Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Michelin or Goodyear?

Options
Terrebandit
Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
 Got a Chevy Silverado and got about 64K miles out of the stock Goodyear tires. These tires have no tread wear warranty but have been good tires, in my opinion.  I can replace them for about 600 bucks OTD.   Found a deal on a comparable Michelin tire. They have a 70k mile tread wear warranty. They cost about 275 more.  Are Michelin tires that much better than Goodyear tires?  I drive about 12k mikes per year on average.   Both tires would come with a road hazard warranty for the first 4 years or so, with replacement cost prorated based on tread wear. 
Dave - Austin, TX

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I believe Michelin is top quality. Not sure if they're worth that much more though. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I switched to Michelin's on my F-150 and they absolutely stick in the rain now.  I can't comment on head to head v Goodyear, but I won't blink about getting them again.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    After 4 or 5 years, tires lose significant traction through oxidation and evaporation of some compounds that make the tire grip.  This happens if you drive on them or not.  Faster if the vehicle is outside in hot weather.

Unless you drive a lot, you'll be safer with tires that aren't designed for 70k miles, that wear faster.   Look at the reviews at tirerack.com.
    Options
    I went through the same decisions back in November. I had to buy two sets, one for F150 4X4 and one set for Lexus. I started out wanting Michelins on both because of the popularity.

I researched many websites and talked to a lot of folks. I got a lot of varying input.

I ended up with Goodyear on my truck and Yokagawa on the Lexus. I am happy with both....no regrets.

But for personal experience...between Michelin and Goodyear...I can't help...sorry.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    I have experience with both when I had a Tahoe. Goodyear did a good job for me but I got over 90,000 miles on the Michelins.  I bought a Silverado in November, when it is time to replace the factory tires, I'll go with Michelin.  I think making sure to have tires rotated regularly helps extend the life as well.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    After 4 or 5 years, tires lose significant traction through oxidation and evaporation of some compounds that make the tire grip.  This happens if you drive on them or not.  Faster if the vehicle is outside in hot weather.

Unless you drive a lot, you'll be safer with tires that aren't designed for 70k miles, that wear faster.   Look at the reviews at tirerack.com.
    Added to the above the higher mileage tires get their durability by mfg. making the rubber compound with a significantly higher durometer.  That's why they last longer- they are hard. The downside is often reduced traction- 

but in answer to your question- my experience has been that Michelin makes a quieter tire (if tread pattern is comparable). To me they are a better riding tire but up to you what's that is worth.

Greensboro, NC
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you are a Costco member check there they run $70 off a set of michelins every other month and they have free rotations and road hazard is included. 
  • TN22
    TN22 Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree with Wolfpack, my experience is the Michelin is a quieter tire and I like the ride better. I replaced the Goodyears on my car with Michelins and to me the traction (in the rain) and ride were much better in my opinion.
    Large BGE, MiniMax to camp with
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    My stock Goodyears lasted a whopping 30,000 miles on my truck. Michelins are the way to go, well worth the added expense in the long run.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    http://www.belletire.com/tire-sizes/64447/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-ta-ko2

I don't know if it works the same everywhere but at Belle Tire (here in MI), if you purchase BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO2 tires, the tread wear is prorated.

I think they are good for 65,000 or 50,000 depending on the tire size.  If you show up with only 35,000 on them and they are worn, they will give you credit towards new ones.  Once I was given $400 off the $800 set.   
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    never bought tires for good tire wear, quiet ride, highway handling. goodyear is lousy off road, the tires have a soft sidewall that bulges instead of riding over a log and lifting it. prefer a tire with deep lugs that will get me over a snow covered lake instead of quitly taking gentle curves on a highway. you did say these were going on a truck right. i buy bfg's and replace every third winter regardless of how long they look to last, they are LOUD noisy rough riding bumpy tires that blow the shocks apart =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    what about bridgestone?  i  am a huge fan and as soon as my stockers wear out they are always replaced by bridgestone 
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Good years (aftermarket ) came on my gmc when I bought it...tires were almost bald after putting 20k miles on them ... Durability was piss poor.. Having to change a flat once a week for a month... Each tire failed at one point or another I went with BF Goodrich (same parent company as Michelin ) and couldn't be happier ... 

I've had 4 sets of Goodrich tires , each one getting atleasf 50k miles of life with frequent rotation 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Michelins are all I have bought since 16, when I put some GY Eagle STs on my Thunderbird.  Not one flat, failure of any kind.

Michelin Defenders are on my Taco.  
    Recently put a set of BFG(Michelin) AT T/A KO2s on my Chevy.  Great tire on or off the road, in snow, and towing too.  The AT T/A KO1 was already legendary.  BFG/Michelin improved on that with the KO2.  Rides smoother on the road, and much quieter.  A good balance IMO of on/off road performance.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I currently gave Goodyears on my Silverado from the factory. Piss poor traction in the rain. They went good in the snow though.
    I got Hankooks for the wifes Tahoe as she doesn't put as many miles on it. She previously had Michelins on that. She is satisfied with the Hankooks.
    I will most likely get Michelins for my Silverado. Great wet and snow traction and quiet to boot. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    I'm with @nolaegghead here.  Give tirerack a look.  I don't know about the specific tires you are looking at but that site allows side-by-side comparison as well as the reviews.  They will drop ship to listed installers as well.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
     i just put bridgestone duellers on my silverado   about a month ago...  2nd time i have done so after putting on other manufacturers...  these tires give a good ride and last.

last week i just put michelins on the wife odyssey..  same as the factory had on.  they ride good as well.

• Fayborg
    Fayborg Posts: 82
    Options
    I have Michelins LTX on my Tahoe. I rotate them once a year, had them for six and a half years and have over 95 thousand miles on them.  I'm am just getting to the tread wear bars. The have been great in the rain and snow along with being quiet. I don't think I would have had those results with other brands.
     Now my dilemma is do I buy them again, will I keep the Tahoe for another hundred thousand miles.  I probably will
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I used to run Michelins exclusively but they started thinking way too highly of themselves price wise. I've had good success with other brands and saved $400-500 over the Michelins each time. For where I live, it works for me.