Whats your thoughts on 5 racks of ribs 2-2-1, is this considered a long cook or short?

• SmokeyPitt
    Options

Whats your thoughts on 5 racks of ribs 2-2-1, is this considered a long cook or short?

I would probably mix some wood in through the lump and add some on top. 

• RICHIED777
    Options

I would probably mix some wood in through the lump and add some on top. 
    Thanks a lot!